The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Travis Hamonic l #27 l D

-DLC-

Just now, dpn1 said:

I have liked Woo so far.  I would not be surprised to see him in Vancouver at some point this season.  How has he looked to you all? B)

Will be a good replacement for Hamonic I’m just not sure he’s ready.

We need whoever replaces Hamonic to be able to kill penalties.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

Will be a good replacement for Hamonic I’m just not sure he’s ready.

We need whoever replaces Hamonic to be able to kill penalties.

Woo really improved on the defensive end of his game last year in Utica.  He seemed to be used on the PP and PK last year as well.  He and Rathbone were a great pairing when Rathbone was in Utica. B)

1 hour ago, -AJ- said:

Good to know. Makes me think then that our hands are a bit tied. Couldn't terminate his contract then and he would just have to play within the restrictions of an unvaccinated player. Could he play games in the US while unvaccinated or is that not possible either?

Unvaccinated players are tested daily and that might be sufficient to play in most, if not all, US venues.   It's returning to Canada the issue given quarantine requirements.  The NHL has decided not to apply for national interest exemption this season.  There would have likely been less vaccinated players if they had.  

This season every arena is allowed to be a 100% capacity other than Vancouver (50%) and Montreal (33%).  Some venues require vaccination and masking but others don't require anything - no masks, testing or vaccination.  It's somewhat different than last season with the empty arenas and knowing everyone on site is vaccinated.  

• Thanks 1

Just now, mll said:

Unvaccinated players are tested daily and that might be sufficient to play in most, if not all, US venues.   It's returning to Canada the issue given quarantine requirements.  The NHL has decided not to apply for national interest exemption this season.  There would have likely been less vaccinated players if they had.  

This season every arena is allowed to be a 100% capacity other than Vancouver (50%) and Montreal (33%).  Some venues require vaccination and masking but others don't require anything - no masks, testing or vaccination.  It's somewhat different than last season with the empty arenas and knowing everyone on site is vaccinated.  

So assuming Hamonic never contracted COVID, he'd still have to miss many games due to quarantine requirements upon returning to Canada. It would almost be easier just to leave him in the States and play only road games there--but then he can't practice much with the team and it becomes difficult to see him as a part of the regular team.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

So assuming Hamonic never contracted COVID, he'd still have to miss many games due to quarantine requirements upon returning to Canada. It would almost be easier just to leave him in the States and play only road games there--but then he can't practice much with the team and it becomes difficult to see him as a part of the regular team.

There are 41 home games.  Might be more practical to skip the road games and continue to skate at home while the team is abroad. 

Benning on Sportsnet 650 said that it would put a strain to have an unvaccinated player on the team given all the requirements.  It also wouldn't allow Green to do what he wants to do - it would disrupt chemistry of lines/pairings as they'd have to adjust for all the games missed.  

Holland estimates that an unvaccinated player could miss about 30 games due to quarantine requirements.  He also wonders if the player would even draw in on day 15 after spending 14 days in quarantine. 

23 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

At this point the best thing for both parties would be for him to opt out of the season.

Let his contract slide to next season. That way he doesn’t put himself or family at risk and he doesn’t lose out on any money.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, mll said:

There are 41 home games.  Might be more practical to skip the road games and continue to skate at home while the team is abroad. 

Benning on Sportsnet 650 said that it would put a strain to have an unvaccinated player on the team given all the requirements.  It also wouldn't allow Green to do what he wants to do - it would disrupt chemistry of lines/pairings as they'd have to adjust for all the games missed.  

Holland estimates that an unvaccinated player could miss about 30 games due to quarantine requirements.  He also wonders if the player would even draw in on day 15 after spending 14 days in quarantine. 

So I guess an unvaccinated player would be allowed to play in some games in Canadian rinks? It sounds like Rogers Arena is off limits though (unless I'm wrong and you don't need to be vaccinated to enter the arena), so that would limit him to only road games vs Canadian teams to avoid quarantine requirements, which would mostly just be games in Winnipeg, Calgary, and Edmonton, assuming those rinks allow in unvaccinated players.

Suffice it to say that it's unlikely that Green or Benning would want such an onerous arrangement.

2 hours ago, khay said:

Fortunately, our incapable and stupid GM signed Poolman and Schenn. Which means we at least have 3 RDs to start the season.

Assuming Hughes re-signs,

OEL-Poolman

QH-Schenn

OJ-Myers

Rathbone-Woo (they will start in the AHL but will be called up during the season)

Yep, posted on the Poolman thread too but it's worth reiterating how valuable he will be for us now.

