The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks sign Travis Green to contract extension

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

12 minutes ago, iwtl said:

No team wins the cup with only parts they draft in the salary cap age. We need a few decent UFA’s who not only want to be here but contribute.

That and while we build through the draft we need to keep that group together ( those players need to want to sign bridge deals to help the team ).

Teams in the cap age don’t get to draft high picks for 10 years and keep that group together .... as they grow it forces teams to trade some players they would rather keep but in order to afford the top stars some thought decisions are made

UFA ‘s are not just support roles and to fill holes. Maybe pre cap but not now in my opinion 

I directly stated we'd be needing trades as well as UFA's to fill holes and as support players. Reading comprehension fail.

And no, near entire teams used to be constructed via UFA, pre cap.

3 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

What do you actually expect them to say though? No chance they give anything but glowing support for guys they probably already knew were coming back.

I watched all the post COVID games, and as exhausted as that team was, they never mailed it in.  They could have gotten down because right out of the pandemic hitting the entire team, the NHL put them on the Bataan Death March of hockey, giving them no chance to catch up to 4th place.  Instead, they went out and beat Toronto twice, and played hard the rest of the way.  They were minus their most explosive player, and pretty much the entire bottom six, and Greener was playing mix and match with the bottom six to give guys a chance to audition for next year, and still they worked their tails off.  To me, that's a team that likes the coach, and plays hard for him.  The results weren't always great, but the effort was pretty much always there, in spite of having to play five games in seven nights near the end.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

I don't understand people not being happy about Green coming back. We were one game away from the 3rd round of the Stanley Cup Playoffs with a mediocre team. Even this year, with injuries and COVID, I was shook with how well this team played. Expected them to be much much worse. Given a good team, I think Green can do very well. I think the main issue was the assistants if anything, Baumer needs to go. Oh, and Benning..:sadno:

• Like 2
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I dont want to hear from the owner.

I'd rather him not address the media or tweet or anything. Well, no more than that he is supporting the team.

I don't see him as a hockey mind so why ask him to talk?

I actually have been pretty close with that fam. I have a friend that dated Alana ( AQ daughter) for years. I also was a corporate alc buyer so I met with Barry, Samantha and a few of the reps for the Aqua wines and RTD products like Jawdrop. I got to sit at the Owners table for games a few times. Amazing, eating great food while high above the team playing. 

The stories I have heard is that the whole fam loves the Nucks, discuss them a lot,  and are proud owners. They hire, as any company would, the best people they can to run the show for them.

Let the hockey pros do the talking. 

The owner needs to stay in the background and let the hockey people run the show.  They're the ones who are responsible for the on-ice product.  Why should Aqua have to answer questions about why they kept JB and TG?  He did it, that's a fact, they have his confidence, what more do you need?

• Thanks 1

This really just ruined my whole day. I was okay with Benning staying for his last year, but was against Green coming back next year. I really really really hope this rumor is false, because this team has played flat out dead to start way too many games under Green and it still was happening this year. I'm tired of seeing that crap, I'm tried of this system relying on the goalie to bail you out every game and be outshot 75% of the time, what's going to change next year? Nothing just the same crap over and over again tired of this system over working your goalie to wait for the other team to make a mistake, be more defensive, block more shots than the other team, the other team is already outshooting you, and you still have more blocked shots then them, just ridiculous garbage system that needs to be gone.

Edited by ChuckNORRIS4Cup

3 hours ago, IBatch said:

Sorry for your loss. 

No loss for me.

Personally  I think it’s funny the teams been a bottom feeder and there’s no changes and people think the results will be different.

Our  pacific  division rivals  are extremely happy with the news from Canuck land over the past two days. 

Just now, canuckleheads fan said:

I watched all the post COVID games, and as exhausted as that team was, they never mailed it in.  They could have gotten down because right out of the pandemic hitting the entire team, the NHL put them on the Bataan Death March of hockey, giving them no chance to catch up to 4th place.  Instead, they went out and beat Toronto twice, and played hard the rest of the way.  They were minus their most explosive player, and pretty much the entire bottom six, and Greener was playing mix and match with the bottom six to give guys a chance to audition for next year, and still they worked their tails off.  To me, that's a team that likes the coach, and plays hard for him.  The results weren't always great, but the effort was pretty much always there, in spite of having to play five games in seven nights near the end.

Working hard playing terrible systems doesnt make the team better. And honestly, I have not seen a ton of games in Bennings era where the effort was consistent throughout the game. 

