Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Decline of Erik Karlsson


Recommended Posts

I know the Sharks overall aren't close to what they used to be but I was wondering what everyone thought of Erik Karlsson in particular.  I'm in a fairly competitive keeper league and was offered Karlsson, Schmidt and a 3rd and 5th round picks next year for Krug and McAvoy. 

 

The part I'm having trouble with is trying to figure out whether or not Karlsson can turn things around. I've read a few places that he was finally 100% healthy for the first time since joining San Jose so I obviously expected him to be better than he has been. What is your opinion on Karlsson? For some reason my gut is telling me that his ankle injuries are finally catching up to him and he's not going to be much more than he is now moving forward. 

 

Also, what are your guys' thoughts on the trade offer above? Am I overthinking it? I'm super high on McAvoy as far as keeper leagues go.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yowch, 6 more years at $11.5 mill San Jose is in trouble.

 

From a pool perspective, I'd be hesitant to take Karlsson. Guy has had ankle problems for a while now. Maybe you can flip Karlsson to someone else and keep the others?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah that sounds like a loss for you. Karlsson's skating is his biggest obstacle because it was his biggest asset. His skating hasn't returned to form since his surgery in the off-season after the sens went deep. His passing and shot will remain useful but he's not worth that exchange especially if you have playoff aspirations. That contract is also yikes. 

 

His greatest strength should be your greatest area of concern tho. If he was skating at 90% of what he was I'd say ya its worth the gamble possibly but his greatest strength is now weaker and he is only getting older which will contribute to him slowing down even further.

Link to post
Share on other sites

He got his Eriksson contract.

 

He's got a 'see it out' contract on a team headed for a rebuild despite their goal/aim to 'not do that properly'. Other than personal pride he really has nothing to play for anymore / get better for at this point, and they aren't a cup challenger.

 

We already have one of those in the taxi squad.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The fantasy question includes factors you have not elaborated on - like the scoring format -  and playoffs (if irl players must make the playoffs why would you give up a Bruin and a Blue, for example...)

 

Karlsson - was never in favour of acquiring or signing him for various reasons - but he is now in a situation where he is playing 'hard' minutes - ie he's getting 40.9% ozone starts on a rethinging team (2nd lowest to Vlasic) ...he's a primary penalty killer at 2:56, 2 seconds off the top guy (again, Vlasic).

 

Still, at 26:32, you'd hope he'd have more than 2 even strength pts, and at just under 4 powerplay minutes a night, 1 pp pt is pretty paltry.

 

This is a pretty good indicator imo - for people who love to dump on guys here, who have played hard minutes through this rething - of what that context can do to your overall outcomes.

 

A year ago, when he was up over 50% ozone starts (51.9), he scored 40 pts in 56 games - so I'd also caution about getting carried away with a small 10 game sample - he's highly unlikely to finish this season at this clip (ie 16  or 17 pts in 56 games...).

 

But regardless whether he bounces back or not - he's not an asset - or contract you want - and playing for SJ certainly doesn't make him any more attractive if playoffs matter at all in your fantasy league.

Edited by oldnews
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

This is a perfect example of why a GM has to be very careful about giving out these ridiculous contracts with injury prone players who are at the age of 30.  Not everyone is built like Shea Weber or Alex Ovechkin. 

I couldn't believe it when some on here were suggesting acquiring Karlsson. Holey smokes that would have been a complete disaster.

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, zduck14 said:

I know the Sharks overall aren't close to what they used to be but I was wondering what everyone thought of Erik Karlsson in particular.  I'm in a fairly competitive keeper league and was offered Karlsson, Schmidt and a 3rd and 5th round picks next year for Krug and McAvoy. 

 

The part I'm having trouble with is trying to figure out whether or not Karlsson can turn things around. I've read a few places that he was finally 100% healthy for the first time since joining San Jose so I obviously expected him to be better than he has been. What is your opinion on Karlsson? For some reason my gut is telling me that his ankle injuries are finally catching up to him and he's not going to be much more than he is now moving forward. 

 

Also, what are your guys' thoughts on the trade offer above? Am I overthinking it? I'm super high on McAvoy as far as keeper leagues go.

 

 

Run away from that deal!

 

Far, far away...

 

 

 

 

Good players on bad teams are cap dumps, not assets.  Schmidt & Karlsson are both, well, struggling on, at least so far, bad teams.  Struggling at the very least in fantasy perspective.  They are not producing. Krug & McAvoy are killing it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

I couldn't believe it when some on here were suggesting acquiring Karlsson. Holey smokes that would have been a complete disaster.

 

They want Benning fired over Loui's contract.  Imagine if Benning had signed Karlsson to a 7 year $11.5 million contract and he still has over 6 years left?  :lol:

  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Karlsson's digression with injuries isn't fun for hockey. He was a hell of a player to watch prior to them. Best hockey I have ever seen out of a defenseman since Lidstrom back then when he was carrying Ottawa.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Karlsson's digression with injuries isn't fun for hockey. He was a hell of a player to watch prior to them. Best hockey I have ever seen out of a defenseman since Lidstrom back then when he was carrying Ottawa.

Karlsson is the new age Bobby Orr.  Imagine Orr without the bad knees?  Imagine Karlsson without the bad ankles?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Run away from that deal!

 

Far, far away...

 

 

 

 

Good players on bad teams are cap dumps, not assets.  Schmidt & Karlsson are both, well, struggling on, at least so far, bad teams.  Struggling at the very least in fantasy perspective.  They are not producing. Krug & McAvoy are killing it.

Ya. I passed on it. It was more for the draft picks and then to try and flip Karlsson (which i doubt id be able to do). We can only keep 7 and I need to choose 7 guys from this list:

 

Aho

Svechnikov 

Malkin 

Scheifele 

Vrana 

Farabee

Carlson 

Chabot 

McAvoy 

Krug

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, oldnews said:

The fantasy question includes factors you have not elaborated on - like the scoring format -  and playoffs (if irl players must make the playoffs why would you give up a Bruin and a Blue, for example...)

 

Karlsson - was never in favour of acquiring or signing him for various reasons - but he is now in a situation where he is playing 'hard' minutes - ie he's getting 40.9% ozone starts on a rethinging team (2nd lowest to Vlasic) ...he's a primary penalty killer at 2:56, 2 seconds off the top guy (again, Vlasic).

 

Still, at 26:32, you'd hope he'd have more than 2 even strength pts, and at just under 4 powerplay minutes a night, 1 pp pt is pretty paltry.

 

This is a pretty good indicator imo - for people who love to dump on guys here, who have played hard minutes through this rething - of what that context can do to your overall outcomes.

 

A year ago, when he was up over 50% ozone starts (51.9), he scored 40 pts in 56 games - so I'd also caution about getting carried away with a small 10 game sample - he's highly unlikely to finish this season at this clip (ie 16  or 17 pts in 56 games...).

 

But regardless whether he bounces back or not - he's not an asset - or contract you want - and playing for SJ certainly doesn't make him any more attractive if playoffs matter at all in your fantasy league.

As for the pool format, it's just season total points with payouts to 1st through 4th. No playoffs. (G=1, A=1, PIM=.2, SOG=.1)

 

My team is currently 17 points out 2nd (12 out of 4th) and that's with Malkins struggles. I think there's still hope for me for now.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ImConfused said:

Eriksson + Sutter + 2nd for Karlsson?

 

  Reveal hidden contents

:bigblush:

 

Might seem a bit counter-intuitive, however I wouldn't make that deal from the Vancouver side.  The liability of Karlsson could be one of the biggest in the game if he doesn't come back to elite status.

  • Sedinery 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...