The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks sign Travis Green to contract extension

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

Good news. Green brought this team within a win of the WCF last season. He’s a terrific coach and the team has been raving about his presence and coaching style. He’s definitely the man for the job imo. His assistants are a different story however. Need some competent and established assistants who have experience. Our future is in good hands imo

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

A lot of the issues you mention fall squarely on Brown and Baumgartner. Benning shares some blame for giving Green less than capable personnel, like Vesey. I don't think many folks on here have faith in Brown or Baumgartner. Hughes and Myers sound like they approve of Baumgartner though, so who knows what to make of it. My biggest issue with the team is that there is a seeming lack of identity and consistency. That doesn't fall so much on the players, rather the coaches and management. I guess they're going to have another season to figure it out though. 

I will disagree about Vesey.  When they plugged him into the top six right after acquiring him, he was squeezing the stick too tight trying to make an impression and gacked on several good chances.  Once he was playing bottom six minutes and on the PK, he was actually okay.  He's got good speed, worked hard on the boards, got more physical as time went went on and recovered more pucks than I expected.  He's got very good vision for a bottom six winger, I think it was against Edmonton that he made that beautiful setup to Miller for a backside tap-in.  And he was decent on the PK, because he's fairly tall and rangy, and moves well.  I think once he got comfortable with the personnel, and was on a line with Boyd, with whom he had obviously played, he was fine.  Better than any of the other bottom six wingers except Highmore, who really impressed me in the final five games.  I think Vesey is one of those bottom six wingers who can move up and down the lineup as needed.  I'd offer him a two or three-year contract at about $1M and see if he bites.   

13 minutes ago, iwtl said:

Reading comprehension fail? Get off your high horse lol. Debating and discussing an issue is one thing .... you want to piss on someone replying to your quote attest let them know your not interested in discussing 

There wasn't anything to debate Mr high horse. My post states right in it we'd be signing UFA's. Clearly your reading comprehension was lacking.

I'm just unclear why it's such a primary focus for some. Especially RIGHT NOW when our core hasn't even entered it's prime.

If only we had millions more available to target Ovie this summer! :frantic:

:lol:

I also think there's a massive dose of the ironing about people whining about our 'bad' UFA dollars finally coming off so we can... wait for it... sign more UFA's! Hilarious!:lol:

• Like 1

Just now, Gawdzukes said:

I don't I guess, it's just absolutely sickening to be part of anything these days with everyone just hating anything, everyone and everything Canucks. Back in the day sports were fun and we cheered for our teams win or lose no matter what, with a little occasional good natured bitching and acceptance. Now we're just a bunch of know it all crybabies crying all the time, repeating the same BS over and over again ad nauseum.

Definitely makes the GDT's and even enjoying the games difficult. Keep complaining though I'm sure one of these years FA will join CDC and listen you your innate wisdom. Without Green we'd definitely be in the playoffs right now. Guaranteed first or second seed. :sick:

I’ve only ever been on one bandwagon and that’s the “Fire Green” bandwagon, I think we have a pretty decent team, just the wrong coach and IMHO we can not move forward til he is gone. Whatever the Canucks are doing is not working, bringing in someone new would give new things to work on but now we’ll just have another season of same old, same old.

• RoughGame 1

2 minutes ago, canuckleheads fan said:

I will disagree about Vesey.  When they plugged him into the top six right after acquiring him, he was squeezing the stick too tight trying to make an impression and gacked on several good chances.  Once he was playing bottom six minutes and on the PK, he was actually okay.  He's got good speed, worked hard on the boards, got more physical as time went went on and recovered more pucks than I expected.  He's got very good vision for a bottom six winger, I think it was against Edmonton that he made that beautiful setup to Miller for a backside tap-in.  And he was decent on the PK, because he's fairly tall and rangy, and moves well.  I think once he got comfortable with the personnel, and was on a line with Boyd, with whom he had obviously played, he was fine.  Better than any of the other bottom six wingers except Highmore, who really impressed me in the final five games.  I think Vesey is one of those bottom six wingers who can move up and down the lineup as needed.  I'd offer him a two or three-year contract at about $1M and see if he bites.   

Fair enough. Discourse is good. 

• Huggy Bear 1

1 minute ago, Dumb Nuck said:

I’ve only ever been on one bandwagon and that’s the “Fire Green” bandwagon, I think we have a pretty decent team, just the wrong coach and IMHO we can not move forward til he is gone. Whatever the Canucks are doing is not working, bringing in someone new would give new things to work on but now we’ll just have another season of same old, same old.

He is 100% right and you are a prime example of what he's talking about! 

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, canuckleheads fan said:

Last year's bubble team was a dump and chase team too.  It's because when teams stand up at the blue line your only option is to dump and chase.  Otherwise you turn the puck over at your blueline, and it becomes an odd man rushing going the other way.  It was reported that Miller convinced Petey that dump and chase was the best way to make zone entry.  They work hard, recover the puck, as Miller often does, and gain zone time.  Now that we have several defensemen who are deadly zone exit passers, Hughes, Rathbone, and most of all OJ, maybe we'll see more transition offense, but when the team is forced to chip the puck out and recover in the neutral zone, all that's usually left is to dump and chase.  It's pretty much what every team in the league does.  That's why puck retrievers like Hogs, and hopefully Pods, Gadj and Lind, are in such high demand.

