The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs Toronto Maple Leaves | March 6, 2021 | 4 p.m. PT | CBC, SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

17 minutes ago, Mustard Tiger said:

Canucks arguably play two of their best games this year, beating the " top team " in the league back to back and the page count is almost cut in half compared to when we lose.
I find it crazy how many people here only show up for the negative side.

It was a Saturday night game. Ppl might have other engagements than to log in online after the game

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, CptCanuck16 said:

The stats are getting so obscure these days. Give it a few years and they'll be posting things like "Most goals by a brunette forward with 8 letters in his last name by regular season game 100" 

There is nothing wrong or obscure about that particular stat 

9 hours ago, Dumb Nuck said:

I love this team, I hate the coaching staff, sadly IMHO, the best thing that could happen to us is to never win another game until they’re forced to fie him/them so we can move forward.

Having seen us change coaches from AV to Torts to Willie to Green attempting to win a cup in the Sedin era, we never got as close as we did in 2011. I’m not sure a head coach change is the answer. We have a great young core hampered by bad contracts in the supporting cast and a small, weak D. I fear our GM, encouraged by Aquaman will trade picks (again) thinking we are a contender or hand out more stupid contracts. If JB doesn't unload some of our anchor contracts at the trade deadline for good prospects or draft picks, I think he needs to go. As most of us agree, he’s better at drafting than negotiating contracts. 

What I really hate, is not winning enough games to be a contender, but winning enough games to miss top picks and continue mediocrity. Let’s finish the rebuild that was (finally) started rather than believing we can “win now”.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 2

2 minutes ago, rekker said:

Funny, I was so on edge halfway through the third waiting for a Leafs phantom PP. I've seen the phantom penalty bring them a late PP so often. Instead, Hogs pots one! Woot, woot! Suck it Lafs.

Yup. That goal was huge. 

Basically, the Canucks took it upon themselves to put the game out of reach and away from any potential for refs to influence the game

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Mustard Tiger said:

Canucks arguably play two of their best games this year, beating the " top team " in the league back to back and the page count is almost cut in half compared to when we lose.
I find it crazy how many people here only show up for the negative side.

Good points but try listening to 650 - there you will find out what negativity is: (for the most part, alot of) lecturing & constant complaining about the past that cannot be change and how to run a pro sports team.  The team is in a different part of its developement curve (now) and this season is mostly about learning how to win as a team - imo.  

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, AbrasiveAjax said:

Tell that to Myers, Edler, Benn, Hamonic, these are not small weak D. The smarts mobility of Schmidt and Huggy makes them anything but small and weak.

I personally like the way our defence is playing right now.

Go Canucks go 

The balance deployment on the d seems to had a good affect on the group; just too bad, Joulevi not getting any minutes to develope a chemistry with one of the non FA d....

Without Petey you can tell the team is playing better together and relying less on one star, especially on the powerplay. They simplified the PP and now it's clicking nicely. I hope this doesn't change when Petey comes back.

Monster game by Miller and Brock of course, they were much more dangerous than Toronto's top line which is saying something. Horvat had a huge game as well, not just scoring but shutting down their top line and Pearson deserves some credit there too. Of course Hoglander with a beautiful goal rounds out a stellar night by our top 6.

After that things got dicey. Michaelis has been victimizee I think 3 times now in 2 games for goals, Hughes really didn't help on one of them back checking. They're our two biggest defensive liabilities on the ice so Green should probably try and steer clear of that duo...

Other than that, everyone played well, yes they got a lot of perimeter shots and Demko was on the whole pretty strong apart from a maybe-weak Tavares shot (although on the rush slap shot by one of the best, can't fault him too much) and this team defence is finally clicking.

Montreal will be interesting, they ruined our defence in the earlier series but we're playing like a new team now with confidence and more structure so hopefully they'll be a tight couple of games. It's hard to string wins together in longer series but 2 games is an 8 point swing that would literally put us on even terms with them (games in hand aside) so anything could happen this season.

50 minutes ago, AbrasiveAjax said:

Tell that to Myers, Edler, Benn, Hamonic, these are not small weak D. The smarts mobility of Schmidt and Huggy makes them anything but small and weak.

I personally like the way our defence is playing right now.

Go Canucks go 

I agree that our D have played better recently. However, aside from Myers, our D is one of the shortest and lightest in the NHL. Do you think anyone fears our D? Tryamkin would belp.
https://www.eliteprospects.com/league/nhl/teams-physical-stats/2020-2021

btw, we are 19th for hits per game.

Edited by steviewonder20

So it'll be interesting to see what develops as the schedules start to even out a bit.   It must have been tough for this team to jump right in with both feet with the schedule that forced them to hit the ground running.  But maybe it helped bring them up to (intense schedule) game pace and hit the wall early on .... now it'll be other teams that will have to do so.  As athletes fatigue, risk of injury increases so it'll be interesting to see who survives this grind.  It's not a given at this point for any team.

For instance...we play Montreal tomorrow.  Here's how things have been vastly different in schedules between the two teams up to tomorrow's game:

Multiple Days Off & Back to Backs (All un-noted periods are one day of rest in between games....often with travel involved on that day)...

Vancouver:

January:  0 multiple days off / 3 back to backs

February:  One 2 day off / 1 back to back

March:  Started with a back to back

Montreal:

January:  One 2 day off & One 4 day off / 1 back to back

February:  One 3 day off & One 6 day off/ 2 back to backs

March:  No back to backs

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

9 hours ago, ShawnAntoski said:

As per John & John last game, the Laffs had 7 penalties called against them in the previous 5 games before that first penalty in the last game - this stat alone should confirm that there is a bias.  Anyways, let them cheat all they want cause it won't amount into anything in the end anyways....

Makes sense though, they are a very very strong possession team.  You don't generally take penalties when you have the puck.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Conscience said:

And that one is official is going to break up the scrums how?

chips in the shirt? Its the foot that matters

Then either put them in the boot (less likely) but just change the rule to fit the tech slightly. RFID chips as wearable sports tech is not something new. 

and breaking up the brawls doesn’t require the ref to be in the middle of it. 

How do you think a rugby ref controls 30 players by himself on the pitch? Go take a look at some YouTube clips of Nigel Owens to see how a ref should be regardless of sport 

here is one example but by no means the least with Nigel Owens 

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.reddit.com/r/sports/comments/2zukkk/rugby_union_nigel_owens_refereeing_masterclass/

Edited by UKNuck96

1 hour ago, steviewonder20 said:

I agree that our D have played better recently. However, aside from Myers, our D is one of the shortest and lightest in the NHL. Do you think anyone fears our D? Tryamkin would belp.
https://www.eliteprospects.com/league/nhl/teams-physical-stats/2020-2021

btw, we are 19th for hits per game.

Is this really true?

Edler 6'3 212

Hamonic 6'2 205

Benn 6'2 210

Schmidt 6'0 194

Juolevi 6'2 182

Hughes 5'10 170

That seem like a decently big lineup when you add Myers. I guess we could definitely add a 225 bruiser ... but who wouldn't want to do that if the guy can play.

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • Thanks 1