The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks sign Travis Green to contract extension

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

20 minutes ago, Dumb Nuck said:

Just curious, a question for the pro-Greeners, if we miss the playoffs next year will that be enough to convince you we need a new coach?

I would say it might be time for a change, however, I simply don't think this group of players is good enough at this point to say we should be guaranteed a playoff spot.

I would say being the most successful team in hockey for over a decade lead to a predictable and understandable decline, and it's pretty clear to me that coaching isn't the only thing holding this team back. There are way too many mistakes made by the players that aren't related to coaching. To be honest I don't like Green or dislike him. He could be fired tomorrow and I wouldn't care. I just think it's silly to try to pretend you know how he's coaching from watching the game on TV.

You can fire Green, then you can fire every coach until we win the Cup but I think as a fan, an athlete, and as Canuck personnel patience is required to be successful in hockey.

2 minutes ago, IRR said:

I've seen you go on about other stuff. And if you want to talk about just this...you post about it negativity over and over and over...beating a dead horse! If you don't like it / disagree with it, fine, but leave it at that. Negative posts over and over will not change anything. 

This is a thread about Green coming back, if your expecting everyone to rub your tummy and agree with you then you’re in the wrong place. Would be a pretty dead forum if it was one big love in.

• Huggy Bear 1

Honestly, I see no changes.  at all at this point.  Newell, Baumgartner, Weisbrod need to go.  Keep Green ok.  Keep Benning fine.   But keeping the obvious, the apparent and the clear issues with this teams struggles from the management and coaching groups is absolutely insane.  

• Cheers 3

2 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

I would say it might be time for a change, however, I simply don't think this group of players is good enough at this point to say we should be guaranteed a playoff spot.

I would say being the most successful team in hockey for over a decade lead to a predictable and understandable decline, and it's pretty clear to me that coaching isn't the only thing holding this team back. There are way too many mistakes made by the players that aren't related to coaching. To be honest I don't like Green or dislike him. He could be fired tomorrow and I wouldn't care. I just think it's silly to try to pretend you know how he's coaching from watching the game on TV.

You can fire Green, then you can fire every coach until we win the Cup but I think as a fan, an athlete, and as Canuck personnel patience is required to be successful in hockey.

Here’s the thing, you like a lot others think our coach is ok but our players aren’t good enough, I think the opposite, I think our players are good enough, our coach isn’t but because I’m in the minority I’m being called negative, hypocrisy.

Im not directing this at you as you are fair about your posts, just quoting to make my point

Just now, Dumb Nuck said:

This is a thread about Green coming back, if your expecting everyone to rub your tummy and agree with you then you’re in the wrong place. Would be a pretty dead forum if it was one big love in.

That is 100% NOT what i said!!! It's not what people are doing, it's how you're doing it!! If you can't see that how the media / some fans have been acting / reacting, especially lately is an extreme overreaction, very negative / hateful, entitled and immature, then i'm not sure what to tell you. 

You may want to read my post in the jim benning thread about something i went through recently and how there's more important things in life.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Dumb Nuck said:

Here’s the thing, you like a lot others think our coach is ok but our players aren’t good enough, I think the opposite, I think our players are good enough, our coach isn’t but because I’m in the minority I’m being called negative, hypocrisy.

Im not directing this at you as you are fair about your posts, just quoting to make my point

I agree with you. Keep in mind that the recent CDC poll had 55% keep Green and 45% turf him, so there are lots of fans who aren't sold on him.

BTW 91% wanted Baum and Brown gone and 98% wanted Clark back.

We will see what happens there.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Dumb Nuck said:

No point well taken and fair and healthy enough for you to have an opinion and express it. I'm no hockey guru but I don't spend hours crapping on the players faults with the same punch line 14 times a game. I usually find that 23 people aren't singly undone by one. I take it all with a grain of salt and realize some times I may be right but I'm not perfect so I'm not going to force my opinion on everyone else as if it's 1090% right. That's the difference I think.

I do appreciate your opinion though, maybe Green is the only thing stopping us from a Cup. I don't know.

If he is, good luck on your pilgrimage.

And oh yeah.

