The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PTO] Travis Hamonic with Canucks

1 hour ago, Pickly said:

Tanev is a compete wild card. He’s good for 50-60 games and plays an exceptional game when healthy but that’s a big if. Ah man I love me

some Tanev but this is a great replacement even is he doesnt eat as many minutes.

A bit harsh. Tanev isn't the kind of player who'll stand out every game but he's always very good and dependable in his own zone, which is what you need from top-4 shutdown D.

The x-factor with Tanev, which is what you've alluded to, is his injury history. Those of us who've been following him throughout his career understand that last year was an anomaly. The Flames will probably find out the hard way. 

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Virtanen#18 said:

Great news!! I knew this was gonna happen as neither side got a lot of options...  Rather have him than Rafferty or Chatfield as our second RHD.... Can't wait to see if Hoglander is good enough to take a top 9 winger spot!! 

Hoglanders skill set is needed on this team. Very shifty, skilled & fast. 2 way play probably needs some work though. 

• Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, elvis15 said:

Guaranteed he was looking for a Canadian team to play for. I'm surprised no one else offered to pick him up. It may just be us showcasing him as well, although that's less likely since we could use him and PTOs are a little different this year. Interested to see how this plays out though.

He may have had offers but considering he wanted to be in Western Canada and he will likely be on a one year show me deal, Vancouver is a great option for him.

3 hours ago, Where's Wellwood said:

Would Hamonic or Vatanen be a better PTO/cheap contract for the 3rd pairing?

I think Vatanen is the better all-arounder, but if we're looking specifically for defense, Hamonic is probably better. Hamonic is also possible cheaper.

7 minutes ago, Where's Wellwood said:

I'm surprised Edmonton isn't offering more. 

Given Vancouver's recent trend and overall hype around the league, he may be willing to make less money to play for a more exciting team.

4 minutes ago, Where's Wellwood said:

McD and Drai aren't exciting enough for him? Especially with Klefbom out

I think those two are insanely exciting, but they (the team) have been both up and down. Vancouver seems to be on a sharp trend upward right now whereas Edmonton just suffered a humiliating play-in round exit.

3 minutes ago, Where's Wellwood said:

Well they replaced him with barrie, and I got a feeling edm wasn’t calling him with offers to run there pp1, 

im curious what our D will look like if/when try comes over and I’m happy we can shelter juolevi and rathbone rotate them in and out of the lineup not to much thrown upon them at once perfect grooming scenario.

hughes- schmidt 

edler-myers

tryamkin-hamonic 

That bottom 4 is mean 

• Cheers 1

I really liked this news, I'm pumped! We desperately needed another penalty killer with the departure of Stecher and we're getting that and more with Hamonic. 

Benning has done a fantastic job imo of rebuilding our defence (with a little bit of luck) in the offseason. Schmidt fell to his lap and we're going to get Hamonic at a discounted covid deal.

Schmidt is a huge upgrade on Tanev offensively and style of play. Hamonic is basically a bigger Stecher with a little bit more shot blocking and grit, possibly win more board battles than Stech with his size.

oh and we signed Holtby who was arguably the 2nd best goaltender in the market for Ian Clark to rehabilitate back to Vezina calibre. B)

on paper our defence looks so much better.

Edler - Schmidt 

Hughes - Myers

Juolevi - Hamonic

• Cheers 2

11 minutes ago, Where's Wellwood said:

Rest of the team is absolutely dreadful.  The top 6 don't backcheck, the bottom 6 are AHLers, and they have 2 bad AHL goalies.  Not the ideal situation for a shutdown guy to showcase himself.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Is Vancouver allowed to sign Calgary UFA's?

I thought it was a one way street to Calgary?

Nah, Hamonic is from MANitoba not ALBERetreating :ph34r:

1 hour ago, elvis15 said:

Guaranteed he was looking for a Canadian team to play for. I'm surprised no one else offered to pick him up. It may just be us showcasing him as well, although that's less likely since we could use him and PTOs are a little different this year. Interested to see how this plays out though.

