The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

So - Who Should The Canucks Take At The Number 9 Spot?

Rate this topic

Patel Bure

17 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I really like Dumba.  He might be the perfect partner for Hughes.  But I don’t think the Wild will want OJ because he requires ED protection.  So likely the 9OA would be more than enough.  I’d think even our second might be enough.

Our 2021 second rounder for Dumba.  No mas.  

I actually edited my post and changed Juolevi to Schmidt - which might actually make more sense... Minnesota wants to be competitive (which Schmidt allows them to do more than Juolevi), and he's a Minnesota boy. We also move out some cap. We bring in a top-4 right handed D and we add the kind of player to our top-9 that's near impossible to find.

Would be a creative and bold move. 

3 minutes ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

I actually edited my post and changed Juolevi to Schmidt - which might actually make more sense... Minnesota wants to be competitive (which Schmidt allows them to do more than Juolevi), and he's a Minnesota boy. We also move out some cap. We bring in a top-4 right handed D and we add the kind of player to our top-9 that's near impossible to find.

Keep Schmidt (move him to left side)  sign Hamonic, and add Dumba.  Then our right side D is really good, and so is our left.  

• Vintage 1

9 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Keep Schmidt (move him to left side)  sign Hamonic, and add Dumba.  Then our right side D is really good, and so is our left.  

The first thing I always think of is how would the trade partner see the deal and what's in it for them. I don't think many managers give a flying you no what about where a player comes from  the thing that will cement their future is winning a SC, with who ever. Many locally rank Juolevi highly, I don't. He's the imperfect defenseman. If you want to trade him  your self what pick would you get in return for him and I have serious doubts many teams would offer up a 1st round pick. I'd certainly like to put him in a trade bundle but he'd be the filler piece IMO

Edited by Fred65

35 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I really like Dumba.  He might be the perfect partner for Hughes.  But I don’t think the Wild will want OJ because he requires ED protection.  So likely the 9OA would be more than enough.  I’d think even our second might be enough.

Our 2021 second rounder for Dumba.  No mas.  

22 minutes ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

We have zero need for Dumba. We have a younger, better, less injured Hughes AND Rathbone to play that role.

What we need is a (younger) 'Suter' to play with Hughes.

I also highly doubt Minnesota has any desire to move Greenway.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, aGENT said:

We have zero need for Dumba. We have a younger, better, less injured Hughes AND Rathbone to play that role.

What we need is a (younger) 'Suter' to play with Hughes.

I also highly doubt Minnesota has any desire to move Greenway.

More just food for thought on my part if anything... Minni is also one of the teams that's slotted to lose a very good player to Seattle if they don't make a move of some kind. 

Hoglander - Pettersson - Boeser

Greenway - Horvat - Podkolzin

Pearson - Miller - FA

Highmore - Sutter - Lind

Hughes - Dumba

Edler - Myers

Rathbone - Hamonic

Go after a big fish in free agency next summer (Parayko, Klingberg, etc.)

I don't know. At least I'm not the GM. :lol:

1 hour ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

Schmidt + 9th OA for Greenway and Dumba? Just spitballing here... :rolleyes:

bit rich for my blood, don't think Dumba is the ideal RHD we should be willing to move Schmidt & 9th overall. Would have to be someone younger with a bit more size like Cernak in TB. Or we go after a cheaper option if someone like Cernak is protected or off the table then maybe we try to scoop up Cal Foote for a cheaper price since he will be exposed and TB likely won't want to lose him for nothing so maybe he can be had for a meddling prospect or mid round pick

52 minutes ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

Schmidt for Dumba by it self might be something that happens, maybe Minny protects 4 D then that way? Very good proposal and in depth info in regards to Schmidt being from Minny for example.

Would love Greenway, but would hate to give up the 9th overall as part of the deal. I might be more okay with it if we could send out some additional salary but don't think Minny has a ton of cap space to take overpaid players from us and be competitive while they have a contract like Parise themselves that they would like to move probably. I could see Minny maybe try and engage trade talks with NYI again about a possible Parise for Ladd deal that was rumoured to have been talked about before...albeit with a different GM in Minnesota at the time 

1 hour ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

More just food for thought on my part if anything... Minni is also one of the teams that's slotted to lose a very good player to Seattle if they don't make a move of some kind. 

Pearson - Miller - FA

Highmore - Sutter - Lind

Hughes - Dumba

Edler - Myers

Rathbone - Hamonic

Still no on Dumba. Just don't need him.

I am certainly open to spending some of our opening cap in that '22 offseason though. Add Parayko (or Risto, Pulock, Lindholm etc) and Jenner... Yes please.

• Cheers 2

A week or so ago, I was VERY high on Kent Johnson.  

Although I still am, I am now also of the belief that Johnson will need some coaching at the NHL level to improve his decision making ability.   In many ways, he’s like a guy that has all the tools in his toolbox, but doesn’t quite know what to do with them.

My opinion of Mason McTavish has also increased.   

The guy who I’ve REALLY come around on however is Dylan Guenther.    This guy is going to be a really good hockey player.   

