The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PTO] Travis Hamonic with Canucks

6 minutes ago, luckylager said:

You never had 

Edler Hughes

Schmidt Myers

Joulevi Hamonic

I don’t think they’ll play Schmidt on his off side.

Hughes and Edler need to be split up IMO.

Two most consistent defensemen. They need to be on different pairs.

Edited by DeNiro

Quite interested in how our defense is going to round out. Going to be lots of competition between the likes of Hamonic, Rafferty, Juolevi, Chatfield, Rathbone, etc. 

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I don’t think they’ll play Schmidt on his off side.

Hughes and Edler need to be split up IMO.

Too most consistent defensemen. They need to be on different pairs.

And you're fully underestimating Schmidt.

He's very consistent. 

Dudes a full blown stud

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, luckylager said:

And you're fully underestimating Schmidt.

He's very consistent. 

Dudes a full blown stud

Don’t know enough about his game and what he’ll bring here.

As it stands right now Edler and Hughes still have to be considered our two best D men.

Just now, Where's Wellwood said:

I've read that Hamonic's children are immunocompromised. That's why he opted out of the Return-to-play this summer. 

Also requested to be traded closer to Winnipeg from NYI to help out his mother.  Should fit in just fine with this group.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Phil_314 said:

For a discounted price definitely down for Hamonic.  If I'm coach I'd keep Edler fresh for PK/ secondary PP duties, and Schmidt for second unit PP QB.  If Juolevi is top-4 ready we could roll 3 relatively balanced lines which would help keep everyone fresh.

Hughes - Myers
Juolevi - Schmidt 
Edler - Hamonic

A signing of Hamonic would open up a lot of opportunity to give kids a chance well insulating the youngsters from injuries. If its a 1-2 year deal at a reasonable cap hit we can protect Hamonic and let Myers be available in the expansion draft.  As of right now I would want to protect Myers as much as he is criticized on here. 

• Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I was under the impression he was stronger on the right side though.

Thats according to Gallant a couple seasons ago though.

He's listed as LD/RD on capfriendly. He's a left handed dman that has played mostly on the right in Vegas. Not sure if that's due to the fact that Vegas had 5 Lefty's on defense which maybe showed Gallant that he was one of the best of the bunch to be able to play the right side.

I actually like the idea or Schmidt with Myers due to them being able to take the brunt of the 5v5 time while Edler and Hughes are the "2nd pair" but have their minutes bumped up due to heavy special teams use. Edler could be a smart defensive dman much like Tanev was to mesh well with Hughes. We could throw out Edler-Schmidt in a shutdown situation or Hughes-Schmidt in a offensive situation if needed. Lots of flexibility.

• Cheers 3

13 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I don’t think it would be Hamonic and Schmidt.

I think they would plug him in Tanevs spot. But Juolevi and Myers could definitely be playing together.

Edler Schmidt

Hughes Hamonic 

Juolevi Myers

Or

Edler Schmidt 

Hughes Myers

Juolevi Hamonic

Or

Edler Hamonic

Hughes Schmidt 

Juolvei Myers

Ya I could see that. Edler is such a steady presence, put him and Schmidt as the matchup pair then Hamonic can fit in alongside Hughes. You know playing w/ Huggy will make his life much easier than it's been the last few years. 

I like how much versatility we have now with Myers/Hamonic both being very capable veterans & Schmidt being able to play either side.

Hughes/Edler/Schmidt can all anchor a pair if say, Juolevi breaks out as a capable #4/5, and you want to balance the D out. Or you can slide Schmidt over & stack a pair.

You could conceivably have any of the RS guys playing with any LS guy. Haven't had this versatility in awhile.