The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen update

Rate this topic

Bertuzzipunch

3 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

If we don't trade him or don't release him, we should send him down to Abby. Close to home, let him get his head straight and for him to just be willing to be coached and keep learning. Be good to spend a year away from the pressures of pro hockey. And keep the press hounds away from him. Too many factors to weigh in concretely here. 

trade is the best option.  I take the Danton Hienen proposal right about now.  I don't think the owners want to pay out Virtanen just to do nothing when we can pay him to play and it is a contract year, so we know Jake will play for a payout next summer.    I know he licked balls but man what horrible timing. 

2 hours ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

trade is the best option.  I take the Danton Hienen proposal right about now.  I don't think the owners want to pay out Virtanen just to do nothing when we can pay him to play and it is a contract year, so we know Jake will play for a payout next summer.    I know he licked balls but man what horrible timing. 

I think everyone is waiting for the court case to settle. 

i feel like alot if people  jump on anything jake does and judge him he seems like a good kid  hell even sedins dumped on him for hitting a guy and getting suspended   like threw him under the bus  we need jake hitting people on this team we are soft as 3ply.   i m waiting to see what comes out in next few weeks but to me it seems like a money grab by this girl  hopefully im right  but in all reality no one else has come forth with other allegations so its a isolated incident.   Perhaps for jake we ship him to sanjose or florida  give him a fresh start

• RoughGame 1

On 6/9/2021 at 7:46 PM, erkayloomeh said:

Yep.

But this could also be a big wake up call for Jake as I think he needs to grow up. 

^This is what it boils down to 100%.

Maturity &/or professionalism, are qualities that solid NHL players, like Bo Horvat or Leon Draisatl for instance, have been able to demonstrate in spades, since entering the league on day 1.

Even a hometown hockey-player like former-Canuck Troy Stecher was able to prove his quality of character, intelligence, & commitment to professional work-habits early on as a prominent leader on the Penticton Vees & as a championship player for the University of North Dakota. He continues to progress & impress still (Team-Canada selected, given an “A”).

‘Good’ scouts should be making a  special note of a player’s early maturity/professionalism, as these X-factors are frequently needed to dodge pitfalls & achieve NHL success. It’s that demonstrated  willingness to continually sacrifice, at a high level, in order to become the best player & teammate that one can possibly be.

Jake’s reported actions during  practice & through some local anecdotal news, reveals an inattentiveness to the details, definite irresponsibility & goofing-off. 

Canuck fans have seen enough. Jake could also be succumbing to an enabling possee eager to help him spend money & prevent him from growing up. Call it the ‘Tyler Seguin’ effect while in Boston, something that Benning should know plenty about. 

IF Jake departs this marketplace, it may be much easier for him to re-focus & then re-invent himself, ultimately resurrecting his career. I vote for JB to make it so. 

Edited by viking mama
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, canuktravella said:

i feel like alot if people  jump on anything jake does and judge him he seems like a good kid

apparently a lot of people that either went to school with him, interacted with him associated with him, or even knew another player who encountered him said he is a grade a Duchebag apparently.  Cocky arrogant and so for.  A comment that said he shouldn't even be in the NHL had like 200 upvotes.  

Now these are people that encountered him, they could be bull $&!#, maybe not.  

6 hours ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

I personally think the girl is an opportunist…..

LOL.

What?! Jake is the ultimate opportunist in this situation! 

Sure, he’s got more to risk & lose,  but, he’s simply not choosing to do things more safely or responsibly like the majority of us would. 

It comes down to a lack of smarts, maturity & impulse control. Plain & simple. 

Edited by viking mama
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Patel Bure said:

Good points, but I’m talking about the 19-20 season where he netted 18 goals and 18 assists in 69 games.   He produced that primarily in a 3rd line role with almost zero power play time.   That’s pretty good if you ask me.   His game became garbage in the bubble and beyond, and my hypothesis is that he has struggled with the restriction introversion that comes with the Covid lifestyle.   Not all of us have the mental toughness of a Bo Horvat or a Michael Jordan.   Some guys are more reliant on a social life outside of hockey in order to actually perform better inside the rink?  Why?  Because - they are happier.  

Why is this narrative still there?  He was the point man for the PP that whole season on the 2nd unit with Myers as the D for the most part.

1 hour ago, viking mama said:

Sure, he’s got more to risk & lose,  but, he’s simply not choosing to do things more safely or responsibly like the majority of us would. 