If Schenn is a regular in our top 4 we’re gonna have a bad time.

I know everyone loved him there to stick up for Hughes but I don’t think he has the foot speed or the shutdown ability that Hughes needs in a partner.

I see our top 4 being:

OEL Myers

Hughes Poolman

And then a bottom pair of:

Juolevi Demers

or

Rathbone Schenn 

• Cheers 2

12 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I know everyone loved him there to stick up for Hughes but I don’t think he has the foot speed or the shutdown ability that Hughes needs in a partner.

I see our top 4 being:

OEL Myers

Hughes Poolman

Juolevi Demers

or

Rathbone Schenn 

If schenn is in our top 4 we in trouble he would be best in the 6-7 position 

Sounds like Hamonic's done in Vancouver. Good news is that 3M could be potentially freed up. We just need to find some kind of replacement (if need be), and the money can be used to pay Hughes/Pettersson, with 1M left over for a defenseman of some kind.

Article written by Rob Simpson

https://vancouverhockeynow.com/2021/09/28/vancouver-canucks-nhl-jim-benning-travis-hamonic-rob-simpson/

Vancouver Canucks

With Hamonic Out, Ultimately the Canucks are the “Victims”

Whether it’s opting out of the season, which is irreversible and must be decided by Friday, retirement, or trade, Travis Hamonic is not returning to the Vancouver Canucks. Barring a shocking reversal by the player, the Canucks likely top-pair right defenseman has gone AWOL (Absent Without Leave, to use an old military term).

It leaves Vancouver Canucks General Manager Jim Benning left holding an empty bag.

When Hamonic signed a two-year, $3-million per season deal on July 28, should we really have expected the team’s GM to say, “Now remember Travis, there’s a pandemic, you’re sure you want to play, right?”

No. Reasons aside, lack of vaccination and family matters are apparently the issue here. Of course, to be fair to Hamonic, Covid optimism and the outlook has changed to a degree since July, when many of us believed the pandemic might be mostly on its way out by the time hockey season started.

Obviously, it’s still omnipresent and strict protocols are in place.

We won’t get into personal reasoning or beliefs. Some have suggested the best way for Hamonic to protect his family is to get vaccinated, but that’s not for us to say. There is absolutely nothing malicious here regarding his decision or his status. Reasons not withstanding, GM Benning is ultimately the “victim” of the scenario if it plays out as expected.

Right or wrong, fans have a right to complain about any maneuver a team’s management makes. They’re ultimately paying the bills. But in this case, Benning signed a blueliner in good faith, who had played 38 games with the Canucks last season. He appeared to have decent chemistry with young star defenceman Quinn Hughes and signed for a pretty decent sum. Hamonic’s career-high salary was just more than $3.8-million in when he signed for seven years with the New York Islanders back in 2013.

Four years into the deal, he decided he wanted to go home to Manitoba, or as close as possible, to be near his family. His request was honoured  in June of 2017 when the Calgary Flames shipped a first-rounder and two second-rounders to the Islanders in exchange for Hamonic and a fourth-round pick.

After three years in Alberta to finish that contract he signed in Vancouver last year for one season at $1.25-million dollars, which means he’d be walking away from a pretty good raise, not that far from his career max’. That $3-million cap hit would immediately be available to the Canucks. A consolation prize, yes, that can be utilized to potentially sweeten the pot and speed up a resolution to the Quinn Hughes and Elias Pettersson contract impasse with agent Pat Brisson. If you think the agent isn’t waiting to see what happens to Hamonic’s money over the next few days, you’re kidding yourself. In fact, they could negotiate today with that potential money in mind. Negotiations are indeed taking place today, very likely as I speak.

But the consolation prize is just that. The bigger issue is the D-corps. If any money remains it won’t replace Hamonic, and what’s considered the weak spot on the roster, the back-end, only gets shallower. That’s a problem for a manager and coach who’s survival revolves around making the playoffs.

Meanwhile, we were told Monday afternoon that the Canucks are considering the trade option, and why wouldn’t they. There is no rush from their perspective, unless they think they can get a valuable player in return. That’s unlikely for cap reasons especially considering the aforementioned negotiations. They’re likely left trying to solve the D-issue internally for now. Overall, they can trade this contract at any time even when the player is sitting out and even after the trade deadline, as Hamonic would be ineligible to play. Good luck finding takers. Vancouver would likely have to include other considerations, another reason to be extremely annoyed. Even if they’re not getting an actual player and a cap hit in return, they have every reason to want to eventually unload Hamonic. If he opts out, are they really going to count on him coming back next summer and being ready to play? Regardless of why, how would they feel about being jilted? How would those in the dressing room feel, particularly if this player isn’t vaxxed?

