Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NHL, ESPN reach seven-year U.S. broadcast deal

Rate this topic


Recommended Posts

Quote

Significant murmurs surfaced Tuesday that the NHL has sewn up one-half of its new U.S. media rights package.

 

ESPN is believed to have reached a seven-year deal to become one of the league's media partners starting next season, according to multiple league and industry sources.

 

There was no confirmation from the NHL on an agreement that is expected to see ESPN get the rights to broadcast four Stanley Cup Finals between 2022 and 2028, plus streaming rights for Disney.

 

Financial terms of the deal weren't immediately available, nor was it clear which other media company would split the package with ESPN.

 

NBC currently pays $200 million annually for exclusive U.S. media rights that expire after this season.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/canucks-senators-tagged-underdogs-wednesday-nhl-odds/

  • Thanks 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

I hope they bring back Gary Thorne and Bill Clement.

I would love to hear Gary Thorne call games.

 

I'm excited about the NHL being on ESPN in general.  Hopefully it'll lead to more hockey coverage on their social medias, popular shows (first take), etc.  ESPN has the opportunity to expose the NHL to new fans.

  • Cheers 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, BoKnows said:

I would love to hear Gary Thorne call games.

 

I'm excited about the NHL being on ESPN in general.  Hopefully it'll lead to more hockey coverage on their social medias, popular shows (first take), etc.  ESPN has the opportunity to expose the NHL to new fans.

Gretzky Had it, Lost it, Yzerman picks it up...

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

I hope they bring back Gary Thorne and Bill Clement.

 

Just looked it up and Thorne will no longer be the Orioles' announcer, so he seems to be a free agent.

 

He is 72 years-old but you never know.

Edited by kanucks25
  • Cheers 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I thought one of the streaming services would be a player this time.  
Didn’t know it would be Disney+
It makes a ton of sense for streaming to get into the sports game.  Let’s hope what HBO did for boxing, Disney+ can do for hockey.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Provost said:

I thought one of the streaming services would be a player this time.  
Didn’t know it would be Disney+
It makes a ton of sense for streaming to get into the sports game.  Let’s hope what HBO did for boxing, Disney+ can do for hockey.

Disney owns Hulu. Hulu has been a rumored destination for the NHL to have games stream to for years. So I won't be shocked if, at the very least, games end up on Hulu in the States alongside them being on ESPN+ and other ESPN channels.

 

Big win for the NHL. This should get them more recognition in the US again. Since people watch ESPN for sports, not NBC.

  • Cheers 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...