The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Benning on Sportsnet 650 with Halford & Brough - June 24, 2021

Rate this topic

CRAZY_4_NAZZY

1 hour ago, appleboy said:

Remember when they scored Schmidt for a third and this site lite up with people telling us that he was a top pairing D man. Now you don't hear that. I wonder why. Most of us said he was a solid D man and we were ridiculed. My feelings are still hurt. Cernak is not a top pairing guy. But he is big.

Jim has a full slate of draft picks . It would be wise to use the 1st and 2nd. Use the others to make some deals.

I want them to stay away from our high picks.   LOL

I can’t wait to hear the people who worship Jim Benning’s draft record say that draft picks aren’t that big of a Deal. Hahah

They go on Google and quote their little probabilities.

Hear ye, hear ye

players drafted after 8th overall have a 0.0045% chance of making team Canada, therefore drafting is a waste of time. 

Then all the Benning buds shower the post with beer mugs and huggy bears. 

While simultaneously

bashing their keyboard with tears flowing. Denouncing anyone who doesn’t ignore Jim Benning’s bush league roster decisions. Then they’ll give you a list of all the players he drafted. Hahaha. See!!!!

This is my little puzzle I like to try to figure out once in a while. 

we can all agree that most of Jim’s mistakes have been made signing contracts and acquiring established players. 

We can all agree that Jim’s home runs have come in the form of drafting. 

When is he going to just trust his area of expertise and use/ acquire some draft picks? If he followed this philosophy from day 1 we would have the same core at the very least, clearly more, at a fraction of what he is paying. This would be the time to start adding veterans with your ridiculous amount of cap space. We are now further behind from trying to get further ahead. That stupid “age gap” cost us like 5 years. 

Edited by Convincing John
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Sad 1
  • RoughGame 3

11 minutes ago, Convincing John said:

I can’t wait to hear the people who worship Jim Benning’s draft record say that draft picks aren’t that big of a Deal. Hahah

Hear ye, hear ye

players drafted after 8th overall have a 0.0045% chance of making team Canada, therefore drafting is a waste of time. 

While simultaneously

bashing their keyboard with tears flowing. Denouncing anyone who doesn’t ignore Jim Benning’s bush league roster decisions. Then they’ll give you a list of all the players he drafted. Hahaha. See!!!!

we can all agree that most of Jim’s mistakes have been made signing contracts and acquiring established players. 

When is he going to just trust his area of expertise and use/ acquire some draft picks? If he followed this philosophy from day 1 we would have the same core at the very least, clearly more, at a fraction of what he is paying. This would be the time to start adding veterans with your ridiculous amount of cap space. We are now further behind from trying to get further ahead. That stupid “age gap” cost us like 5 years. 

You definitely need a Huggy Bear:

image.jpeg.641b405d580a6553f44ebe89a1573ff6.jpeg

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, appleboy said:

Remember when they scored Schmidt for a third and this site lite up with people telling us that he was a top pairing D man. Now you don't hear that. I wonder why. Most of us said he was a solid D man and we were ridiculed. My feelings are still hurt. Cernak is not a top pairing guy. But he is big.

Jim has a full slate of draft picks . It would be wise to use the 1st and 2nd. Use the others to make some deals.

I want them to stay away from our high picks.   LOL

Schmidt played that role on a better team, not hard to figure out why people were high on that acquisition. Many across the league liked Schmidt alot.

Cernak isn't a top pair guy, but he is a pretty good top 4. Hedman & McDonagh being so good allow Tbay to play them with Rutta/Cernak & balance the depth, no doubt.

If an opportunity comes along to get a younger roster player that fits longer term, why not make picks available? Like how Colorado was able to capitalize on NYI's situation to nab Toews.

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, Convincing John said:

Hear ye, hear ye

While simultaneously

There is definitely potential to take advantage of a team stuck between a rock  and a hard place heading into the ED. I just can't see the reason to help them out with our 1st or 2nd round picks.

They won't be given up any 1st line players and as we have said. The point is to take advantage of them not hand them a top nine pick. Or a top forty for that matter.

• Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Schmidt played that role on a better team, not hard to figure out why people were high on that acquisition. Many across the league liked Schmidt alot.

