The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

With the Leafs loss to the Habs, guys like Rick Dhaliwal,Thomas Drance, JD Burke, 650 Sportsnet, and HF Canucks have received VERY huge blows

Rate this topic

Patel Bure

1 hour ago, Dazzle said:

Very good points. Colorado specifically had up and down (mostly down years), in which they accumulated players like Landeskog, Jost, and Makar. It also didn't hurt that they had Duschene (and got a very good return for him).

This greatly helped Colorado with their rebuild/retool. But this context helps us understand that things like these take time. Buffalo/Edmonton, as you have correctly pointed out, have spent AT LEAST 7 years trying to rebuild/retool.

There really isn't a 'right' way to do it.

The thing is - Leafs homers are using teams like Tampa and Colorado to assuage their terror.

However, Colorad kept adding to their talent pool - considerable additions.....

Tampa - had a remarkably deeper group when they had their one sweep, outlier exit.  And Tampa has continuously produced talent from within, as well as making some crafty moves...

The Leafs....have 4 forwards making 40+ million.

They've spent futures like teenagers spend their allowance.

Where is this incoming talent for the Leafs?   Sandin?  Liljegren?  Nick Robertson?

I'm sorry - but what about the Leafs trajectory spells a team like the TBL or Avalanche?  Dream on.

The Leafs have spent multiple 1sts, multiple 2nds, handfuls of picks - on rentals, and dumping Marleaus....

Even with the Archipelago Robidas, they are still hamstrung.

Wadr to the Leafs - the Avalanche have this guy named Joe Sakic building their team....The TBL had Steve Yzerman....

If the Leafs stay their course they have a better chance of becoming the Deadmonton Oilers.

Edited by oldnews
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

18 hours ago, Alain Vigneault said:

Anyways, the Leafs have it right.   The execution is off but their philosophy is bang on.  Much like Carolina, Tampa Bay, Colorado - all similar teams - the Leafs believe in the same principles.

We should follow suit.

How Alain Vigneault feels now after the Canucks fired him on Make a GIF

• Haha 2

19 hours ago, Tom Sestito said:

Which mental gymnastics? I said the leafs failed to meet the expectations they set and pointed out numerous flaws that no one here would disagree with. 

They failed in execution. 

So uh, what's the mental gymnastics here?

I think the issue people had with your post is you seemed to imply that what the Leafs did was good “in theory.”

The problem with theory is that it’s just that........theory.

-“In theory,” if my aunt had nuts she’d be my uncle.

-“in theory,” Mogilny and Bure should have been the most dynamic duo in NHL history

-“in theory”, Messer should have been our missing piece.

-”in theory,” Gudbranson was supposed to be the heir apparent to Tanev which would have allowed us to trade Tanev for a 1st with Gudbranson helping to hold down the fort.

-“in theory,” the presence of Sutter was supposed to take massive defensive pressure off of both BoHo and Henrik so that they could get more offensive zone starts while Sutter took on the defensive match ups while also being a “2B” center that prevent Horvat from being overburdened as the de facto 2nd line C.

”in theory” Eriksson was supposed to do what Vrbata did for us and help us make the playoffs while allowing our kids in the system to get some valuable playoff experience.

Theory, like communism, is always wonderful and beautiful, but doesn’t always translate into reality.

At the end of the day, results are the only thing that matter.   “In theory”, the Leafs probably should have won a number of playoff rounds since 2004 but they haven’t.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Would hate to see a scooter-riding, grizzled Alien racing away from an enraged Grizzly. But then I just recently watched The Revenant!

A scooter riding, cast wearing alien, Vancouver fashionista, he ain't grizzled in the least.

Five feet away from a grizzly, Dumb Nuck...I guess...but you're in a car man...really?

Was the bison in a stall being milked?

Edited by Cat Man

Just now, Cat Man said:

A scooter riding, cast wearing, Vancouver fashionista, he ain't grizzled in the least.

Five feet away from a grizzly Dumb Nuck...I guess...but you're in a car man...really?

Was the bison in a stall being milked?

