The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks announce AHL club to relocate from Utica to Abbotsford

48 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

Cull might just be the next coach of the canucks. 

Greener got 2 years right? Either he shows hes the guy or hes gone next year imo.

I'm more than fine with either.

Not me, I'd rather have a coach with a proven record of success, Barry Trotz or Joel Quenville type. These guys have proven records and are paid appropriately. I frankly don't want to employ cheap speculative coaches with no record of success

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

Not me, I'd rather have a coach with a proven record of success, Barry Trotz or Joel Quenville type. These guys have proven records and are paid appropriately. I frankly don't want to employ cheap speculative coaches with no record of success

What ome of those 2 is available lol.

4 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

What ome of those 2 is available lol.

I think it is simple enough. Instead of cheaping out you just go down to the NHL Coach Store and buy a really good one, the kind that everybody wants. The reason they don't do this is clearly pure cheapness.

• Cheers 1

• 2 weeks later...

SPRINGFIELD, Mass. … American Hockey League President and CEO Scott Howson announced that the league’s Board of Governors has approved a schedule unification plan that will see all teams play a 72-game regular-season schedule beginning in 2022-23.

As part of the plan, for the 2021-22 season, teams in the Atlantic, North and Central Divisions have the option of playing either 76 or 72 games, while teams in the Pacific Division will play 68 games. Additionally, there will be an increase in the number of teams qualifying for the Calder Cup Playoffs each year; details will be finalized and announced later in the offseason.

The playing schedule and postseason format for the 2021-22 season, which begins Oct. 15, will be announced this summer.

AHLalignment_games.jpg

I am wondering if this is good time to create new thread like "AA [Put Name Here] 2021-22 Season" or we should wait some more time until the team gets its official name..? Or maybe just rename this thread since this is quite a small one...

Edited by Stierlitz

1 hour ago, Stierlitz said:

SPRINGFIELD, Mass. … American Hockey League President and CEO Scott Howson announced that the league’s Board of Governors has approved a schedule unification plan that will see all teams play a 72-game regular-season schedule beginning in 2022-23.

As part of the plan, for the 2021-22 season, teams in the Atlantic, North and Central Divisions have the option of playing either 76 or 72 games, while teams in the Pacific Division will play 68 games. Additionally, there will be an increase in the number of teams qualifying for the Calder Cup Playoffs each year; details will be finalized and announced later in the offseason.

The playing schedule and postseason format for the 2021-22 season, which begins Oct. 15, will be announced this summer.

AHLalignment_games.jpg

Will be interesting to see how they realign the divisions when Seattle's Palm Springs farm team joins the AHL in 2022-23.

21 minutes ago, Captain Canuck #12 said:

Will be interesting to see how they realign the divisions when Seattle's Palm Springs farm team joins the AHL in 2022-23.

I am betting that Colorado's farm team will re-align to the central division as from a travel perspective that would seem to make the most sense.

On 5/23/2021 at 6:41 PM, WeneedLumme said:

I think it is simple enough. Instead of cheaping out you just go down to the NHL Coach Store and buy a really good one, the kind that everybody wants. The reason they don't do this is clearly pure cheapness.

Well ..... Trotz joined the Isles in 2018 and Quenneville joined the Panthers 2019. So both were available, we chose to stick with Green at i believe a substantial lessor salary

Abbotsford Canucks...

I could see Aquilini doing this.  Following in the path of 6 other NHL teams.  Aquilini was the one who was instrumental in changing our colours back to the blue and green, so giving the farm team the same name as the NHL team is not inconceivable.

Currently, there are six AHL teams that have the same names as their NHL affiliate

• Providence Bruins
  • Belleville Senators
  • Binghamton Devils (soon to be the Utica Devils?)
  • Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
  • Iowa Wild
  • Texas Stars

It’s not inconceivable that the Canucks AHL affiliate follows a similar trajectory.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Binghamton Devils (soon to be the Utica Devils?)

Won't be the Devils.

One of the conditions of the deal Robert Esche made when dealing with NJ. was that the name and brand remain as the Comets.

You have a point though about the possibility of the team being named the Abbotsford Canucks.

Edited by Kootenay Gold
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Kootenay Gold said:

Won't be the Devils.

One of the conditions of the deal Robert Esche made when dealing with NJ. was that the name and brand remain as the Comets.

You have a point though about the possibility of the team being named the Abbotsford Canucks.

Comets president Robert Esche, who is also president of the Mohawk Valley Garden Inc. group that manages the team, registered “Utica Devils” as a trademark with the U.S. government’s Trademark and Patent Office on April 5, a step that could mean a change of teams is coming.

This is the last I saw maybe there's been a change