The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs Toronto Maple Leaves | March 4, 2021 | 7 p.m. PT | SNP, TSN4

Rate this topic

-SN-

8 minutes ago, Cobra! said:

That's fair. In the post that started all this I said :"rathbone in particular" My thinking with chatfield was that he would be the one to step in immediately if we trade OJ, seeing as how HE LITERALLY BEAT OJ FOR A SPOT OUT OF CAMP.

Argue whether or not he has top 4 potential sure, but these guys are just being idiots about it,

Naw, OJ was in the opening night line up and Chatfield wasn't. It wasn't until Hamonic was injured and Benn returned that Joulevi was taken out for Chatfield, strictly because the team need another right shot D man.

Chatfield looked good the first two or three games, but was our worst defenceman after that. Joulevi has consistantly looked solid, even when he's having a quiet game.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, MattJVD said:

Naw, OJ was in the opening night line up and Chatfield wasn't. It wasn't until Hamonic was injured and Benn returned that Joulevi was taken out for Chatfield, strictly because the team need another right shot D man.

Chatfield looked good the first two or three games, but was our worst defenceman after that. Joulevi has consistantly looked solid, even when he's having a quiet game.

I may be remembering incorrectly

honestly the chatfield hill isnt even the one i was trying to die on. i dont know why these guys felt the need to hone in on that one part of my original post and use it to formulate personal attacks

Cap space for next year:

Pearson - 3.75

Sutter - 4.375

Baertschi - 2.3

Edler - 6

Benn - 2

Eriksson - 2 ($4 million on the books after the buyout)

Holtby - 3.8 ($500k on the books after the buyout)

Spooner - 1

Hamonic - 1.25

Ferland - LTIR

With 2 buyouts of Eriksson and Holtby we will have $26.5 million in cap space.  Most of the players above will be replaced by our young kids. Podkolzin, Rathbone, Lind, Juolevi, Gadjovich, Tryamkin.  If we can get a decent backup to Demko for around $1 million then that should free up enough money to go after our #1 priority, which is a partner for Hughes.

• Cheers 2

Just now, SNuck said:

And you're here calling for others to be warned/banned for essentially responding to you. You're getting reactions from people because of your poor attitude, and you're pushing back against any criticism in a ridiculous way. Sorry but that's not gonna fly. You can improve your attitude, engage in respectful discussion, or go somewhere else. 

I'll choose go somewhere that isnt run by a dork

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Cap space for next year:

Pearson - 3.75

Sutter - 4.375

Baertschi - 2.3

Edler - 6

Benn - 2

Eriksson - 2 ($4 million on the books after the buyout)

Holtby - 3.8 ($500k on the books after the buyout)

Spooner - 1

Hamonic - 1.25

Ferland - LTIR

With 2 buyouts of Eriksson and Holtby we will have $26.5 million in cap space.  Most of the players above will be replaced by our young kids. Podkolzin, Rathbone, Lind, Juolevi, Gadjovich, Tryamkin.  If we can get a decent backup to Demko for around $1 million then that should free up enough money to go after our #1 priority, which is a partner for Hughes.

Replacing him won't be cheap & it certainly won't come from our prospects (not for a year or two at least in any event).

2 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Replacing him won't be cheap & it certainly won't come from our prospects (not for a year or two at least in any event).

Tryamkin will be 27 and fully matured.  You can partner him with Schmidt.  Juolevi and Rathbone can fight it out as to who will partner Myers.  The key is to find a partner for Hughes who can play 20-23 minutes a night.  I'd go hard after Cernak.  If we need to we can package picks with Eriksson and get the whole $6 million off the books so we can take a cap dump from Tampa in order to get Cernak.  Tampa is screwed next year in terms of their cap.  They will be millions over the cap unless they plan to rotate Kucherov and Stamkos on LTIR.

1 hour ago, nux_win said:

Hindsight is easy.  At the time Demko was an unproven starter and Holtby was the best available.  Agreed that Holtby hasn't been as good as he could have been but in my opinion it still was the right decision at the time.  GMs don't have the benefit of hindsight or a crystal ball, they have to make the moves with the information they have at the time.  Personally I don't mind goalies competing for the starting job.  Nobody should be gifted their position, they should have to earn it.  Go Canucks Go!

If fortune tellers were ever real.. we should hire one of those to predict the draft!!!

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Tryamkin will be 27 and fully matured. 

Playing in a lower tier league.  Top 4 minutes in the NHL is a far different level of competition imho.  And I doubt he's coming over for something cheap.  He likes playing at home to my knowledge.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

Just now, SNuck said:

And you're here calling for others to be warned/banned for essentially responding to you. You're getting reactions from people because of your poor attitude, and you're pushing back against any criticism in a ridiculous way. Sorry but that's not gonna fly. You can improve your attitude, engage in respectful discussion, or go somewhere else. 

Cobra has a cool name so i hope he stays (ha ha).   That said i've seen a lot worse then what he/she said in this thread, one spams the heck out of the PGT/GDT all the time (and i suspect it's a duplicate account from a prior offender).    Was going to respond to an earlier post - back when Adrian Plavsic played - remember arguing with a large man i worked with that not a chance.. then Aucion came around and I was on the others side of this and said now freaking way.   Both times people were wrong and right.   I was right about Plavsic, right about Hedican too, wrong about Aucion.  

Over the years i've learned to be cautious and give guys more time.   (Aucion didn't seem to have to right stuff at the time - granted i was used to a better level of D's too, how many games did the guy end up playing, and wow he's got a club record that won't be beat by anyone on our existing crew and likely not for a long time yet)... some like Sopel... meh - not me so much...Some thought Allen would be something ... McCabe? I  grew tired of his can openers but he for sure went somewhere.   Jovo was a legit number one for several years for us.    Only one we've ever had.   Ohlund was solid - a better D then Edler IMO but splitting hairs.  

This forum should have a certain amount of civility to it - but i get that emotion plays into it as well.   Back then heated arguments were often enough with a group of friends over a player to get rowdy  - and if your at the bar and get into with someone who thought Sopel was a future Norris guy - or Murzyn was a useless pilon and you strongly believed one way or the other - at least no blood gets spilled over it with friends (mostly ha ha )...    Cobra can feel about any player however he wants .... even if he's wrong. 

• Cheers 2