I'm not sure I follow completely. Have mostly avoided cars, & for 2 decades have been riding 2 wheels in Asia. Peace

42 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

I'm not sure I follow completely. Have mostly avoided cars, & for 2 decades have been riding 2 wheels in Asia. Peace

The definition of grizzled doesn't apply to Petey.

The grizzly/bison comment was for DN who took photos

from a car on the side of the road and then told us that they were "five feet away from a grizzly and bison."

Edited by Cat Man
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Understand...too often I get curt.

Was going to ride 2 wheels in Asia till we landed in Penang way back 

and found myself overwhelmed by the "traffic chaos".

A close friend who went all over told me you have to drive like your

hair's on fire like everyone else. I've others who are still recovering from 

scooter accidents.

Keep the rubber side down...peace out.

Go Jets.

Edited by Cat Man

I think the Leafs did do some things that were right. What most of us tankers or what ever you wanted to call us , wanted was the accumulating of assets. Now they didn't do it aggressively like we wanted but they have managed to build a nice talent base. Would we be farther ahead if done more aggressively,  we have debated that to death.

The key for me is to keep doing this. Trading any of our first three picks should forbidden.  You should keep drafting and developing and eventually your minor league team will be as deep as your NHL club.  This is how you build an organization that will compete year after year. You don't just build a good team and automatically win the cup. You need to build an organization that can be there year after year.

I like Miller but I don't like how they acquired him.  I want the Canucks to be the team that is so deep they are able to move out a player like Miller for picks. Then fill his spot from the farm.

It will take a while to get there but once a team dose it is sustainable. 

As long as they draft and develop at a high level.  So far so good.

Edited by appleboy

Interesting first minute of this video (ignore the rest, it's just a bunch of crying over why the Leafs can't win)

No team with a player that has a cap hit in the double digits has won a playoff round (during the cap era) until Carey Price did it last night.

Really hope both Benning and Hughes/Pettersson keep this in mind when they're negotiating contracts. 

Full Athletic article here, if you have a subscription: https://theathletic.com/2527295/2021/04/19/lebrun-can-an-nhl-team-with-high-priced-stars-win-in-the-playoffs/

Edited by KoreanHockeyFan
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Cat Man said:

The definition of grizzled doesn't apply to Petey.

The grizzly/bison comment was for DN who took photos

from a car on the side of the road and then told us that they were "five feet away from a grizzly and bison."

I beg to differ

32076550-1709-4933-9D91-00D6A6279708.jpeg

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

Interesting first minute of this video (ignore the rest, it's just a bunch of crying over why the Leafs can't win)

No team with a player that has a cap hit in the double digits has won a playoff round (during the cap era) until Carey Price did it last night.

Really hope both Benning and Hughes/Pettersson keep this in mind when they're negotiating contracts. 

Full Athletic article here, if you have a subscription: https://theathletic.com/2527295/2021/04/19/lebrun-can-an-nhl-team-with-high-priced-stars-win-in-the-playoffs/

Toronto might be stuck with Marner unfortunately.   In a flap cap era, who is going to take on a 10 million dollar cap hit for a WINGER?

2 hours ago, Patel Bure said:

Toronto might be stuck with Marner unfortunately.   In a flap cap era, who is going to take on a 10 million dollar cap hit for a WINGER?

Plays the pk, pp, top line winger that flat out drives the play. Hate the leafs but would take Marner on this team anyday.

9 hours ago, BigTramFan said:

I’m no JB fan boy. I have already said my piece about JB signing Virtanen over Toffoli. Dumb move imo. Said it and moved on.

Seems like you are still trying to deal with it. Take your own advice:

If insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results 

Maybe let it go and breathe, you might feel better.

Well after reading your suggestion I thought to myself.......hmmm, what could help me get over this????      So I got in the 'ol pick-up and drove down to the Main Liquor store on Cambie and found a Heavy-Duty bottle of industrial Tequila  (complete with skeletons on the bottle and a draft will) and will try to flush the JB/Toffoli anger out of my system this weekend - with moderation - of course.   See if that works..............

So, who is this "moderation" I'm supposed to be drinking with?? - tequila  cat - quickmeme

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1