The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Edler To Have Hearing Today [Update: Suspended 2 games]

Rate this topic

-DLC-

32 minutes ago, mll said:

The DoPS sees otherwise and highlight that he purposefully extended his leg.  From their clip:

‘Seeing Edler approaching Hyman makes a move to his left to evade the incoming contact. Edler recognizing he may get beat entirely extends his leg outward to ensure he catches a piece of Hyman and can slow him down.’

I've watched it a few more times now, and listened to their explanation. Edler comes in, and skates/coasts right in front of Hyman and against the boards. He purposely keeps a wide base to ensure he catches at least a piece, though it looks to me like he's starting to brace for and expecting an impact. At this point, I'm guessing he figures either he makes the hit or he at least interferes enough. Instead, Hyman makes a move which may allow him to get around Edler, and it's at that point that I can now see that Edler extends his leg a little bit to try to keep that from happening. 

I don't see it as "dirty", but that little motion was reckless so I'm taking a rare change of stance and agree that it was worthy of the suspension. (Because my opinion means *so* much).

• Upvote 1

Suspension seems fair to me. 

If Hyman misses a couple weeks due to injury, then that corrects the DOPS mistake on his punishment last week.  He should have been sitting already.

56c4rt.jpg.2b90ca11b50ee1daecbe5528082dbe37.jpg

Edited by Kragar
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, AriGold said:

I disagree with that part, he's a notoriously dirty player it's just not actively talked about or goes unnoticed.

Some examples below..

The Hischier hit is rather comical.

The way Nico threw his head back after the fact... poor kid could have given himself whiplash. He acted dead for a few seconds and then popped back up when his scene was done.

pretty good acting for a rookie right there...

• Cheers 1

I was actually expecting 3-4 games, but given this is a shortened season, 2 games seems fair.  Definitely not malicious or intended, but a dangerous play non the less.  Hopefully Hyman doesn't miss much time.  I prefer when a fully healthy Leafs team loses.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Jaimito said:

Next game when Edler plays vs TO, you know they will be something.  But having legit suspension, 5 min major and leafs did score on it, will help diffuse the situation. I don't think it was intentional but Leafs did lose one of their best players. 

Eddy is a sneaky tough viking. I hope someone tries to fight him and Eddy unleashes some pain in return.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

TBH, I'm surprised there's this much debate....

As someone who has played over 1000 games, I can tell you it's instinctive. You have a guy lined up and he sidesteps your hit.....Eddy obviously stuck out the leg.....

And please....can we get over this "Because he's a Canuck" and "Because Hyman is a Leaf" garbage? Two games is exactly what Edler deserves.

If you want to know why the rest of the league hates Canuck fans, that's your answer....<_<

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1