Dump and turnover/line change is much different than actual dump and chase. The key part is the chase to recover pucks. The Canucks are just not very good at getting in effectively to forecheck. Lots of reasins for that really.

The team isnt "forced" to chip the puck out. And its not like we didnt already have several dmen who know how to transition the puck.

Attacking with speed through the neutral zone is the key to maintaining possession, even if you end up dumping and chasing.

Our D hang onto pucks too long before transitioning it out, which usually leads to a dump it out and turn it over. Part of the reason is our forwards are on the whole terrible at being in a position to take a pass at speed. Most of the time they are stationary or near stationary in the neutral zone. So of course other teams have an easy time forcing them to dump it in. And they rarely have the momentum to effectively recover the puck.

The lack of effective synchronization and timing between the defense and the offense to create solid transitions is a coaching problem more than a talent problem.

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Dumb Nuck said:

Just curious, a question for the pro-Greeners, if we miss the playoffs next year will that be enough to convince you we need a new coach?

Depends on the roster.

Are we getting any major improvements next season?

A healthy team, with Pettersson the full year, Podkolzin’s arrival, Rathbone up for the full year, continued development of the young players, and maybe a key addition or two (if there’s money) should be able to push for a playoff spot.

But how much dead salary will we be carrying?

Is Eriksson still on the books?

Beagle, Roussel, Ferland? LTIR? 

Will we still be icing a defence that requires playing Tyler Myers for 22 minutes per game?

Lots of questions.

One I don’t have is whether or not Travis Green will provide competent coaching behind the bench. 

I can’t say whether or not we’ll make the playoffs. But if we do miss, it probably won’t be because of the head coach. It’ll more likely be because of the team assembled to play the games in 2021-22, either due to roster building/cap management, or because of illnesses/injuries preventing the full team from playing.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, IRR said:

He is 100% right and you are a prime example of what he's talking about! 

I don’t like our coach, that’s not anything, everyone and everything, it’s just one thing.

One thing ≠ everything.

7 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

I don't I guess, it's just absolutely sickening to be part of anything these days with everyone just hating anything, everyone and everything Canucks. Back in the day sports were fun and we cheered for our teams win or lose no matter what, with a little occasional good natured bitching and acceptance. Now we're just a bunch of know it all crybabies crying all the time, repeating the same BS over and over again ad nauseum.

Definitely makes the GDT's and even enjoying the games difficult. Keep complaining though I'm sure one of these years FA will join CDC and listen you your innate wisdom. Without Green we'd definitely be in the playoffs right now. Guaranteed first or second seed. :sick:

100% this!!! Sooooo tired of the media and a large portion of this fan base!! It is unreal...although we are seeing it throughout society and this pandemic has def brought it to light more than it already was. Can't enjoy this forum, fb, twitter and sometimes things when out and about. A selfish, entitled, ignorant and hateful society. That said, there still are some great people out there thankfully!!! 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, IRR said:

100% this!!! Sooooo tired of the media and a large portion of this fan base!! It is unreal...although we are seeing it throughout society and this pandemic has def brought it to light more than it already was. Can't enjoy this forum, fb, twitter and sometimes things when out and about. A selfish, entitled, ignorant and hateful society. That said, there still are some great people out there thankfully!!! 

don't confuse large with vocal. We have some big whiners, puffed up by some negative media. It doesn't help that we have a lot of fans with the Canucks as their 2nd team, cuz their daddy liked the Leafs. 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Me_ said:

That’s because the Twins left.

The offensive talent we have now is not suited to the same style of PP that was beneficial to the Sedins though. 

For this PP group to be effective it needs to be far less stationary and static. Hughes can walk the line and move the puck but his shot isnt terribly effective from the point. Him being the lone guy shooting pucks from there is a major issue. This group has the speed to create scoring chances by moving. They dont have the Sedins ability to generate consistent chances off a behind the net cycle or the Sedins ability to make perfect passes through defenders onto the tape.

Our pp could and should be far more deadly than it is. Get Horvat back to the net front. Replace Pearson with Rathbone or Schmidt if EP is out. Give another shooting option at the point. Miller and Hughes like to wheel around the zone but with everyone else standing still cutting off lanes is easy.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, Dumb Nuck said:

I don’t like our coach, that’s not anything, everyone and everything, it’s just one thing.

One thing ≠ everything.

I've seen you go on about other stuff. And if you want to talk about just this...you post about it negativity over and over and over...beating a dead horse! If you don't like it / disagree with it, fine, but leave it at that. Negative posts over and over will not change anything. 

5 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

don't confuse large with vocal. We have some big whiners, puffed up by some negative media. It doesn't help that we have a lot of fans with the Canucks as their 2nd team, cuz their daddy liked the Leafs. 

That's definitely fair! But, it's just everywhere / all the time these days and it's exhausting. It's really too bad!