The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Seven years without a clear plan from Canucks brass.

Rate this topic

appleboy

6 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

How many empty net points did he have? I know he had quite a few goals. It was kind of freakish really.

In 19-20 he had 9 empty net points, which was tied with Kyle Connor for the league lead.

I just completely disagree with the notion that 19-20 is best representative of Pearson, and that this year should be entirely discounted because of the schedule, especially considering that his decline came during the end of the 19-20 season and through the playoffs. It seems far more likely that he had a career year last season and will never return to that.

I guess time will tell.

Edited by Josepho

11 minutes ago, Josepho said:

In 19-20 he had 9 empty net points, which was tied with Kyle Connor for the league lead.

I just completely disagree with the notion that 19-20 is best representative of Pearson, and that this year should be entirely discounted because of the schedule, especially considering that his decline came during the end of the 19-20 season and through the playoffs. It seems far more likely that he had a career year last season and will never return to that.

I guess time will tell.

How many of his points was when Loui was on his line?

18 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

How many of his points was when Loui was on his line?

11 at 5v5, 6 against empty net.

It's interesting that you mention Loui because I think the fact that his production has gotten worse despite replacing his most common winger linemate Loui with a far better offensive talent in Hoglander makes it look even worse for him.

Edited by Josepho

22 minutes ago, Josepho said:

11 at 5v5, 6 against empty net.

It's interesting that you mention Loui because I think the fact that his production has gotten worse despite replacing his most common winger linemate Loui with a far better offensive talent in Hoglander makes it look even worse for him.

Well, someone has to guard the offensive players back. 

Loui is good at that. 

1 hour ago, Josepho said:

It seems far more likely that he had a career year last season and will never return to that.

I guess time will tell.

Why can't both be true?

It's quite likely (perhaps even obvious, if you look at his scoring history through his career) that last year was likely a peak... And that this year has been a valley.

Neither likely represents a new 'normal'.

Edited by aGENT

3 hours ago, aGENT said:

Why can't both be true?

It's quite likely (perhaps even obvious, if you look at his scoring history through his career) that last year was likely a peak... And that this year has been a valley.

Neither likely represents a new 'normal'.

Fair enough. However 9 empty net points last year is a lot and would suggest maybe it wasnt an actual peak in practical terms. Not like his early years in LA where his actual peak probably was.

He isnt as bad offensively as he has been this year for sure. But without the en points he really was at about the offensive level of a good 3rd liner/average to below average 2nd liner even last year.

I expect that is about where he will stay going forward. Which is why I don't like his contract much. He plays a lot of minutes with Horvat and Hoglander (two guys who are pretty good offensively), is on the 1st pp since petey went down (why), yet hasnt really done anything with it. Its easy to blame covid, a short schedule, etc. Its still a reflection on the player though. He has had 1st line player opportunity this year with 3rd/4th line production.

The problem with the team, its coaches, and many fans is they think accountability is for young players, excuses are for veteran players. Its been that way for a very long time too.

If Pearson is the leader people say he is, he would be the first to say his play is on him, not on covid or any other excuse. So would anyone who is truly objective.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Fair enough. However 9 empty net points last year is a lot and would suggest maybe it wasnt an actual peak in practical terms. Not like his early years in LA where his actual peak probably was.

Any player's peak year, generally involves some amount of luck. Water is also wet.

2 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

He isnt as bad offensively as he has been this year for sure. But without the en points he really was at about the offensive level of a good 3rd liner/average to below average 2nd liner even last year.

Good thing that's exactly the level he's being paid at. Tweener middle 6 pay rate.

On 5/7/2021 at 3:46 PM, oldnews said:

And with all due respect, they did turn around in a hurry.

They went from 25th in the league to 48-29-5 = 101 pts in 2014/15, 2nd in the Pacific...

Try a different angle.

and then what happened

7 hours ago, aGENT said:

Any player's peak year, generally involves some amount of luck. Water is also wet.

Good thing that's exactly the level he's being paid at. Tweener middle 6 pay rate.

Empty net goals and points arent luck though. I bet if I played every time there was an empty net I would at least be able to get a few. They are just being put out there at that time of the game. 9 more points for any player would make them look better too. 

3.25 mil for 3 years with trade protection and if true expansion protection is not exactly 3rd line money in a flat cap environment. 

19 minutes ago, steviewonder20 said:

I like this idea of hiring Jeff Gorton to replace JB. This writer summarizes all the ways in which JB has been good at drafting but failed with contracts and asset management. Hopefully, Aquillini takes note of this opportunity.

https://thehockeywriters.com/canucks-jeff-gorton-jim-benning/

In 3 months as interim GM for the bruins he traded Raycroft for Rask, signed Chara and Horton as free agents, and drafted Kessel, Lucic, and Marchand.

Hard to argue with that.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Empty net goals and points arent luck though. I bet if I played every time there was an empty net I would at least be able to get a few. They are just being put out there at that time of the game. 9 more points for any player would make them look better too. 

Players get put out down a man because they're trusted. They don't just put guys out there in that scenario willy nilly.

1 minute ago, wallstreetamigo said:

3.25 mil for 3 years with trade protection and if true expansion protection is not exactly 3rd line money in a flat cap environment. 

No, it's tweener, mid 6 money. Just like I stated.

2 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

In 3 months as interim GM for the bruins he traded Raycroft for Rask, signed Chara and Horton as free agents, and drafted Kessel, Lucic, and Marchand.

Hard to argue with that.

Wow! That’s a crazy good 3 months. 

I’ve been a JB defender, but it’s time to let him go. Bring in Gorton.