Cernak isn't a top pair guy, but he is a pretty good top 4. Hedman & McDonagh being so good allow Tbay to play them with Rutta/Cernak & balance the depth, no doubt.

If an opportunity comes along to get a younger roster player that fits longer term, why not make picks available? Like how Colorado was able to capitalize on NYI's situation to nab Toews.

We might be able to nab Graves from the Avs.  Maybe pick 40 gets him too. 

5 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

If an opportunity comes along to get a younger roster player that fits longer term, why not make picks available? 

Picks ,yes. Not a 9th or even a 40th.

There are some very interesting defenseman in this years draft. Even the third round looks interesting.

Teams like Tampa just keep developing. We need to learn from that. We keep feeding them high picks. 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Alflives said:

We might be able to nab Graves from the Avs.  Maybe pick 40 gets him too. 

Jim specifically mentioned Hughes, Rathbone and Schmidt as his "puck movers" so that makes me think he's not looking for anything on the left side that isn't a swap of players, e.g. OJ for Graves. And Edlers his back up plan if we need to fill a hole quickly.

I hope we use that pick in the draft for RHD. 

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 2

13 hours ago, spook007 said:

No thats true, but as I wrote, it all depends if Benning thinks we are still rebuilding, in which case he may easily consider selling high on one of the two mentoned players, they would easily fetch a 1st round pick +…. And in the next two drafts there is a lot of high calibre youngsters according to the reports…

Horvats and Millers contracts sre up in 2 years, and at that time the question will again be, where does Benning want to spent his money, bearing in mind we are still looking ro improve our D.  And thats exactly the question that need answered… can’t just get new star players in all positions without making room cap wise for them, so yes Horvat hasn’t even scratched the surface yet and hopefully there will be room for him, but at some stage the question will have to be asked…just lile it was just asked about Toffoli last summer. 

Based on what Benning has said in his interviews, I think that he is thinking just like most on here are, that the Canucks essentially have a core group drafted, some pretty good support pieces but they need more

So, what exactly?

• forwards who can score
  • 3C
  • defense with some size who can also move the puck

We are all hoping that Podkolzin and Hoglander stick in the top 6 eventually and that may leave them with a decent top 6.  Pearson, I would rather see on the 3rd line. 

Benning was asked in the H & B interview about Miller as 3C.  This is a possibility but on the other hand, Green really likes him on Petey's line.  And Benning alluded that what actually gets done depends on the opportunities that present themselves.  It's generally easier to pick up a winger than a centre.  Will Lind develop into that 3C?

Defence needs some size but I think that they also have to be able to move the puck and skate like what Montreal has done.  He would like Edler back because he brings leadership but he has to play for a lot less money and probably in a 3rd pair role.  He'll get PK time as well.  Either way, Edler will need to be replaced within a couple of years.  Benning didn't mention Hamonic.  We'll see what he does there.  

I really don't know what Benning meant by being aggressive.  He has stirred up the coaching staff (Brown out, Shaw in).  What exactly to we want him to do on the ice?   Buyouts?  Ya, Eriksson, Virtanen maybe.  Roussel, Ferland, Beagle could all disappear if by remaining on LTIR or bury them in the minors.  And after that there's free agency but please, no big money players. But all this I think comes after the expansion draft because there may be bargains to be had there.  There is a lot going on this year and like Benning said it all depends on the opportunities.

• Cheers 3

15 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

Based on what Benning has said in his interviews, I think that he is thinking just like most on here are, that the Canucks essentially have a core group drafted, some pretty good support pieces but they need more

So, what exactly?

• forwards who can score
  • 3C
  • defense with some size who can also move the puck

We are all hoping that Podkolzin and Hoglander stick in the top 6 eventually and that may leave them with a decent top 6.  Pearson, I would rather see on the 3rd line. 

Benning was asked in the H & B interview about Miller as 3C.  This is a possibility but on the other hand, Green really likes him on Petey's line.  And Benning alluded that what actually gets done depends on the opportunities that present themselves.  It's generally easier to pick up a winger than a centre.  Will Lind develop into that 3C?

