The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

So - Who Should The Canucks Take At The Number 9 Spot?

Rate this topic

Patel Bure

9 minutes ago, runtzguy said:

Matthew Coronato hands down is my pick. He reminds me of Nick Suzuki and stick handles like Nathan Mackinnon. Plus he also has a work man like attitude and aggressiveness like Brendan Gallagar.

I see a lot of Brayden Point in Coronato.  When Point was drafted, his skating and size were the red flags.  Same for this guy.  

12 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Why?  Some say he’s got the most skill in the draft.  Very high ceiling.  

Cause when I watch him. I don't see high hockey IQ. Actually very low hockey IQ in fact. Kent Johnson does a lot of pretty dangles. But he does this almost every single time and is probably successful 4/10 times when he could just make the simple plays like passing to his team or dumping it. 

Also he does not go to the dirty areas and his shot is pretty weak and passing is average at best. 

This kid reminds me of Nail Yakupov where I also said do not draft where I see all flash but no real skill.

I don't believe Kent Johnson will make it to the NHL.

Edited by runtzguy
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Hearing the Canucks may be targeting a Russian to play on Podkolzin's line.

Could it be Evgeny Kuznetsov?

EDIT - Probably not Kuz, as he makes almost $8, but who?

I believe JB was quoted as saying he would like another Russian on the team and not necessarily on Podkolzin’s line. If so then Nikita Zadorov is a guy I would like him to target in a trade with Chicago. A huge mobile defenceman who loves to hit and is great on the PK. I wonder if the Blackhawks would take Schmidt for him even-up?

• Like 3
  • Vintage 1

Just now, Schmautzie said:

I believe JB was quoted as saying he would like another Russian on the team and not necessarily on Podkolzin’s line. If so then Nikita Zadorov is a guy I would like him to target in a trade with Chicago. A huge mobile defenceman who loves to hit and is great on the PK. I wonder if the Blackhawks would take Schmidt for him even-up?

I like Zadorov too, but isn’t he a left shot guy?  Plus, Pods has been studying English for several years, and is comfortable carrying on a conversation now.  His English is actually pretty good.  

3 minutes ago, Schmautzie said:

Maybe they can snag his linemate Marchenko away from Columbus.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jester13 said:

Very good points. Lysell, to me, looks and plays small out there. Scouch said something along the lines that he may be putting in lots of extra effort just to garner more ice time, which I like as a mentality, but it concerns me. He's just such a wildcard. McT is definitely more physically mature, but I could see him being a Getzlaf-type of player. I'd be stoked to have him drop to us, but I don't see that happening. I dunno, my eye test - in, granted, a small sample size of scouching reports and other youtube videos - sees Coronato with such a great head and hustle for the game at both ends of the ice, as both a scorer and a playmaker, and still with room to grow physically. And I think he'll be there at #9. For those who haven't seen this:

I'd recommend watching this shift by shift on Coronato: 

Analytically his stats seem to play well but I fear a lot of his pros are due to the competition he is against. He's definitely got a knack for stripping the puck along the walls but many of his board battles are by effective stick lifts, something that doesn't translate super well to the NHL level because sticks are just so much heavier at that level. His decision making skills don't seem super quick, is a bit floaty when it comes to the defensive backcheck (although his offensive positioning away from the puck seems to have pretty good awareness in getting to the holes and presenting to the man with the puck which I really really like), and he tends to like to use his body to protect the puck around the blue line a lot which I think is super dangerous at the NHL level unless you're elite at it. In this game he tends to rush the play into the defense quite a bit (gets blown up for it in the 2nd period on a penalty kill and later on in the 3rd period). Overall didn't see much that would define him more than a 3rd liner in this game but I'm envisioning this isn't one of his stronger games either. 

I think against this level of competition I'd like to see him control the game a bit better but like I said it's a small sample size. 

