The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PTO] Travis Hamonic with Canucks

5 minutes ago, dontaylorforprez said:

How come it’s a PTO, why can’t they just sign him? Is it our cap?

Have to wait until season starts to put Ferland on LTIR, then sign him.

Same thing the Blues are doing with Hoffman.

Edited by aGENT
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

Ferland on LTIR isn't a lock.  We all think so but Benning can't make that assumption.  Good job Jim.

He's not going to be at camp and is reportedly still having symptoms. I think it's a pretty safe bet.

I hope he takes the whole year off, gets loads of treatment (like Crosby) and maybe see how he's doing come playoff time (at the earliest!) when there's no cap.

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I think you're right about everything but that part, I don't think he see's much if any PP time, unless the plan is to not have Edler on PP2.

I think Greens comments about having another guy that can help close out games is what the coaching staff is most excited about. 

Maybe so Jimmy.  Eddie has the better offensive upside for sure.  I'm just not sure if his point shot is as accurate as Travis'.  At least he will be and alternative, if need be.

8 minutes ago, aGENT said:

He's not going to be at camp and is reportedly still having symptoms. I think it's a pretty safe bet.

I hope he takes the whole year off, gets loads of treatment (like Crosby) and maybe see how he's doing come playoff time (at the earliest!) when there's no cap.

Ferland came back when nobody thought he should before.  If Benning had Hamonic signed and Ferland came back, he should be fired.  It would put him in a terrible and unforgivable place.

We all know how tough this is on Ferland to make this decision.  He's giving up on his hopes and dreams since he was a little kid.  He has had a decent NHL career.  335 games may be short but it ain't no cup of coffee.  He should effectively retire, ride out his contract on LTIR and collect the money.  It's definitely the right call for him and his family

13 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

Ferland came back when nobody thought he should before.  If Benning had Hamonic signed and Ferland came back, he should be fired.  It would put him in a terrible and unforgivable place.

We all know how tough this is on Ferland to make this decision.  He's giving up on his hopes and dreams since he was a little kid.  He has had a decent NHL career.  335 games may be short but it ain't no cup of coffee.  He should effectively retire, ride out his contract on LTIR and collect the money.  It's definitely the right call for him and his family

I keep hearing mentioned that Ferland’s contract is not insured. I am not exactly sure what that means. Maybe he wouldn’t collect the rest of his contract on LTIR? 

3 minutes ago, reyezone said:

I keep hearing mentioned that Ferland’s contract is not insured. I am not exactly sure what that means. Maybe he wouldn’t collect the rest of his contract on LTIR? 

I imagine that he would still collect, but the team would need to pay it out of their pockets, rather than having an insurance company pay it.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, reyezone said:

Means the owner still has to pay him rather than it being covered by insurance.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

23 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

He doesn't need to "retire" now, he could sit out the year to recover and see how he feels come playoffs. Then the next year, go from there. Just take it slowly and if he really cannot return, then he can decide to LTIRetire.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Provost said:

Folks should also keep their expectations reasonable.  We aren't getting Willie Mitchell in his prime.  We are getting a (high end) 3rd pairing guy who can easily play in the top 4 in case of injury.  He has played more than 20 minutes a night every year... but maybe that is the issue with him declining in play, might just be too much at this point.  A big upgrade on Benn.

Hamonic is a downgrade from Tanev, but the contract cap hit and term matter a lot.  Who knows, things could go really well as he becomes a legit top 4D again and partners with Hughes... but don't expect that as a realistic hope.

Hamonic doesn’t have to be an upgrade on Tanev, Schmidt was. Hamonic is the upgrade on Stecher. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Vintage 1