Defence needs some size but I think that they also have to be able to move the puck and skate like what Montreal has done.  He would like Edler back because he brings leadership but he has to play for a lot less money and probably in a 3rd pair role.  He'll get PK time as well.  Either way, Edler will need to be replaced within a couple of years.  Benning didn't mention Hamonic.  We'll see what he does there.  

I really don't know what Benning meant by being aggressive.  He has stirred up the coaching staff (Brown out, Shaw in).  What exactly to we want him to do on the ice?   Buyouts?  Ya, Eriksson, Virtanen maybe.  Roussel, Ferland, Beagle could all disappear if by remaining on LTIR or bury them in the minors.  And after that there's free agency but please, no big money players. But all this I think comes after the expansion draft because there may be bargains to be had there.  There is a lot going on this year and like Benning said it all depends on the opportunities.

Cheers CC…

yes it’ll be very interesting to see the direction, which JB intends to take… I agree with everything you’ve said 100%. 
I’m still unsure about the D though, and won’t be surprised to see Benning spending big money on an upgrade there…both Rathbone and QH in particular needs good defencive D alongside them, and I feel unsure as to whether the ones we have are strong enough… especially a defensive pairing. 
Ibatch actually asked the same question, as to if there really is room for both in the team, if we want to progress? 
But yes fast forward with will and a movable D with Size… I still remember all the negative laughing posts about Montreal taking Webers contract from Nashville… man would I like to see a stud like that on our backend. 
Add to that the 3C question, and yes there its lot of questions, he needs to deal with, but I don’t think we are as far away as some… bring it on. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Haula, Armia, Janmark, Wennberg, Tatar, Brassard, Palmieri, Dzingel, Granlund, Duclair, Bjugstad

Looking at some UFA forwards^ & there's some interesting names.

Tatar is coming off a down year where he's been a healthy scratch, wonder what he might command, older but maybe you get him on a 1 year deal. Palmieri had a slight down year too, but has a great track record. Will probably still command alot.

Haula, Janmark, Armia & Wennberg are all nice options if they can come at a reasonable cost.

Brassard is older but has ability, might be a decent pickup on the cheap aswell. 

And I like Bjugstad, he adds size in the bottom 6. Not sure what kind of offense he brings at this stage but maybe you can give him a shot on a cheapish deal.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Haula, Armia, Janmark, Wennberg, Tatar, Brassard, Palmieri, Dzingel, Granlund, Duclair, Bjugstad

Looking at some UFA forwards^ & there's some interesting names.

Tatar is coming off a down year where he's been a healthy scratch, wonder what he might command, older but maybe you get him on a 1 year deal. Palmieri had a slight down year too, but has a great track record. Will probably still command alot.

Haula, Janmark, Armia & Wennberg are all nice options if they can come at a reasonable cost.

Brassard is older but has ability, might be a decent pickup on the cheap aswell. 

And I like Bjugstad, he adds size in the bottom 6. Not sure what kind of offense he brings at this stage but maybe you can give him a shot on a cheapish deal.

I like all 4 of those guys. Bjugstad I'm iffy on. He just never panned out really.

I have been on the big, right side D Train for a long time but I am starting to think we also need some big fast nasty wingers, and if common knowledge is correct that it is the easiest (therefore cheapest?) position to fill, I'd like to see a return to the type of teams we had with Tim Hunter, and Sergio Momesso, teams full of angry guys who showed up with a lot of force and backed it up if it came to that.

Remember how Vegas pounded us in the bubble?  It shut us down.

Maybe I'm misremembering, but I'm starting to think a lot of that heavy lifting was done by crashing forwards like Tuch and others. 

Imo, GM Jim might could pick up some fast skating, hard hitting, battlers for the heavy going of The Stanley Cup Playoffs for not too much right now.

Not sayin' I wouldn't like to see JB pull off a big deal for a big, good right side D, just in addition to that extra beef, I'd like to see it on the wings too.

Plus you have to give to get, so I am interested to see what he is willing to part with (2nd, 3rd rounders, Woo? Mike Tendy? Hogz?) in order to get what D he wants.

Maybe catch a couple teams up against the ED, and get a couple #2 RDs, they don't cost as much cap, and we have to platoon D anyway (remember how many D we went through with Gillis?).

I don't know, obviously, but man, it sure is hot...

• Cheers 2