From Hamonic’s perspective, if he’s not vaxxed, the trade scenario would indeed involve a rush job. He’d be able to play in more games this season with a US team simply based on the number of franchises south of the border. Cross-border play would be next-to-impossible based on quarantine rules etc., so not being vaxxed and playing a limited number of games with a Canadian franchise is not an option. Although ironic based on his earlier work location desires and the fact he’d be away from family, one could understand an interest in moving south to keep his career going; he’s 31-years-old and should have a lot of hockey left. Then again, what team would want a part-time player who would potentially have to sit out a playoff series. Again, it would likely involve the Canucks somehow sweetening the pot to lose the cap hit.

Ultimately, one can see why the Vancouver Canucks would want to wash their hands of this player, just as Travis Hamonic has apparently washed his hands of the Vancouver Canucks. We’ll have an answer in about the next 72 hours.

Edited by Dazzle

24 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I see our top 4 being:

OEL Myers

Hughes Poolman

Juolevi Demers

or

Rathbone Schenn 

It's funny. I actually had Hamonic on my top pairing with OEL. 

What a headache.

What confuses me is how this contract was signed at all if Hamonic's future was in question. Did Hamonic not have his concerns when he signed? Did Benning not do his due diligence in ensuring every player he signed was willing to get poked?

10 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

It's funny. I actually had Hamonic on my top pairing with OEL. 

What a headache.

What confuses me is how this contract was signed at all if Hamonic's future was in question. Did Hamonic not have his concerns when he signed? Did Benning not do his due diligence in ensuring every player he signed was willing to get poked?

Given that Hamonic signed the 2 years, demonstrating that he had a commitment to the team, but now says that he wants to play for the States, I think we can see what happened. Seems like Hamonic flip-flopped about what he wanted. Now he wants to sit out without mutually ending the contract. I think he wants the commitment, but doesn't want to commit.

Sorry, I don't like how Hamonic handled this situation. I wanted to believe he did this for his family, but his lack of vaccine (supposedly) and his desire to play elsewhere (also allegedly the case) says otherwise. I'm ready to move on from him.

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Given that Hamonic signed the 2 years, demonstrating that he had a commitment to the team, but now says that he wants to play for the States, I think we can see what happened. Seems like Hamonic flip-flopped about what he wanted. Now he wants to sit out without mutually ending the contract. I think he wants the commitment, but doesn't want to commit.

Sorry, I don't like how Hamonic handled this situation. I wanted to believe he did this for his family, but his lack of vaccine (supposedly) and his desire to play elsewhere (also allegedly the case) says otherwise. I'm ready to move on from him.

I'm not going to get into his justification for not getting poked, but if he was willing to get the vaccine and then changed his mind after signing the contract I feel that should be justification for straight up contract termination.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I'm not going to get into his justification for not getting poked, but if he was willing to get the vaccine and then changed his mind after signing the contract I feel that should be justification for straight up contract termination.

Agreed. I think he and the Canucks should move into contract termination. However, it's possible that the Canucks want to do him a favour and give him to a team that needs his services, in exchange for someone we could use.

I found this earlier, but you might have missed this post.

Edited by Dazzle
  • Cheers 1

34 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Sounds like Hamonic's done in Vancouver. Good news is that 3M could be potentially freed up. We just need to find some kind of replacement (if need be), and the money can be used to pay Hughes/Pettersson, with 1M left over for a defenseman of some kind.

Article written by Rob Simpson

https://vancouverhockeynow.com/2021/09/28/vancouver-canucks-nhl-jim-benning-travis-hamonic-rob-simpson/

Vancouver Canucks

With Hamonic Out, Ultimately the Canucks are the “Victims”

Whether it’s opting out of the season, which is irreversible and must be decided by Friday, retirement, or trade, Travis Hamonic is not returning to the Vancouver Canucks. Barring a shocking reversal by the player, the Canucks likely top-pair right defenseman has gone AWOL (Absent Without Leave, to use an old military term).

It leaves Vancouver Canucks General Manager Jim Benning left holding an empty bag.

