The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Sam Reinhart open to a trade back to West Coast

1 minute ago, mll said:

Luongo is getting paid at market value for his position.  The CBA considers cap circumvention if they agree on post retirement compensation to make up for lost salary.  It can result in cap penalties and/or the loss of draft picks.

Yes I realize that. I’m not suggesting LE be paid at his full hockey salary. Just gives him a way to save face.

• Cheers 1

26 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

Yes I realize that. I’m not suggesting LE be paid at his full hockey salary. Just gives him a way to save face.

That's still 3M in salary he would be giving up.

49 minutes ago, mll said:

Luongo is getting paid at market value for his position.  The CBA considers cap circumvention if they agree on post retirement compensation to make up for lost salary.  It can result in cap penalties and/or the loss of draft picks.

but thats just an NHL front office excuse. The fact is its a move that was greatly beneficial to Florida and Lu personally, at our expense. We should have been given the option to have Lu put on LTIR. Lu isn't just benefitting from salary, he's on a management track which is potentially quite valuable. 

Add to that, they changed the rule to benefit other recapture teams that doesn't help us either. The excuse that it didn't harm us is really bad, its like lowering everyone else's taxes on your block, but saying they did you a favour by not raising yours. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, mll said:

That's still 3M in salary he would be giving up.

That’s true and no one is suggesting he’d take it but you let him no what his options are and let him make his choice. Given this past year I think it’s highly unlikely he’d choose to retire but there are other players who have seen the writing on the wall and done so.

1 minute ago, 4petesake said:

That’s true and no one is suggesting he’d take it but you let him no what his options are and let him make his choice. Given this past year I think it’s highly unlikely he’d choose to retire but there are other players who have seen the writing on the wall and done so.

If Loui had any sense of decency he'd terminate his deal. Naslund had real character, Loui's a leech. Yes I understand it took two parties to make that deal, but some people have had the decency to move on when their careers were clearly over. 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

24 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

but thats just an NHL front office excuse. The fact is its a move that was greatly beneficial to Florida and Lu personally, at our expense. We should have been given the option to have Lu put on LTIR.

Add to that, they changed the rule to benefit other recapture teams that doesn't help us either. The excuse that it didn't harm us is really bad, its like lowering everyone else's taxes on your block, but saying they did you a favour by not raising yours. 

The Canucks lost that right by trading him.  Gillis admitted he always expected Luongo to end up on LTIR.  Feels like he just forgot to do the calculations and realise that there was a real risk that Florida would push for a retirement instead.  

Gillis even retained - which limited their cap space but also increased their penalty (marginally but still).  Just shows how he didn't think it through.

Teams were warned well before hand that those contracts would be penalised.  They still decided to take the risk.  The Canucks would have not had their 2011 roster without that trick.  It's understandable that other teams want them to be penalised.

The Canucks were also offered an out - teams were offered 2 compliance buyouts.  Buffalo and NYR used them on their recapture contracts.  Vancouver elected not to.

The change in rule this summer really only affects the Weber situation - the overall penalty doesn't change but they want to avoid a situation where the amount is 20M+ over a season.  They will still have to cover the full penalty but over a longer period of time - for Nashville it's still nearly 8M per year on the books for a few years rather than just 1 year at 20M+.   Nashville had the cap space to fit a 14M AAV the 4 years he was with them.  They didn't benefit from the contract at all.  Yet they are going to be hit by a penalty just because they matched an offer sheet.  They had already lost Suter to free agency and didn't want to lose another top pairing D.

Edited by mll

3 hours ago, mll said:

The Canucks lost that right by trading him.  Gillis admitted he always expected Luongo to end up on LTIR.  Feels like he just forgot to do the calculations and realise that there was a real risk that Florida would push for a retirement instead.  

Gillis even retained - which limited their cap space but also increased their penalty (marginally but still).  Just shows how he didn't think it through.

Teams were warned well before hand that those contracts would be penalised.  They still decided to take the risk.  The Canucks would have not had their 2011 roster without that trick.  It's understandable that other teams want them to be penalised.

The Canucks were also offered an out - teams were offered 2 compliance buyouts.  Buffalo and NYR used them on their recapture contracts.  Vancouver elected not to.

