The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Travis Hamonic l #27 l D

-DLC-

13 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Agreed. I think he and the Canucks should move into contract termination. However, it's possible that the Canucks want to do him a favour and give him to a team that needs his services, in exchange for someone we could use.

I found this earlier, but you might have missed this post.

I don't think we're going to be able to get anything we can use at this point. He's a good player, but he's making a pretty penny, and if he doesn't want to play in Canada and isn't going to be able to play certain teams, that pretty much nukes any trade value he has. We'll be extremely lucky to get out of the contract without retention, let alone netting any sort of return imo.

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

If Schenn is a regular in our top 4 we’re gonna have a bad time.

I know everyone loved him there to stick up for Hughes but I don’t think he has the foot speed or the shutdown ability that Hughes needs in a partner.

I see our top 4 being:

OEL Myers

Hughes Poolman

And then a bottom pair of:

Juolevi Demers

or

Rathbone Schenn 

Without Hamonic the D goes from thin to emaciated.  I will save my judgment until the facts come out but the whole thing is bizarre and disappointing.  Only a few things in my mind will justify this run around and general shafting of the team and fans

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Dazzle said:

Given that Hamonic signed the 2 years, demonstrating that he had a commitment to the team, but now says that he wants to play for the States, I think we can see what happened. Seems like Hamonic flip-flopped about what he wanted. Now he wants to sit out without mutually ending the contract. I think he wants the commitment, but doesn't want to commit.

Sorry, I don't like how Hamonic handled this situation. I wanted to believe he did this for his family, but his lack of vaccine (supposedly) and his desire to play elsewhere (also allegedly the case) says otherwise. I'm ready to move on from him.

agreed, this is not on Benning. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, bbllpp said:

Without Hamonic the D goes from thin to emaciated.  I will save my judgment until the facts come out but the whole thing is bizarre and disappointing.  Only a few things in my mind will justify this run around and general shafting of the team and fans

well it is 1 NHL body less but players like Hunt and Schenn can play in the league and Hunt has very good puck skills while Schenn provides some solid physical play. Nothing wrong with getting it done by committee, may even free up ice to rotate in more youth. And there is always the opportunity that someone becomes available during Waivers or by a team looking to fir under roster or cap compliance.

3 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Well, Benning said Hamonic would be here, so there is hope he decides to play before Friday.  Or maybe he'll opt out, retire. It would free up $3M, maybe allow Benning to get those two contracts done. 

Oh I just hate that, the two unsigned kids don't need more of the team's cap. I still hold out hope for creative and not 8m+ per deals to be signed.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, kloubek said:

I agree. 

I would caution everyone not to assume anything. We don't know whether Benning and he discussed details regarding Covid or not. We don't know the reasons behind him not being vaxxed, assuming he is not. We don't know if it was assumed Covid would be all but gone by now - though I think any intelligent person could have at least assumed the possibility.

This certainly does put us in a bind, but before we rag on Hamonic too much its only fair to get the facts.

There's an article that talks about Hamonic being with Vancouver. It's not about the erroneous belief that Covid ending in a short period; this is about Hamonic signing for two years, committing the Canucks for this time. Afterwards, he decides the vaccine isn't for him (it is mentioned in another Rob Johnson article or tweet, I believe, that he is unvaxxed)

Then again, maybe the Canucks tried to gamble that he'll change his mind, and even gave him the security of the contract.

I haven't seen anything official that states his reasons for not being at camp are due to NHL requirements for vaccinations so not willing to speculate.  I'm sure whatever his reasons are it's a difficult decision to make.  I wish him and his family well, we should know by Friday if he is going to elect to opt out of the 2021-22 season.  Not sure what deadline he has in the event he is in fact pondering retirement?  I would think the Canucks could establish a deadline that would allow contract termination in the event he fails to report by the deadline?  Most business' won't tolerate an extended absence without approval by any employee.  

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Then again, maybe the Canucks tried to gamble that he'll change his mind, and even gave him the security of the contract.

..then that'd be on Benning.

To be fair, I haven't read every possible post I could find. Yet, the validity of such are not infallible, as we've seen time and time again.

I'm sure we'll get conformation in due time. But fans putting either side down right now is a bit premature imo. 

I will say though, if he isn't going to play, it makes for an interesting dilemma for Benning for multiple reasons. Such a shame; I was fairly happy we re-signed him (even if he wasn't going to be the shutdown guy we really needed but couldn't afford) but this, along with the lack of signing of our two best players isn't exactly starting the season off on an ideal note.

20 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Crazy to think that if Hughes' contract doesn't get sorted soon, our opening night D lineup might be this:

OEL - Poolman

Rathbone - Myers

Juolevi - Schenn

Not horrible by any means but 1 injury away from a disasterclass.

Uncle Jim has been unable to craft a semi-reliable D-fence for almost a decade now.   Sad but true.