When Hamonic signed a two-year, $3-million per season deal on July 28, should we really have expected the team’s GM to say, “Now remember Travis, there’s a pandemic, you’re sure you want to play, right?”

No. Reasons aside, lack of vaccination and family matters are apparently the issue here. Of course, to be fair to Hamonic, Covid optimism and the outlook has changed to a degree since July, when many of us believed the pandemic might be mostly on its way out by the time hockey season started.

Obviously, it’s still omnipresent and strict protocols are in place.

We won’t get into personal reasoning or beliefs. Some have suggested the best way for Hamonic to protect his family is to get vaccinated, but that’s not for us to say. There is absolutely nothing malicious here regarding his decision or his status. Reasons not withstanding, GM Benning is ultimately the “victim” of the scenario if it plays out as expected.

Right or wrong, fans have a right to complain about any maneuver a team’s management makes. They’re ultimately paying the bills. But in this case, Benning signed a blueliner in good faith, who had played 38 games with the Canucks last season. He appeared to have decent chemistry with young star defenceman Quinn Hughes and signed for a pretty decent sum. Hamonic’s career-high salary was just more than $3.8-million in when he signed for seven years with the New York Islanders back in 2013.

Four years into the deal, he decided he wanted to go home to Manitoba, or as close as possible, to be near his family. His request was honoured  in June of 2017 when the Calgary Flames shipped a first-rounder and two second-rounders to the Islanders in exchange for Hamonic and a fourth-round pick.

After three years in Alberta to finish that contract he signed in Vancouver last year for one season at $1.25-million dollars, which means he’d be walking away from a pretty good raise, not that far from his career max’. That $3-million cap hit would immediately be available to the Canucks. A consolation prize, yes, that can be utilized to potentially sweeten the pot and speed up a resolution to the Quinn Hughes and Elias Pettersson contract impasse with agent Pat Brisson. If you think the agent isn’t waiting to see what happens to Hamonic’s money over the next few days, you’re kidding yourself. In fact, they could negotiate today with that potential money in mind. Negotiations are indeed taking place today, very likely as I speak.

But the consolation prize is just that. The bigger issue is the D-corps. If any money remains it won’t replace Hamonic, and what’s considered the weak spot on the roster, the back-end, only gets shallower. That’s a problem for a manager and coach who’s survival revolves around making the playoffs.

Meanwhile, we were told Monday afternoon that the Canucks are considering the trade option, and why wouldn’t they. There is no rush from their perspective, unless they think they can get a valuable player in return. That’s unlikely for cap reasons especially considering the aforementioned negotiations. They’re likely left trying to solve the D-issue internally for now. Overall, they can trade this contract at any time even when the player is sitting out and even after the trade deadline, as Hamonic would be ineligible to play. Good luck finding takers. Vancouver would likely have to include other considerations, another reason to be extremely annoyed. Even if they’re not getting an actual player and a cap hit in return, they have every reason to want to eventually unload Hamonic. If he opts out, are they really going to count on him coming back next summer and being ready to play? Regardless of why, how would they feel about being jilted? How would those in the dressing room feel, particularly if this player isn’t vaxxed?

From Hamonic’s perspective, if he’s not vaxxed, the trade scenario would indeed involve a rush job. He’d be able to play in more games this season with a US team simply based on the number of franchises south of the border. Cross-border play would be next-to-impossible based on quarantine rules etc., so not being vaxxed and playing a limited number of games with a Canadian franchise is not an option. Although ironic based on his earlier work location desires and the fact he’d be away from family, one could understand an interest in moving south to keep his career going; he’s 31-years-old and should have a lot of hockey left. Then again, what team would want a part-time player who would potentially have to sit out a playoff series. Again, it would likely involve the Canucks somehow sweetening the pot to lose the cap hit.

Ultimately, one can see why the Vancouver Canucks would want to wash their hands of this player, just as Travis Hamonic has apparently washed his hands of the Vancouver Canucks. We’ll have an answer in about the next 72 hours.

Again on the bold part, so this is not referring to specifically Hamonic, who in their right mind would think this? I find it silly people were expecting the Pandemic to go away by this year. 

7 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I agree. 

I would caution everyone not to assume anything. We don't know whether Benning and he discussed details regarding Covid or not. We don't know the reasons behind him not being vaxxed, assuming he is not. We don't know if it was assumed Covid would be all but gone by now - though I think any intelligent person could have at least assumed the possibility.

This certainly does put us in a bind, but before we rag on Hamonic too much its only fair to get the facts.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1