He wants to be closer to his family, western Canada preferred.

Is Tanev 4.5m x term better then Hamonic? 

27 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Given Vancouver's recent trend and overall hype around the league, he may be willing to make less money to play for a more exciting team.

He wants western Canada's teams, i think he wanted to go to the Jets TBH.

That's the most surprising part if this pto/ signing. Like the Jets don't have the cap to toss Hamonic 2ish million!?

The Jets with how the D has looked since Byfuglien, Myers, Trouba and Chariot all left should hage been all over him!

• Thanks 1

I'm on board with getting Hamonic for sure if the price is right. I do feel I want to see Schmidt scoring more than being put up against the top competition, so this makes up for at least some of the defensive ability we lost in Tanev.

I see:

Edler Schmidt

Hughes Hamonic

Juolevi Myers

Or

Edler Schmidt

Hughes Myers

Juolevi Hamonic

The only negative is that it does block a young guy like Rafferty from getting in, but injuries always happen to us and especially with a compressed season, they will get their chance.

I feel like the D will be noticably upgraded from last year. Schmidt gives us another true scoring threat aside from Hughes, which will be a huge boost. Defensively, I figure we are about the same, but we don't have to hold our breath every time Tanev gets hit with a puck or body. We get bigger overall, which is a plus as well. Stecher plays bigger than he is, but his size was always a liability.

• Cheers 3

Trust in JB, this off season looked depressing at the start but Hamonic + Schmidt >>> an older Tanev and Stecher.

Toffoli and Markstrom are still obvious losses but hopefully we can replace Toffoli's offence from within and who knows what Demko will bring this year.

On the whole I think we're even - better defence, same offence, worse goaltending slightly. Will be interesting in a tougher division though.

Most importantly, Hamonic brings us another penalty killer so it's not all down to Schmidt, Edler and Myers.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

3 hours ago, Bell said:

My buddy is a Flames fan and he really really wants us to sign Hamonic.  He said he is a complete disaster. 

My friend has a bridge to sell you.

Honestly the flames entire D core wasn't great last year.

Not sure what the reason is but D that get traded there seem to regress (Hanafin, Dougie) and in Dougies case was much better once traded.

Also and this is saying something, there is not a fanbase in Canada I loathe more.

When you see fanbases from Edmonton, Toronto and Vancouver in agreement on something, that's saying something.

4 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Just like Jets fans were happy we signed Myers.

How’d that work out for the Jets D core again?

Hamonic on a cheap deal is a no brainer. Gonna need his pk abilities.

I remember that but honestly I think that was more because they new he was leaving no matter what and like most breakups the crap flinging is part of the moving on process lol.

As someone from the area, I think the Jets had the best fans but the Jets 2.0 millennial fans have developed a bit of a complex due to no player really wanting to play there and constantly winning the "worst city to play road games at"  

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Leafs hands down best in the Canadian division..... :rolleyes:<_<

Pffftt not so fast

As someone high on joulevi, I already though our Dcore was best in the North div. Adding Hamonic pretty much confirms it. Not saying he's a superstar but aside from last year he was considered a top 4 guy and hopefully the rest adds a spring to his step.

In any case, he is a clear upgrade on Stech who honestly if he wasn't from here wouldn't be regarded nearly the same here IMO. 

4 hours ago, Drakrami said:

This will be huge if we can somehow get Hamonic under our cap. The defense will suddenly become from being one of our weak points to our strongest strength. If our goalies gets it together, we are looking at an exciting cup run. 

I think with Ferland on LTIR that leaves us with 3 mill in cap space. Depending on who gets waived another 2.2 mill opens up.

Not a cap guru but waiting to sign Hamonic allows us to build cap space opposed to Summer LTI, which bodes well for the TDL.

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1