The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Sam Reinhart open to a trade back to West Coast

30 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

Geeze I don’t know. $9 million dollar cap hit for six more years- that’s got to be the biggest cap dump ever, right? Possibly in term and I think definitely in cap hit. Looks to have $50 million remaining out of the original $72 million as well so quite a bit of actual cash left to pay. 

I think the price would be so exorbitant it’ll almost preclude any deal, especially with many owners apparently looking to save cash in the short term future. I imagine it would have to look something like the equivalent of three first rounders at the least given the aforementioned factors. 

They would have to take another bad contract back and they'd still have to pay a premium. If I'm Ron Francis, I ask for Dahlin or BUF 1st 2021 in exchange for taking Skinner. Seriously. Sure, they'll have to pay him for the next six years but maybe they can pencil him in as a top six guy. They'll be a young developing team with a much different path than the one Vegas took. NHL GMs learned from Vegas and they won't be willing to give Seattle as much. Francis is going to have to take a lot of cap dumps so it's going to take a long time for Seattle to get good. How long do you think? Six years, maybe? I mean that's about how long it's taking here. 

Is it worth it to Buffalo to trade a franchise player just to get rid of that horrendous Skinner contract? Why didn't someone tell the Buffalo GM that he was making a huge mistake when he signed this deal? I mean, someone must've known that this was a bad idea. $9 million USD for Jeff Skinner? That's more than Draisaitl. Are they seriously saying that they think Skinner could be as good as Draisaitl? Who else did they think was going to pay Skinner that much and furthermore why not just let them? What the hell was the pro-scouting department in Buffalo thinking? Were they really that desperate? 

If a bunch of NHL scouts really think Jeff Skinner could be worth $9 million dollars than maybe he's better than I think he is. Maybe, if Seattle were to cut a deal with Buffalo to take him he could put up a resurgent performance. I doubt that he'd put up 40 goals but he could still put 20g/45pts ($200,000 per point) like he used to in Carolina. Also, on the oft-chance that the Buffalo Sabres get rid of Jeff Skinner who the hell are they going to get with the cap space? I mean, these idiots in Buffalo just paid $9 million for Skinner, $6 million for Okposo what are they gonna do next with the cap space they hypothetically clear? 

If I'm a Buffalo fan, I'd advocate for the team to either buyout Skinner now or swallow the contract for a couple years until it gets easier to buyout. Buffalo won't be a contender for a playoff spot for years to come especially after they have to trade Eichel and/or Reinhart. They pissed millions of development dollars down the drain by trading those two forwards but I just don't see how they can continue with this group. They could also retain half his contract ($4.5 Million)  for the next six years and trade a lesser asset than Dahlin to someone in exchange for taking Skinner. That might be the way to go.

Before I post this I want everyone reading this to know that I seriously went off-topic here. 

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, BPA said:

Looks like Canucks will be in 9th or 10th spot prior to lotto.  So we get anywhere between 9-12 spot if luck is not on our side.

I don't see anyone in that range that can immediately step into the NHL.  Probably 2 years away.

I'd be OK with your trade proposal to get Reinhart.  Not sure about getting Risto though.

1st + Roussel + B prospect for Reinhart. 

agree 

I would give them Lind as the prospect

10th/9th OA + Roussel + Lind 

for Reinhart 4th

Miller Petey Hogz

Podkolzin Reinhart Boesser

Pearson Horvat Highmore

Motte Sutter Mcewan/Gadjo

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Canucks Curse said:

agree 

for Reinhart 4th

Miller Petey Hogz

Pearson Horvat Highmore

The armchair GM in me says that forward group looks sweet!!!

1 hour ago, Canucks Curse said:

agree 

for Reinhart 4th

Miller Petey Hogz

Pearson Horvat Highmore

This would be the deal of a century if it could be done. I really doubt it. He killed it last year, much more so than JT miller when he was traded to us. I expect the price for Reinhart is higher than it was for Miller.
1st OA
2x 2nds
B level prospect

If we want them to take Roussel we'd have to sweeten the deal further. Probably upgrade to a tier 1 prospect like Juolevi. 

