The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Ottawa Senators | January 27, 2021 | 5 p.m. PT | SN, TVAS

Rate this topic

-SN-

Enjoyed tonight’s game, while a lot of the goals were scrappy - they were goals we were not getting earlier in the season so it’s good they have found a way to get them in the net.

EP looks better not just his goal but work ethic and hustle seemed to be up on the last few games.

I am still worried about the amount of shots we allow on goal. Demo did great but he is very technical and does give up a lot of rebounds (not necessarily bad as he often kicks them out to safer areas and they are not ones that should have been in the glove) but with a goalie like that you need to then sweep and clear it and we often didn’t.

the team looks better and has more confidence but I am worried against Winnipeg next we will be exposed again 

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, Petey_BOI said:

it's a great thing actually, canucks had the harderst schedule for the first 10 games in the north. this was the hardest part of our schedule, and if we can win tommorrow thats puts at .500. I would say thats decent.

I would prefer a slightly slower start due to the limited camp no pre season. It would give us more time to embed new players and a system especially when the changes we have made are at D and in goal. 

I mentioned the schedule before and got shouted down that it’s the same for every team. It’s not, having 3 games in 4 nights for the first 5 weeks before a 2 day break is extremely taxing. Yes we will get some time back towards the end, but at that point the damage could already have been done 

Edited by UKNuck96
  • Vintage 2

Can't be too unhappy with a scoreline like that but we've still got a lot of work to do. Play like this against the Leafs and we'll get blown out.

Top line was obviously strong tonight all over the ice and driven by Miller who looks like he's finally arrived. Petey with another post or two is getting his swagger back. 

2nd line wasn't particularly good tonight, I thought Sutter played well but Virtanen and MacEwan were pretty invisible again. Obviously our 4th line was massive, played in the offensive zone most of the time and were rewarded.

On defence Edler and Chatfield was a bit scary, Edler's not quick enough to cover for the rookie's mistakes. Right now I'd rather see Juolevi in than Chatfield, yes he was good in his own zone but one mistake lead to a partial breakaway and a couple of giveaways here and there. Myers and Benn played a hell of a game, strong all around and Quinn with some nice passing and very smart moves on the PP.

Demko was brilliant but gave up far too many big rebounds that lead to more chances against. He tracked them well, but can't be throwing rebounds right into the slot. 

On the whole we were garbage in the first period but got better as the game went on. Still a lot of work to do, we've got to win tomorrow to get back to 0.500 and then the real task of playing good hockey begins. Up until now I'll pardon the guys because it's basically been exhibition games without Petey or Miller but now they've arrived, our D has gelled and Demko is feeling himself a bit, I expect to see what the Canucks can really bring to the table. We're still far off from the team that dominated the Blues in the playoffs but getting there. The goals are coming from across the group but we have to tighten up defensively - most shots against in the NHL by a large margin.

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

Rooster needs to sit and Motte needs to move up when the team needs a shakeup in the top 6. Jake needs to get traded for a Dman that’s in a similar position making roughly the same money. Mac should be a regular in the lineup as should Juolevi to see what we have in the former 5th overall pick. 

Edited by KyGuy123
  • Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, KyGuy123 said:

Rooster needs to sit and Motte needs to move up when the team needs a shakeup in the top 6. Jake needs to get traded for a Dman that’s in a similar position making roughly the same money. Mac should be a regular in the lineup as should Juolevi to see what we have in the former 5th overall pick. 

Pearson-Horvat-Hogs have been great didnt get enough time in the first, because of all the penaltys, the first line looks like its finally clicking after the 2nd so i guess we'll see if they finally got it together, roussel had an okay game other than the penalty. motte beagle line looked great, why switch things up when its working. if anything virtanen was invisible tonight other than some plays, and ima virt supporter, really dont understand why he isnt ramping it up lately, gunna be exposed if he doesnt this season.

6 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

Tkachuk over reacting was priceless.

Here's a guy who jumps full force on goaltenders, waves his skates in the air like he just doesn't care and his knickers are in a twist because someone gently flicked a puck at him.  I would have taken a slapshot.

I can’t believe that he slammed the bench door in the face of his CAPTAIN! Rude. He must’ve been mad that Gio didn’t come help out. 

People have Matthew pencilled in as the next captain, but not with that attitude, my word. 

7 hours ago, BPA said:

I dunno.

Jake's getting $2.55M.  I mean we are already complaining about over paying Beagle and Roussel at $3M for bottom 6 role.  And Jake isn't a permanent fixture on the PK.

That 2nd line RW was his for the taking but let it slip away to a rookie.

I hope JV gets it going.  

Jake is, simply, one of the best value added assets on this team