3 hours ago, Jester13 said:

Do you like another Hoglander at #9 or another Bo, which is who I see Coronato's ceiling as. Don't get me wrong, I'd love another Hogs, but not as a top 10 pick. Snag another such player in the 2nd round and beyond. 

I'd actually prefer Hogs over Bo. If it was retro Bo then I'd go with that all day, but last 2 years Bo I'd easily take Hoglander. Hoglander still has upside and I think he will end up getting close to Bo level of points but with his tenacity I'll take that any day. There is value with the center position, however, but I tend to not put too much stock on that as some others. The difference between a 2A guy and a 2B guy is pretty nominal to me personally so at that point I prefer intangibles. I love puck hounds and Bo used to be that guy but I think he plays a much more passive game defensively and offensively these days. Hoglander controls the line as where Bo can control the line but doesn't do it nearly as often. 

That's why I'm so excited to see what Podkolzin can bring. I don't expect huge output from the beginning but if he can find it he will be a fantastic hockey player. Even guys like a prime Yannick Hansen bring extreme value to a team and can turn a team from mediocre to good. You get multiple players like that and your team goes from being easy to play against to a world of problems to battle it out against and it takes a consistent team to beat those types of teams in the playoffs. 

I really miss Bo from his younger years where he'd drive the puck to the net and carry the team on his back because we literally had nobody else. He was snake bitten back then and didn't put up as many points but he played the right way. Just hit a massive amount of posts that one year he was blowing by people. Now if we see vintage Horvat (ala the St. Louis playoff series) then I get super excited about Bo but he just doesn't bring that version of himself as much anymore. Dunno if that's a minutes thing or just being a safe defensive player thing. But last year if I had a pick between taking Hoglander or Bo for my team, I'd take Hoglander every time. Just the way I prefer my hockey players and team to play. 

1 hour ago, runtzguy said:

Kent Johnson should be on the no-draft list

I challenge you to watch a shift by shift from him rather than a Scouching report. He's not nearly as scary a player when you watch his whole game as opposed to his best and worst clips. The kid is still a good prospect. 

• Like 1

Leave the D for Round 2, they should select a forward with the #9. A player that can join the team in a year or two, who will compliment the core VAN already has.

Grit and Scoring

Horvat

Podkolzin

Boeser

Skill and Playmaking

Pettersson

Hoglander

??

Eklund, Lysell, Johnson, Sillinger ? 

4 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Some talk about Benning wanting to bring in another Russian player for Podkolzin. I suppose this would also really benefit having them on the team when Svechkov arrives too? 

Benning himself said that today on sportsnet so sign Gusev for 2 years as a UFA, draft svechkov and all of a sudden boom a russian 3rd line lol 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, runtzguy said:

Matthew Coronato hands down is my pick. He reminds me of Nick Suzuki and stick handles like Nathan Mackinnon. Plus he also has a work man like attitude and aggressiveness like Brendan Gallagar.

Move over, McDavid! 

If this kid ends up being a 1st line player my mind will be blown. He's got a long ways to go to be an offensive threat in my opinion at the nhl level. 

3 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Maybe they can snag his linemate Marchenko away from Columbus.

Potentially this could be a fantastic deal due to real chemistry between these two players, regardless of the current Canucks situation. Marchenko plays centre and has another year in his 3-year contract with SKA.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Stierlitz said:

Potentially this could be a fantastic deal due to real chemistry between these two players, regardless of the current Canucks situation. Marchenko plays centre and has another year in his 3-year contract with SKA.

And draft Svechkov!  :frantic:

• Cheers 2

7 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Leave the D for Round 2, they should select a forward with the #9. A player that can join the team in a year or two, who will compliment the core VAN already has.

Grit and Scoring

Horvat

Podkolzin

Boeser

Skill and Playmaking

Pettersson

Hoglander

??

Eklund, Lysell, Johnson, Sillinger ? 

Grit and Boeser?  Prob the weakest grit player ive ever seen.

Hogz has more grit.

• Cheers 1