The change in rule this summer really only affects the Weber situation - the overall penalty doesn't change but they want to avoid a situation where the amount is 20M+ over a season.  They will still have to cover the full penalty but over a longer period of time - for Nashville it's still nearly 8M per year on the books for a few years rather than just 1 year at 20M+.   Nashville had the cap space to fit a 14M AAV the 4 years he was with them.  They didn't benefit from the contract at all.  Yet they are going to be hit by a penalty just because they matched an offer sheet.  They had already lost Suter to free agency and didn't want to lose another top pairing D.

but none of that changes the fact that Nashville received a benefit that we didn't. If the NHL cared about treating teams as equally as possible, they would have allowed us to put Li on LTIR vs just a cap hit. 

Its simply unfair that Nashville gets any kind of favourable rule change and we didn't. 

I trade the pick for Reinhart.

Miller Pettersson Boeser

Hoglander Horvat Reinhart

Just one top 6 player and our lineup looks so much better.

Or alternatively if you wanna spread things out and add a signing:

Hoglander Pettersson Boeser 

Pearson Horvat Reinhart

Saad Miller Podkolzin

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I trade the pick for Reinhart.

Miller Pettersson Boeser

Hoglander Horvat Reinhart

Just one top 6 player and our lineup looks so much better.

Or alternatively if you wanna spread things out and add a signing:

Hoglander Pettersson Boeser 

Pearson Horvat Reinhart

Saad Miller Podkolzin

Hall            Pettersson    Boeser

Hoglander  Miller            Reinhart

Pearson     Horvat          Podkolzin

Horvat's line can play against the top opposition.  Hall and Reinhart complete the top 9.  Speed to burn.  Just like what JB wants.  Hall can return to his 40 goal form playing with Petey and Brock.

Trading your first round pick for Reinhart and adding Hall in free agency would be two huge BOLD moves by Benning...

Edited by Elias Pettersson

5 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Horvat's line can play against the top opposition.  Hall and Reinhart complete the top 9.  Speed to burn.  Just like what JB wants.  Hall can return to his 40 goal form playing with Petey and Brock.

Trading your first round pick for Reinhart and adding Hall in free agency would be two huge BOLD moves by Benning...

Not sure we’d have the cap space to add Hall but yes that lineup is pretty deep.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Agreed. But with what cap?

3 minutes ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

Agreed. But with what cap?

Loui would have to retire, and we'd have to buyout Holtby and Virtanen.  Also, Beagle would have to be on LTIR and be replaced by a guy making the minimum for the 4C.  Edler also would have to take a big pay cut to stay on another year.

Lots of ifs, but Benning said everything is on the table, so he's gonna have to make some tough decisions.

11 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Loui would have to retire, and we'd have to buyout Holtby and Virtanen.  Also, Beagle would have to be on LTIR and be replaced by a guy making the minimum for the 4C.  Edler also would have to take a big pay cut to stay on another year.

Lots of ifs, but Benning said everything is on the table, so he's gonna have to make some tough decisions.

It's theoretically possible then. Jimbo said himself that he'll be aggressive - and that will involve having to get pretty creative...

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

It's theoretically possible then. Jimbo said himself that he'll be aggressive - and that will involve having to get pretty creative...

Call it a hunch, maybe I have some inside info (look at my username :)), but I think they already have an agreement in place for Loui to retire...

16 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Also, Beagle would have to be on LTIR and be replaced by a guy making the minimum for the 4C.  

This might be one of the best things about the move that Benning made for Highmore. Whether he plays 4C or somewhere else in the lineup, he's as cost-friendly as a player can get.

Edited by Herberts Vasiljevs
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Me_ said:

Save face?

How about I promise you three million dollars and we both sign…

Now go ahead and give it up.

Gotta agree with you there, but then again I don’t have a face that’s worth 3 mil to save. Now if I had been paid 33 million over 5 years for scoring a whopping total of 38 goals and 90 points, as well as only playing one game in a year that the team was woefully  short of manpower. It should be painfully obvious to him that the team has no use for him. So with all that in mind and having some pride, yes I would leave 3 mil on the table and will retire.  Will Loui? Doubtful.