If it's a one night thing I think it's pretty obvious at least I would think the girls know what my intentions are for me to ask her to come to my hotel room or "my place". Or even lets get out of here means lets go back to my place and have sex. Like cmon.  

47 minutes ago, Russ said:

Why is this narrative still there?  He was the point man for the PP that whole season on the 2nd unit with Myers as the D for the most part.

I’m not talking about 20-21.....I was talking about the 19-20 season pre-Covid.  My argument being that Jake’s game, in a “restrictive” Covid world outside the rink, has had a huge negative mental impact on him.   Covid fatigue is a thing and affects people in different ways.  

I’d be interested to see how Jake performs in a post Covid normalized world.  If he continues to struggle, becomes a UFA at the end of the season anyways.....and we can mutually part ways.

1 hour ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

If it's a one night thing I think it's pretty obvious at least I would think the girls know what my intentions are for me to ask her to come to my hotel room or "my place". Or even lets get out of here means lets go back to my place and have sex. Like cmon.  

irrelevant.

• Like 1

So I guess if you walk into the wrong leather bar and get groped, you only have yourself to blame. 

• Haha 3

10 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

If we don't trade him or don't release him, we should send him down to Abby. Close to home, let him get his head straight and for him to just be willing to be coached and keep learning. Be good to spend a year away from the pressures of pro hockey. And keep the press hounds away from him. Too many factors to weigh in concretely here. 

What has he done to earn that opportunity?   
Showing up out of shape? 
putting in minimal efforts?
Constantly putting himself in situations to look bad?  
Potentially raping a woman? 

Everything he has done on and off the ice has earned him a ticket to Russia. 

The Canucks don’t need to put another dollar or minute into this kid.   He’s not worth it. 
Lost cause.  Totally done. 

• Like 1

While I agree with part of this, it’s beyond the point.  

Yes, she was obviously aware of the implications of what going to his hotel room meant.     What the hell did she think they were going to be doing?   Playing scrabble?  
Having said that,

The second she says No or Stop....... it’s over.
Period.  That’s it.  Like Jakes NHL career... the moment is over.  
She can go up there with the intention to get it on, but she can also change her mind if she chooses.
So many of the guys posts in this thread have been fairly gross. 

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

apparently a lot of people that either went to school with him, interacted with him associated with him, or even knew another player who encountered him said he is a grade a Duchebag apparently.  Cocky arrogant and so for.  A comment that said he shouldn't even be in the NHL had like 200 upvotes.  

Now these are people that encountered him, they could be bull $&!#, maybe not.  

most nhlers are cocky i met pavel and his brother in kelowna they were asshole i met craig anderson and ronning also assholes  but jovo was  the nicest guy    jakes always beennoce in interviews amd always smiling amd looks like a good teammate but ya could ve different behind the scenes

7 hours ago, canuktravella said:

i feel like alot if people  jump on anything jake does and judge him he seems like a good kid  hell even sedins dumped on him for hitting a guy and getting suspended   like threw him under the bus  we need jake hitting people on this team we are soft as 3ply.   i m waiting to see what comes out in next few weeks but to me it seems like a money grab by this girl  hopefully im right  but in all reality no one else has come forth with other allegations so its a isolated incident.   Perhaps for jake we ship him to sanjose or florida  give him a fresh start

This is NOT a case of jumping on him for "anything he does".

This is a serious accusation and, until it's proven he didn't do these things, we have to consider that he might have.  

Everyone says it seems like a money grab...it could be.  But it also could be the truth and, in the event it is, this can change a person.  Breach the trust.  Make relationships moving forward very difficult.

Those painting a victim with a gold digger's brush need to give their head a shake.  Sexual assaults are horrible and they do happen...if a woman's intentions are to cash in then a guy also has to be aware of that and protect HIMSELF too.  We hear "why didn't she leave".  Well why put yourself in a situation like this?  If you're just hooking up you're putting yourself at risk by not really knowing who it is you're with.  

What we have to do right now is respect the process for BOTH parties.  Just as we can't automatically assume Jake's guilty, we also can't start looking at the victim like she is.

Time will tell.  Until then, both parties deserve fairness.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, canuktravella said:

most nhlers are cocky i met pavel and his brother in kelowna they were asshole i met craig anderson and ronning also assholes  but jovo was  the nicest guy    jakes always beennoce in interviews amd always smiling amd looks like a good teammate but ya could ve different behind the scenes

This is called stereotyping.  "NHL'ers" are humans and they all differ.

Not sure why we have to do these character assessments (assassinations?) in here?  

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1