The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[proposal] Are Eriksson, Beagle, and Roussel “moveable” this summer?

I say bit the bullet with all their contracts so there's total freedom from their contracts in full next offseason with no Dead Cap. If any team wants them at the trade deadline retain salary to get something for them.

The Canucks need to get out of Cap hell and be Cap healthy for a change, would just have 1 more year of Luongo's $3M recapture penalty.

We need all the picks/prospects we can get during these next 2 drafts.

Bite the bullet and wait it out another year. We are probably gonna have a bunch of young players developing on the team anyway.

Edited by Junkyard Dog
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, ken kaniff said:

This is factually incorrect...Yet proves no facts on the contrary lol.

And before you jump on me for having no facts myself, I did try looking up articles but couldn’t find anything from 2016 other than just announcing the LE signing.

The first few pages of the LE roster thread are shockingly positive. Especially considering how much of a train wreck he turned out to be. 

• Cheers 1

Beagle is not a big problem to move in the summer. Yes overpaid but he is still a good 4th liner and great PKer. 

Good veteran for a rebuilding team and they could even flip him for a 5th at the Deadline at 50% retained.

Beagle+6th for 7th should do it. Or he will be on LTIR next season/retire..

Roussel Idk what to do. A Buyout is not really an option (almost no savings). Sending him to Utica still leaves us

with 2 million in cap and even though it would be kinda nice to have him as depth we probably need the cap.

I'm also not willing on spending assets to move him, so I might try something like Roussel at 1 million retained 

and might be willing to throw in a 7th or c-prospect.

Eriksson its probably best to just ride out the contract. Buyout if we desperately need the extra 850k next season,

Virtanen Buyout or is there any hope he will return or that his contract gets terminated without cap penalties?

For some reason his Buyout is very cheap at least.

Baertschi and Spooner off the books.

Dead Cap 2021/22:                         Dead Cap 2022/23: 

- 3.03 Luongo                                  - 1.0 Eriksson

- 1.0 Roussel                                   - 0.5 Virtanen

- 4.0 Eriksson (Buyout)                    = 1.5

- 0.05 Virtanen (Buyout)

= 8.1

2 hours ago, Patel Bure said:

Agreed that we shouldn’t be using 1sts or top prospects (Rathbone, OJ, Podz, etc) as sweeteners, but you don’t think using a 2nd and 3rd+7th (or 3rd + mid prospect) would be worth using as a sweetener?

I guess I'd have to see the deal, but I just can't see anyone including Seattle taking on Loui for just a 2nd, and I'd hate to burn a potential top 4 d (often found in the 2nd round) on moving Roussel. 

• Cheers 1

20 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I guess I'd have to see the deal, but I just can't see anyone including Seattle taking on Loui for just a 2nd, and I'd hate to burn a potential top 4 d (often found in the 2nd round) on moving Roussel. 

Good point a little 2nd round dmen but the flip side of that is that most 2nd rounders in the NHL do not pan out.   The cap space that we would create from moving in from Roussel, would likely enable us to bring in a “2nd round calibre” player via free agency.  

It’s ultimately a balancing act.  I am of the opinion that the Canucks need to prioritize  feeding their current core of Horvat, Pettersson, Boeser, Demko, and Hughes rather than risk having another lackluster season next season.   

• Vintage 1

12 minutes ago, Patel Bure said:

Good point a little 2nd round dmen but the flip side of that is that most 2nd rounders in the NHL do not pan out.   The cap space that we would create from moving in from Roussel, would likely enable us to bring in a “2nd round calibre” player via free agency.  

It’s ultimately a balancing act.  I am of the opinion that the Canucks need to prioritize  feeding their current core of Horvat, Pettersson, Boeser, Demko, and Hughes rather than risk having another lackluster season next season.   

So much depends on the draft position too. If we're picking 35th vs. 55th e.g with that pick. 

But its also clear our core guys need better support. its a tough one. 

• Cheers 1

Eriksson will be bought out this summer, saving 1 million in hard cash, and reducing his cap hit for next season, to 4 million and only costing us 1 million the following season.

Roussel will hopefully show up next season, looking like the same guy from the first year of his contract, he was extremely effective before his knee injury. If he doesn't, and can't outplay the kids who are pushing him, we either move him for a late round pick, or just send him to Abbotsford.

When healthy, we are a harder team to play against with Beagle in the lineup. Our penalty kill is better, and because he is obsessed with fitness, you hope that some of that, rubs off on the younger players. Fans generally only equate points to contract value, but there is a lot more that goes into valuing a players' contract with the team. I hope Beagle is healthy enough to continue with the Canucks.

Virtanen will be gone, I do not see any chance for him to come back. At this point, he has embarrassed the team and will either be bought out (would save us 2 million in cash, and only costs $50,000 next year and $500,000 the second). Depending on what the team finds through investigation, they may also be able to just terminate his contract for violation of the conduct clause of his contract.

Holtby will be taken by Seattle saving 4.3 million and opening the door for DiPietro to take over as backup, if he's ready to handle it.

Those changes will save the team a little under 9 million next season.

Fans need to stop panicking about what to do with some of these guys, we are fine for cap space this summer, next summer, we are even better with a lot of other contracts dropping off, including Luongo's

• Cheers 1

Eriksson is untouchable for all the wrong reasons, so no, worst contract in the NHL right now and everyone knows it. The smart thing to do would be to bury him in minors next season and then I think we only get a 4M cap hit from him? One more year anyway.

Beagle is worth his money as a 12 minute 4th line center and top penalty killer, but he might be on LTIR the entire season so don't think he's going anywhere, might be close to retiring.

Roussel is a waste of space, a bit like a mini-Eriksson, and the league knows it. Unless we get lucky and Seattle pick him, he's stuck with us and his useless cap hit.

7 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

worst contract in the NHL right now and everyone knows it.

No, the worst contract would be 

Jeff Skinner who has 6 more years at a $9 mill cap hit, scored 14 points this season.

Any way we can pay Eriksson under the table and tell him to Kindly &^@# off and retire?  :-p.  This would save us 6 million in cap rather than the paltry million we’d save in either buying him or sending him to the AHL.

Edited by Patel Bure