I hope you never have sex again. :bigblush:

• Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, IRR said:

That's definitely fair! But, it's just everywhere / all the time these days and it's exhausting. It's really too bad!

there is, but I chalk it up to covid. Its created a societal short fuse, and that leads to a lot of negativity. I heard on 650 a tweet today from a "fan" saying he'll quit being a Canucks fan if they don't re-sign Ian Clark :lol:

I mean who quits their team over the goalie coach? thats the mindset a lot of people are in right now. 

• Haha 3

9 minutes ago, IRR said:

That is 100% NOT what i said!!! It's not what people are doing, it's how you're doing it!! If you can't see that how the media / some fans have been acting / reacting, especially lately is an extreme overreaction, very negative / hateful, entitled and immature, then i'm not sure what to tell you. 

You may want to read my post in the jim benning thread about something i went through recently and how there's more important things in life.

I don’t follow social media nor follow the news so I do not know what you’re referring to, I just have my opinion about coaching based on my life experiences.

38 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Depends on the roster.

Are we getting any major improvements next season?

A healthy team, with Pettersson the full year, Podkolzin’s arrival, Rathbone up for the full year, continued development of the young players, and maybe a key addition or two (if there’s money) should be able to push for a playoff spot.

But how much dead salary will we be carrying?

Is Eriksson still on the books?

Beagle, Roussel, Ferland? LTIR? 

Will we still be icing a defence that requires playing Tyler Myers for 22 minutes per game?

Lots of questions.

One I don’t have is whether or not Travis Green will provide competent coaching behind the bench. 

I can’t say whether or not we’ll make the playoffs. But if we do miss, it probably won’t be because of the head coach. It’ll more likely be because of the team assembled to play the games in 2021-22, either due to roster building/cap management, or because of illnesses/injuries preventing the full team from playing.

Thank you. Anyone that's invested a lot of time into hockey should clearly see the bigger obstacles which won't be overcome simply with good coaching.

12 hours ago, Dumb Nuck said:

Don’t blame me, I’d rather we move on and get down to the business of winning a Cup.

You think you can win a Formula 1 circuit with a Honda Civic?

Edited by Me_
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Dumb Nuck said:

so, you actually think you know better than the people who are involved with the team, paid to make the decisions, have decades of experience, and whose livelihoods depend on making the right call? you genuinely believe that your perspective is more enlightened than travis green's own players, who clearly would go through a wall for him? you're honestly arrogant enough to believe that the little nuggets you get from the media and the insights you glean by half-watching the games while shrieking about the team on social media, truly qualifies you as a better judge of talent and personnel than those employed to do so?

I wish I could live in an absurd fantasy world like that. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

6 minutes ago, Dumb Nuck said:

I say we have the car, just a bad driver.

If Pettersson is playing this season, we squeeze into the playoffs.

That’s another 40-50+ high calibre, high pressure points on the books; not including the derivative points everyone else get by having Pettersson in the lineup. Lots of game-winning points.

We’re singing a different song then.

Edited by Me_

1 minute ago, tas said:

so, you actually think you know better than the people who are involved with the team, paid to make the decisions, have decades of experience, and whose livelihoods depend on making the right call? you genuinely believe that your perspective is more enlightened than travis green's own players, who clearly would go through a wall for him? you're honestly arrogant enough to believe that the little nuggets you get from the media and the insights you glean by half-watching the games while shrieking about the team on social media, truly qualifies you as a better judge of talent and personnel than those employed to do so?

I wish I could live in an absurd fantasy world like that. 

I think keeping Green is the wrong decision, not like all these smart people you refer to haven’t made bad decisions before. 

I also get nothing from social media, don’t follow it, don’t care, I do have extensive experience coaching people both in sport and in business and all my experience tells me he is the wrong coach. 

34 minutes ago, Dumb Nuck said:

image.jpeg.8dba4c6e8754ab84a5574237af3fe1de.jpeg  image.jpeg.dc0f9874be7cb9a793f662cc946a28fe.jpeg

image.jpeg.629208aba919b5ec4dea1545a2297000.jpeg Why Do Dogs Like Belly Rubs? | Glamorous Dogs

Whatever, dogs would love it. 

• Cheers 1