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Patel Bure said:

Although I still am, I am now also of the belief that Johnson will need some coaching at the NHL level to improve his decision making ability.   In many ways, he’s like a guy that has all the tools in his toolbox, but doesn’t quite know what to do with them.

The guy who I’ve REALLY come around on however is Dylan Guenther.    This guy is going to be a really good hockey player.   

I'm fairly high on these 3 as well. Cam Robinson got me on the McTavish train but now I worry he will be this years Barrett Hayton. I'm worried he might not fall to 9 now as many see him as the #2 center in the draft after Beniers.

For that reason I started looking at Kent Johnson a lot more, there is certainly a lot more risk associated with that pick in terms of a boom or bust prospect but I think he would fit well with the high end skill we have already.

Guenther is another one I don't really see falling to us but I would be doing a happy dance if he does. 

Honestly I have a list of probably 11 names that I like quite a bit and would be happy if we came away with them. Hoping we stay at 9 and go with whichever name falls to us. I'm highest on Clarke and Eklund but again I don't see them falling to us.

• Cheers 2

7 hours ago, IBatch said:

He's fugly.   Looks like a crazed Slapshot character - totally love that upside.   THN comp is .... wait for it... TT but as a C.  

Basically another Horvat but two inches taller and a lot uglier.    In other words - perfect. 

hahaha thanks for that :P

58 minutes ago, Patel Bure said:

Well one of those three are going to be available at number 9. If they're all gone, then that only means the other players will be available - Clarke, Hughes, Eklund - I mean that's three names that I think will be off the board by the time the Canucks pick. 

I can see Guenther being available at 9. If he falls below that, boy some team is going to be &^@#ing lucky. 

With that being said. I don't know anything about Guenther. lol 

2 hours ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

Pearson - Miller - FA

Highmore - Sutter - Lind

Hughes - Dumba

Edler - Myers

Rathbone - Hamonic

I don't see Hoglander being on the first line. 

This is what I see: 

Miller - Pettersson - Boeser 

Hoglander - Horvat - Podkolzin (eventually)

Pearson - ________ - Motte or FA 

Highmore - ________ - Motte or FA 

Hughes - Hamonic 

Edler - Myers 

Rathbone - Juolevi or FA 

Maybe try to sign someone like some here have suggested Wennberg or Haula as third line centreman for decent deals (pls don't overpay, Jim). I see Edler coming back, but man that defense looks a lot like this season, and they didn't do so well. I'm not sure what's going to change if the personnel isn't changing. More of the same, imo. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, oldnews said:

not a move I'd make.

Thing about Dumba - he plays with Brodin (the better defensive blueliner on that pairing) - and he's an 'undersized' D at 182lbs....

not a fan of the idea of pairing a Dumba with Hughes - don't think that translates well enough to spend those kind of assets - and not a fan of making any big ticket blueline acquisition that is not first and foremost about the right complementary partner for Hughes....

this plan would essentially leave us with the distinct possibility that Hamonic, is once again Hughes' partner. 

I think we need to gameplan around that better - and if not, retain our futures and not overspend on this particular coming season....

Agree on Dumba, IMO we should go after Adam Larsson to play with QH if we can get reasonable term and cap hit (4 x 5.5 or so). We'd still need to move Schmidt to make that work, which is fine by me as I don't really think he's a great fit here, at least not with current deployment. I also belive he can be replaced over time by OJ and Rathbone. Maybe there could also be other trades to be made as part of the expansion draft, but not sure who the target would be. A physical RD that has the hockey IQ to excel with QH is not that easy to find.

Or maybe a defensive minded physical partner is not what QH needs? A bit surprised that Schmidt hasn't been given more of a chance with QH. Not saying it would work, but it could work. Not all D pairings need to be physical. Still remember 97 when Lidstrom and Murphy matched up against legion of doom. Seemed like a strange concept at first, but it was a brilliant move by Bowman as the puck just never stayed long enough in the D zone or on the sticks of Lindros etc. for them to create anything.

A player I'd really want from Minny though is Joel Eriksson Ek who's RFA and a perfect 3C for us.

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

Benning didn't have interest in Dumba last off-season per Russo.  Probably realises that it's an ill fit.  In Minnesota he gets to play with Brodin who is elite defensively and can cover for him. 

Not sure to see the benefit for Minnesota. That makes them older on D without helping their cap space and replaces a RD by a LD which is not as good of a fit + losing Greenway doesn't help them either as it breaks up their so effective shutdown line.  

The Wild have no real reason to trade Greenway.  They wouldn't even have 7 forwards to protect for expansion if they trade him.  

Cap is tight and moving Dumba would help their cap but not if they replace him with another 6M D.  Schmidt is also older and doesn't fit in as well.  Guerin told Dumba he doesn't want to lose him in expansion or in a trade, but he's their 4th D.  Guerin says he'll talk to Francis but I doubt they'll make the same mistake as last time.

Being just competitive actually cost Fletcher his job.  Ownership explained that they don't just want to make the playoffs but bring Cups back.  Guerin's mandate is to build a team that can compete with the elite teams in the league.  Adding a soon to be 30 year old D at 6M for another 4 years is probably not part of it.  Guerin in his end of season review was just talking of how they are still building.  

Edited by mll