Its a dump and chase, passive D team. Go back and pick a random game from this season and watch it. I would guarantee the forecheck will be spotty at best and the D will be static and allow a ton of shots against.

Its about playing the right way and actually doing something with that work.

I am so sick of excuses after excuses. Every year its a different set of excuses why they underachieved. Its the number one factor in the losing mentality this team has. Making excuses instead of making changes.

Winning culture means accountability. This team, from the top down, exhibits very little. 

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Dumb Nuck said:

Well, I think most the NHL is happy because we are and will continue to be a fun team to play against.

O M G

Another year of you and goofball2288.

Can't wait. :picard:

B)

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I directly stated we'd be needing trades as well as UFA's to fill holes and as support players. Reading comprehension fail.

And no, near entire teams used to be constructed via UFA, pre cap.

Reading comprehension fail? Get off your high horse lol. Debating and discussing an issue is one thing .... you want to piss on someone replying to your quote attest let them know your not interested in discussing 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, combover said:

No loss for me.

Personally  I think it’s funny the teams been a bottom feeder and there’s no changes and people think the results will be different.

Our  pacific  division rivals  are extremely happy with the news from Canuck land over the past two days. 

KKKKKKKKKKKKRAKEN.

BURN.

BYE.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Schmautzie said:

Especially in the playoffs. Myers and Edler both stepped up last playoffs in the toughness department and we’ll need someone to fill that role moving forward.

Players like Josh Manson or Jamie Oleksiak would be a good fit.

Manson more so than Oleksiak. 

• Cheers 1

39 minutes ago, Wayne Glensky said:

Aquilini hiding again. It’s comical. I wish he would face the media. 

What are you going on about. Which NHL owners are you comparing him to that are holding press conference and "facing the media". They are the money behind the scene, it's not their job to do that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Working hard playing terrible systems doesnt make the team better. And honestly, I have not seen a ton of games in Bennings era where the effort was consistent throughout the game. 

Its a dump and chase, passive D team. Go back and pick a random game from this season and watch it. I would guarantee the forecheck will be spotty at best and the D will be static and allow a ton of shots against.

Its about playing the right way and actually doing something with that work.

I am so sick of excuses after excuses. Every year its a different set of excuses why they underachieved. Its the number one factor in the losing mentality this team has. Making excuses instead of making changes.

Winning culture means accountability. This team, from the top down, exhibits very little. 

Last year's bubble team was a dump and chase team too.  It's because when teams stand up at the blue line your only option is to dump and chase.  Otherwise you turn the puck over at your blueline, and it becomes an odd man rushing going the other way.  It was reported that Miller convinced Petey that dump and chase was the best way to make zone entry.  They work hard, recover the puck, as Miller often does, and gain zone time.  Now that we have several defensemen who are deadly zone exit passers, Hughes, Rathbone, and most of all OJ, maybe we'll see more transition offense, but when the team is forced to chip the puck out and recover in the neutral zone, all that's usually left is to dump and chase.  It's pretty much what every team in the league does.  That's why puck retrievers like Hogs, and hopefully Pods, Gadj and Lind, are in such high demand.

• Cheers 2

16 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I dont want to hear from the owner.

I'd rather him not address the media or tweet or anything. Well, no more than that he is supporting the team.

I don't see him as a hockey mind so why ask him to talk?

I actually have been pretty close with that fam. I have a friend that dated Alana ( AQ daughter) for years. I also was a corporate alc buyer so I met with Barry, Samantha and a few of the reps for the Aqua wines and RTD products like Jawdrop. I got to sit at the Owners table for games a few times. Amazing, eating great food while high above the team playing. 

The stories I have heard is that the whole fam loves the Nucks, discuss them a lot,  and are proud owners. They hire, as any company would, the best people they can to run the show for them.

Let the hockey pros do the talking. 

Well said, I think people that blame the Aquilini's are the same people that bitch nonstop about the team and make crap up to justify their hatred, smugness, and  insecurity issues. Like, as if anyone really knows what is going on there. Just see through people trying to feel important.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Me_ said:

That’s because the Twins left.

This is a great point, the entire first unit PP used to revolve around the Twins, they were their own PP coaches.  When they left, Brown had to rebuild PP1 from scratch.  I saw an earlier post that showed that since he took over as special teams coach the Canucks have actually been very good, eight best in goals, out of 12th best in chances, and about 14th best in percentage.  That's deserving of a new contract.

• Vintage 1