The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Twins Coming Back?

Rate this topic

HKSR

7 hours ago, Squamfan said:

But yet for some reason the team has never drafted higher than fifth (during that period) and with this (very familiar) late season winning streak, the team is drafting closer to the tenth pick - hopefully JB continues with his draft mojo and some teams go off board with there picks.   

It seems obvious that ownership is aware that the fans of the Canucks (the vocal ones) are not very accepting of tanking cause of the stigma it carries as accepting a losing culture; this is perhaps a big reason why Aquaman (who is always spending to the cap) has not fully accepted a full rebuild since JBs’ arrival and tends to meddle.  At the very least, winning these meaningless games makes the fans feel good in the short term - more of the same and HOPEFULLY this is the core that will be hoisting our first cup ?

Edited by ShawnAntoski

I have one question.        WHY ?

To insulate the owners from fans who have waited 50 years for a cup?    This is a smoke screen to stop you from seeing the incomitances of this management and ownership group.   

Nothing more.

40 minutes ago, Locke Lamora said:

No problem with the twins coming back. Just their presence will class up the joint.

And few people could ever hope to have the work ethic of those two. If they decide to become good at something they just will.

Pretty much my feeling as well, after sitting with the news a while.

We can certainly question the timing, as the team just needs a PR “win” right now, and I’m sure that was a factor.

However, it’s been known for a while that the twins wanted to return to hockey at some point, in a front office/hockey ops type of role. So maybe the timeline was moved up a little, but I doubt that much, and this was probably going to happen at some point, regardless of the team situation, or the owners needing window dressing.

The twins are nobody’s fool. They are not going to just get “used.” Regardless of the circumstances of their joining the team, the end result, for them, will be getting in the door, and building up their expertise and qualifications, likely leading to long second careers for Hank and Danny, as hockey management/executives.

And there are very few human beings on this earth that are higher quality individuals than the twins. Any organization would be better for having them. And I expect they will be very successful, at whatever roles they take on, and whatever challenges they face.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Pretty much my feeling as well, after sitting with the news a while.

We can certainly question the timing, as the team just needs a PR “win” right now, and I’m sure that was a factor.

However, it’s been known for a while that the twins wanted to return to hockey at some point, in a front office/hockey ops type of role. So maybe the timeline was moved up a little, but I doubt that much, and this was probably going to happen at some point, regardless of the team situation, or the owners needing window dressing.

The twins are nobody’s fool. They are not going to just get “used.” Regardless of the circumstances of their joining the team, the end result, for them, will be getting in the door, and building up their expertise and qualifications, likely leading to long second careers for Hank and Danny, as hockey management/executives.

And there are very few human beings on this earth that are higher quality individuals than the twins. Any organization would be better for having them. And I expect they will be very successful, at whatever roles they take on, and whatever challenges they face.

Quality post. Agreed that the twins will not be anyone’s “PR puppets”. If they return it will be to help elevate the team out of it’s current situation. Watching the entirety of their careers starting with the abuse they took as rookies, to sure Hall of Famers, I would not bet against them being successful. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/19/2021 at 11:01 AM, appleboy said:

I have one question.        WHY ?

To insulate the owners from fans who have waited 50 years for a cup?    This is a smoke screen to stop you from seeing the incomitances of this management and ownership group.   

Nothing more.

NHL.com has an article about it - doesn't look anything like that - the Sedins approached them.   Nice read, looks like they want to learn everything about the organization, amateur draft, how things are run etc.   Same thing Yzerman did, same thing Sakic did.   Same thing Francis did.   In other words groomed for a larger role later - no complaints here and you shouldn't be complaining either we might be looking at this as the start of a succession plan for JB who we know is polarizing and a lot of folks aren't to happy about right now. 

• Like 1

On 5/19/2021 at 11:45 AM, NewbieCanuckFan said:

People who doubt this, look no further than the relationship between them and Torts today.  Both have a deep respect for each other (that’s despite Torts reputation, richly deserved).

These guys can work with anybody and be the same classy, respectful individuals they have always been.

Yep.   Don't see why anyone would complain about this - it's not Linden 2.0.  At least yet. 

On 5/19/2021 at 1:54 AM, King Heffy said:

I'd love to see them working in player development.  Who better than the Sedins to teach the kids in Abbotsford how to be pros, especially a guy like Podkolzin who will be going through quite a culture shock?  They're both too nice to be effective in management.

Or they could be placed on this forum to learn fans on how to behave themselves. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

I still prefer fringe types that have had to struggle the hardest to stay in the league. It's said they make the best coaches. Like Malhotra and I think Jannik Hansen will be one. 

Correct.  Players that aren't as physically gifted or skilled have to try that much harder and often think the game at a better level then the ones that have that. WG would have surpassed Bowman by now if that were the case.   Roy maybe too (although he did win the Adams didn't he?).    There is a reason that the best coaches all-time weren't the best players all-time.    Look at the list.   Who amongst them is also a HHOF player?  

Edit:  Larry Robinson might be the exception if he coached longer.    What a player and for sure a great coach too.   Wherever he's gone greatness follows him. 

Look at the top ten.   Pat Quin and Al Arbour ... decent NHLers, great coaches.  Quenville too.   Not Pat Burns.   Not Bowman.   Not Keenan (ugh).   Not Trotz,  not Hitchcock.   Travis Green deserves his chance too.   Glad he's not a NYR or Buffalo coach. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

I still prefer fringe types that have had to struggle the hardest to stay in the league. It's said they make the best coaches. Like Malhotra and I think Jannik Hansen will be one. 

The fringe players who had to struggle and earn every second of ice time may make for better coaches but I think what we are seeing right now is that the former NHL stars make very good GM's, just look at Sakic, Murray, Yzerman, Sweeney, Francis, Blake, Guerin, even Hextall and more this season than the last few Bergevin. All of those GMs have over 1,000 NHL games played, with the obvious exception of Hextall, he's 49th all time in games played for a goalie and only 3 goalies in NHL history have topped 1,000 games. I believe that this is more of the end goal for bringing the Sedins back.

• Cheers 1

Seems like the twins are pretty determined to bring a cup to Vancouver. Curious if they could be successful as assistant coaches? They’ve got the smarts to put pucks in the net, and they’ve experienced the toughest defenses on a nightly basis. Not saying that’s the right call but I could see them being pretty strong in that role. 

2 hours ago, IBatch said:

Correct.  Players that aren't as physically gifted or skilled have to try that much harder and often think the game at a better level then the ones that have that. WG would have surpassed Bowman by now if that were the case.   Roy maybe too (although he did win the Adams didn't he?).    There is a reason that the best coaches all-time weren't the best players all-time.    Look at the list.   Who amongst them is also a HHOF player?  

Edit:  Larry Robinson might be the exception if he coached longer.    What a player and for sure a great coach too.   Wherever he's gone greatness follows him. 

Look at the top ten.   Pat Quin and Al Arbour ... decent NHLers, great coaches.  Quenville too.   Not Pat Burns.   Not Bowman.   Not Keenan (ugh).   Not Trotz,  not Hitchcock.   Travis Green deserves his chance too.   Glad he's not a NYR or Buffalo coach. 

Toe Blake was a pretty good player.

• Cheers 1