And do you really want to lose another 1st round pick? Once Podz graduates, we dont really have any top-6 material cooking in the prospect pool. We should be replenishing the cupboards ASAP if we want to be contenders 3-5 years from now. 

If the price for Reinhart is a several picks and a great prospect, I'd really rather look at trading up in the draft to pick up special talents like Guenther. Guys like that could pot 20-30 goals on their ELC contract, freeing us up to spend big $ elsewhere when we're ready to compete. 

On 5/14/2021 at 1:42 PM, Wanless said:

Starting at a first and prospect/second rounder 

What would you accept as payment for taking on a contract like that to your team?

And history shows that type of dump costs a first plus

Based on similar trades the cost would be a 2nd. A 6 million cap hit is not a big deal for teams not near the cap and with only a real cost of a million it's an easy sell to an owner for a 2nd especially if said team is below the cap floor like Seattle or a cheap owner like Melnyk.

I will be surprised if Benning doesn't create cap space to improve since he is on thin ice and the optics justified or not of this season magnifies everything. I also think unless we win the draft lottery I think he uses that pick in a package for Sam.

Reinhart is RFA.  He made $5.2M on a 1yr contact.  Correct me if I'm wrong but can't he file for arbitration?  And aren't arbitration usually 1yr?  And if so, wouldn't that make Reinhart a UFA after that contract?

If BUF can't re-sign him to a long term contract,  they have to trade him.  I would think that any offers would require Reinhart to signing a contract to the team adding him.

And Reinhart mentioned West coast as possible trading destination.  So that already limits a few teams that he would consider going to.

34 minutes ago, BPA said:

Reinhart is RFA.  He made $5.2M on a 1yr contact.  Correct me if I'm wrong but can't he file for arbitration?  And aren't arbitration usually 1yr?  And if so, wouldn't that make Reinhart a UFA after that contract?

If BUF can't re-sign him to a long term contract,  they have to trade him.  I would think that any offers would require Reinhart to signing a contract to the team adding him.

And Reinhart mentioned West coast as possible trading destination.  So that already limits a few teams that he would consider going to.

The only thing that really gives Buffalo decent value for Reinhart is if they take money back in the trade so they open up more potential suitors.  Lots of contending teams would be fine giving up something decent for just one year of Reinhart and the possible head start on signing him longer term.

Buffalo also hasn't yet signalled whether they are rebuilding yet again or if they want to make hockey trades to try to be better in the short term.  I think most of it depends on Eichel... if they can find a way to make him happy, then they "re-tool" to give him some help.  If Eichel is on the way out, then they should just  go all out for picks/prospects.

4 hours ago, Nicklas Bo Hunter said:

I think if we lose the lotto there is a good chance benning would offer 9-11 to buff for reinhart. Benning will get his last chance and would want an impact player for help now. 

I would not be opposed to it if the price is right.

12 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

If the rumors of Miller wanting out hold any water, would a Reinhart for Miller swap make sense?

Not sure.  Sounds more like a lateral move for both teams.

16 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

If the rumors of Miller wanting out hold any water, would a Reinhart for Miller swap make sense?

Why is Miller wanting out?

VAN

Reinhart

Ristolainen

BUF

Miller

Pearson

Virtanen

32 minutes ago, BPA said:

Not sure.  Sounds more like a lateral move for both teams.

That's kinda the point. I don't think either team really wants to lose their guy, but if both guys want out, something like this could make sense for both teams.

26 minutes ago, Me_ said:

Why is Miller wanting out?

VAN

Reinhart

Ristolainen

BUF

Miller

Pearson

Virtanen

At this point I think it's more speculation than anything, but there are some rumors that he's disgruntled. 

Also, like WHL Rocks said, nobody is taking Virtanen, and I don't want Ristolainen anywhere near this team.

Edited by 48MPHSlapShot
  • Vintage 1