The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Edmonton Oilers l May 15, 12:30 p.m. l SNP | PLAYOFFS EDITION

Rate this topic

-SN-

Just now, canuck73_3 said:

How do we know what Gadj brings at an NHL level? 

You literally used that same argument when I brought up Podkolzin as a good draft pick.

So why is it a good argument when you use it but sad when I do? :ph34r:

The key word is potential.

We can’t pass up on potential. Therefore we can’t afford to give up either. What’s so hard to understand?

Gadj plays a style that we need. Whether that translates remains to be seen but we can’t give up before we find out. 

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

10 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

The key word is potential.

We can’t pass up on potential. Therefore we can’t afford to give up either. What’s so hard to understand?

Gadj plays a style that we need. Whether that translates remains to be seen but we can’t give up before we find out. 

We can’t brush it off when crediting Benning either. 

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

Which stars would you be referring to that year?

Stajan, Cammalleri, or 35 year old Tanguay?

Their stars the year they drafted Makar were their young players. So yes they were still tanking.  Not really a good comparison for our team.

In 2016/17, McKinnon, Duchene, Rantanen and Landeskog were their top 4 scoring forwards, and Barrie their top D (Erik Johnson was 2nd best if you consider ppg).  These players were consistently getting top minutes in the last few games that year.  The three players you listed weren't on the team then (or 2012/13). 

Stajan and Cammalleri never even played for the Avs. :picard:  

How were they tanking when they are playing their best players?  They were not playing to lose, hence not tanking.

• Cheers 3

6 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Read: why cant they score when games matter?

Yeah that the hardest part about trying to judge what you have in a game that is more than meaningless for the Oilers. It’s a game that their only objective is to come out of it without injuries, suspensions, etc.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Googlie said:

The same way that Bailey is rated higher than Lind or Gadjovich.  Matured earlier, showed more, better pedigree.  We dont even know if Gadjovich has adequate enough foot speed to play in the NHL.

All this talk of "must protect him" amuses me.  No way Seattle picks a totally unknown quantity... and it's not as though they are having to staff a farm team this winter,  they will start their Palm Springs team for the 2022-23 season, and this winter will disperse their prospects throughout the other AHL teams, much like Vegas did their early years

I wouldn’t count on them to take only roster players.  They have to pick 30 players and will end up with more players than they can keep on their main roster.  With the flat cap it could be difficult to move those excess contracts.  They might pick an unknown quantity from Vancouver given the players likely to be available.

• Vintage 1

Wow! Just wow!  All you guys saying tank, and let's play rookies over vets.

First of all, Green is coaching for a job.  Whether it's still with the canucks or for another organization.  Why would green just put rookies to appease the fans to "tank".  He's a professional and wins/loss records are put on him just like the goalies.  No professional player/coach will stop trying (unless they just don't give a damn about what happens, or forcing a trade out, etc.).  Green has to coach every game to win.  He's not going to be putting rookies in high leverage spots just to "see" what they can do, unless they have either earned the spot, or they're in a position that they have to play them.

So stop with this "tanking" philosophy.  Put yourself in Green's shoes.  You don't have a contract for next season, and you're playing out the season.  Do you throw away your morals and stop coaching and play the rookies or do you try to win and coach to the best of your abilities?  I don't know about you, but if I were in Green's shoes, I'm playing to win all the time.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Viper007 said:

First of all, Green is coaching for a job.  Whether it's still with the canucks or for another organization.  Why would green just put rookies to appease the fans to "tank".  He's a professional and wins/loss records are put on him just like the goalies.  No professional player/coach will stop trying (unless they just don't give a damn about what happens, or forcing a trade out, etc.).  Green has to coach every game to win.  He's not going to be putting rookies in high leverage spots just to "see" what they can do, unless they have either earned the spot, or they're in a position that they have to play them.

So stop with this "tanking" philosophy.  Put yourself in Green's shoes.  You don't have a contract for next season, and you're playing out the season.  Do you throw away your morals and stop coaching and play the rookies or do you try to win and coach to the best of your abilities?  I don't know about you, but if I were in Green's shoes, I'm playing to win all the time.

Ironically the ones crying short sighted are the ones in fact being short sighted.

10 minutes ago, Viper007 said:

You're right.  If I was in Green's shoes I'd be trying to win, too.

But I'm not the coach.  I'm a fan.  And from a Canucks' fan point of view, there's an argument to be made that it would be best if the team lost their remaining games and secured a higher draft pick.

Always nice to grab a win especially against the Coilers. Highmore notches a pair. Horvat and Boyd get on the board as well. Demko continues his stellar play between the pipes. It’s always a morale boost for the team and especially the kids to get a win. Losing is just awful and you’re not even guaranteed a top 3 pick especially with the lotto.  Keep the effort going and always aim for glory! GCG!