The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jim the Scout, not the Asset Manager

Rate this topic

Makaramel MacKhiato

8 minutes ago, crobar said:

Gotta admit Jake and Pearson  out,Toffo  in does look like better asset management.

We would’ve better off not trading for Gudbranson in the first place.  At least a better (granted not great but still far better than Gaudette in that role) 3C at a cheaper cap hit than Pearson.

4 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

In a sense, the only GM we’ve ever had that was able to build from nothing was Pat Quinn.  And he had to manage in an era where there was no cap *BUT* we didn’t have ownership that had the financial ability to operate like one of the big spenders in the league.  Guys like Burke/Nonis and Gillis had the ability in certain stages.  

They don't make them like the big Irishman anymore though.  Burke's the closest we'll get.

• Cheers 2

6 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

In a sense, the only GM we’ve ever had that was able to build from nothing was Pat Quinn.  And he had to manage in an era where there was no cap *BUT* we didn’t have ownership that had the financial ability to operate like one of the big spenders in the league.  Guys like Burke/Nonis and Gillis had the ability in certain stages.  

We have an ownership that is willing to spend, and yet our fans want more. How can an owner NOT be involved? He is the one paying the bills. Of course he'll want his stamp on the team. It's unrealistic to think otherwise.

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

They don't make them like the big Irishman anymore though.  Burke's the closest we'll get.

I *think* part of the plan was to have Quinn in some sort of senior advisor capacity with Linden/Benning; unfortunately his illness got progressively worse until he succumbed to it.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

I *think* part of the plan was to have Quinn in some sort of senior advisor capacity with Linden/Benning; unfortunately his illness got progressively worse.:(

Even if it wasn't, you know he would always have been willing to answer Linden's phone calls.  Great man.

• Cheers 2

Just now, NewbieCanuckFan said:

?  I wasn’t obviously referring to the Aquilini’s.

I didn't mean for the comment directed AT you, but more like WITH you. Sorry for making it seem like it was the former. I was merely commenting at how this fanbase is whining about our ownership. We have the whiniest fanbase in the league, IMHO.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 2

Just now, Dazzle said:

I didn't mean for the comment directed AT you, but more like WITH you. Sorry for making it seem like it was the former. I was merely commenting at how this fanbase is whining about our ownership. We have the whiniest fanbase in the league, IMHO.

Yeah I edited my reply.  My apologies for jumping to conclusions (as usual :lol:).  Peace.

• Cheers 1

Just now, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Yeah I edited my reply.  My apologies for jumping to conclusions (as usual :lol:).  Peace.

No need to apologize. I can understand why my quoted post would seem like a weird post against your post.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, AK_19 said:

I've been pretty down on Benning since the off-season but this is a childish take on his performance.

Yep.   One of the worst takes yet.   Didn't JB just say he's relying on his analytic department and video for the draft just a week ago?  Like this poster just learned what oppurtinity costs were and decided right away that JB wouldn't is mystifying.   I get that not every deal makes sense.    On Myers.  He was on of the better RHD's we've seen come to market in awhile...glad he made that call and not one of the dozen or so trade BB threads for Dumba or whomever last season.   And that was with Myers on the team already.   Also left out the fact that other teams were also in the running and he left money/term on the table coming here because of his BC summer roots.    Just ridiculous stuff.    And at the end something about just making him and executive.   He is THE executive right now.   President and GM...what's he supposed to become?   Childish indeed.    None of us has all the data.   Something that's happened frequently enough over the past many years is, fans are ready to launch themselves of cliffs over minor and major moves or non moves.    Faced a ton of flak for letting everyone go to CAL .... and recently getting dumped on for covid too lol.   It's brutal really.    Where he was ranked last season by his peers is pretty close to where he deserves to be.    None of his peers managed a cup with their kids on their ELC's with the exception of CHI Toews last season.    It simply doesn't happen often because it's extremely difficult to gauge when it might happen.   For that yes he screwed the pouch.   Better to actually have that problem then not to have it at all, which is Detroit was Mantha,  Bertuzzi and Larkin,  EDM x 2 with Hall, Eberle, RNH etc, Buffalo, ARI x 2 now, and CAR x 2 managed a great run, then slipped a step and now are looking like a contender.   The x is the number of rebuilds by the way.    If your going to pick on JB, the rest of the league needs to be used a barometer.  

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, DeNiro said:

The thing is Bennings drafts are producing talent at a level this organization has not seen too often.

Yet, his aversion to acquiring draft capital.  Bizarre. 

Picking at the top of each round is probably statistically verifiable to “produce talent”, which is where his cap teams have finished.  

I think it’s critical to remember why he was picking high, not what he did once he fell there.  

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Yet, his aversion to acquiring draft capital.  Bizarre. 

Picking at the top of each round is probably statistically verifiable to “produce talent”, which is where his cap teams have finished.  

I think it’s critical to remember why he was picking high, not what he did once he fell there.  

He was picking high because the Sedin era was ending and he basically had to build a team from scratch.

If Gillis didn’t leave completely bare cupboards maybe he’d be farther ahead.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

23 minutes ago, CanuckleHorse said:

Yes the next Gm will be able to give up nobody’s for stars and talk players into taking less also get players waving their No trade clause to go where they don’t want to :bigblush:

Look what Bergevin was able to do in one summer.

Made some very good moves with very little.

Edited by DeNiro

Well its true. He has been terrible in asset management . 

Here is a good laugh for all you folks

Toffoli 21 goals 4.5 hit

Beagle, LE, pearson, myers, roussel, sutter, jake, 22 goals 28.6 million hit 

We will not go anywhere with this idiot as GM. 

• Cheers 1
  • RoughGame 2