The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Toronto Maple Laffs | February 6, 2021 | 4 p.m. PT | NHLN, CBC, TVAS, SN, CITY

Rate this topic

-SN-

3 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

I agree 100% I said it earlier on this page. We should have leveled out from last year. Playing slightly above .500 on paper. Maybe better if the guys a rolling and chemistry is thriving. The boys should be battling for a playoff spot not getting blown out.

We are definitely under achieving. Team is not this bad. 

Last years playoff experience was to take another step forward not take 5 steps back. 

Team loiks disjointed. The Winnipeg game was the only one when they seem to be on the same page

Edited by CanucksJay
  • Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, GritGrinder said:

Kesler fans will like this one. ;)

The Canucks played 17 games in the bubble last year.

The Canucks will play their 17th game of the season this week on Thurs. against the Flames.

So I thought I would see their record and if there was a trend if I took the last 17 games of 19-20 and added the bubble games and this seasons games to see what the #'s show.

For arguments sake I'm giving them a 1-1 record for the next 2 games (5gf-5ga) which puts them at 7-10

19-20 final 17 games 6-9-2 54gf 62ga -8

Bubble 10-7 48gf 45ga +3

20-21 first 17 games 7-10 54gf  65ga -11

23-26-2 156gf 172ga -16

3.05gf/g  3.37ga/g

The 5 months off and being in the bubble gave them a bit of a bump but the last 17 of 19-20 and first 17 this season look eerily similar.

Its just mean to called our baby ugly 

3 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Willie's 14-15 team is better than any Green has had.

Just look at the depth forwards, Matthias, Hansen, Burrows, Higgins. Way better than Virtanen, Gaudette, Roussel, Eriksson. 

Defense still had: younger Tanev & Edler, Hamhuis a year removed by playing in the Olympics, Bieksa.

Plus the top players were established veterans, not 2nd & 3rd year players. 

But 2014-15 we had what, like 103 points or something? This year we look to be on pace for about 65 which is a little inflated from playing Ottawa. Do you think the rosters are so different? 

Top 6 of the twins, Vrbata, Burrows, Higgins, and Bonino iirc? Vs Petey, Boeser, Miller, Horvat, Pearson, and Hogs. Very comparable IMO. 

The blue line was a little better in 2015 but Edler was also just coming off of his green jacket year. Desjardins/Lidster? helped turn him around. 

2015 may have been a better roster but not enough so to account for the drastically different results. Especially when you consider that we get absolutely run out of the building in most of our losses these days. Even the 2016/17 Canucks managed to avoid that. 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Oh man... In hind sight, thank God we have up our first rounder last year for the Miller trade. 

This year would have sucked lol

Yes but for how long? I have a feeling if Benning remains in charge he will do something stupid and make trades to save his job or out of desperation. It’s my biggest fear with leaving him in charge this year and then what does that leave the next gm with?

4 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

I agree 100% I said it earlier on this page. We should have leveled out from last year. Playing slightly above .500 on paper. Maybe better if the guys a rolling and chemistry is thriving. The boys should be battling for a playoff spot not getting blown out.

Absolutely. No reason this roster shouldn’t be able to hang around with Edmonton and Winnipeg. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 2

11 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

After yest..he shouldn't utter a damn word. "Been thru".."we have to..." yada, yada. After 5 mins of that game, figured this guy HAS TO get the frontal-lobotomy! Or is that the bottle in front of me?(to quote T Waits)

& we're stuck saying this airhead is the BEST D-man in our 5 decades. Has his moments..but Good Lord, can AE sometimes be infuriating to watch!

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I think this team is going to continue to plummet and eventually hit the bottom of the standings. Not because the roster is trash, or because the other teams are that much better, but because there is something seriously wrong with the team internally. 

How they can play as poorly as they have is more than just an issue of missing practices or forgetting the basics of the game. It’s a personnel issue.

This team clearly isn’t unified and doesn’t have a veteran leadership core that wants to win. If they did, I think one would see the vets trying to make something happen on the ice. Making their presence know physically if the plays aren’t connecting. Doing whatever they can to try to change momentum. 

What have they displayed? Nothing. Essentially waving a white flag and running the clock down and then in interviews they’ll come up with the same talk, of not dwelling on the last game and just working towards the next one. And then when the next game comes, they play the exact same way. Like trash. 

I think most fans aren’t pissed off with the losing on its own. They’re pissed off with how spinelessly the team is giving up. At least try not to lose. 

Never seen a team throw in the towel like this for 4 consecutive games in blow outs. Even perennial loser teams don't do that. 

Aren't they already at the bottom of the standings? 

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, CanucksJay said:

Never seen a team throw in the towel like this for 4 consecutive games in blow outs. Even perennial loser teams don't do that. 

Aren't they already at the bottom of the standings? 

Exactly. They look defeated. Dejected. Done. Where is the pride? The fight? The want to be better? It’s not there at all. 

58 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

This is déjà vu all over again. They can say whatever they want, the fact is they have been saying it over and over again after each loss and they have done nothing the next game. Actually show the fans rather than keep saying the same things over and over. Their play on the ice is uninspired. Come out and show you want it for once!

Edited by Canuckfanforlife82
  • Vintage 1

Just now, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

This is déjà vu all over again. They can say whatever they want, the fact is they have been saying it over and over again after each loss and they have done nothing the next game. Actually show the fans rather than keep saying the same things over and over. There play on the ice is uninspired. Come out and show you want it for once!

Exactly. Why do these interviews and provide nothing new? It’s pointless. 

I’d assume that some of the players must loathe having to sit there and field questions knowing that they have to provide a canned answer. 

Kind of surprised the team hasn’t called a players only meeting.

I mean if there is something going on internally they need to address it.

I know these meetings are merely symbolic but look at Calgary. They held one when their record wasn’t even that bad and they seem to be rebounding.

At the very least I think it would show they care.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Exactly. They look defeated. Dejected. Done. Where is the pride? The fight? The want to be better? It’s not there at all. 

Have they even had a closed door meeting yet? I thought guys like Miller would grab the bull by the horns but it seems like the vets are checked out and the youth is in over their heads. 

I thought signing guys like Rousel, Beagle Sutter was there to insulate the young guys so they develop in a competitive environment? 

The lack of fight back further exposes the wasted cap space. 

I still think we have a bright future but the Calgary series, the 2 Mtl series and the Toronto series show that our bottom 6 vets aren't good enough to stabilize our young core 

• Cheers 1

If this is the real issue, they should say so. Why not? Expose the thoughtlessness of the NHL in regards to scheduling teams and overworking some while giving others an easier schedule. 

This next week will be telling then.

If fatigue is the reason they’re playing so poorly then a stretch of 7 of 8 games at home with regular rest days means their play should improve significantly.

If we see more of the same Im not sure we can use that excuse anymore.

• Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Have they even had a closed door meeting yet? I thought guys like Miller would grab the bull by the horns but it seems like the vets are checked out and the youth is in over their heads. 

I thought signing guys like Rousel, Beagle Sutter was there to insulate the young guys so they develop in a competitive environment? 

The lack of fight back further exposes the wasted cap space. 

I still think we have a bright future but the Calgary series, the 2 Mtl series and the Toronto series show that our bottom 6 vets aren't good enough to stabilize our young core 

Nope. The leader of this team should be taking the bull by the horns. I think everyone must be waiting for him to do something. It’s on him. This season will be an indictment of a few things once it’s done. Horvat’s capability as a captain is one of them. Now is the time for him to establish himself. Forget about what Henrik would have done. 

• Vintage 1