The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The future of schmidt and myers

Rate this topic

Bertuzzipunch

Who would you rather trade?  

108 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

22 hours ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

For me it's pretty clear: Shaw can't wipe out Myer's defencies. 

Myers will continue to take stupid penalties.

Myers will continue to turn pucks over in his own end

Myers will continue to fail on the man coverage

Feel free to enlarge this list....

Yeah, right.  At 2.27 giveaways per 60 mins, he's second in giveaways to only Brisebois (5.20), Rafferty (4.29) - a limited sample of just 1 game each with negligible ice time - then  Schmidt (3.75), Rathbone (2.90) and Hughes (2.81).   The much maligned Chatfield was best among all of our defencemen (0.74 giveaways per 60 mins)

Myers turning the puck over is the least of our defensive problems

Edited by Googlie
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Why would the Canucks want to do long term deals with Petey and Quinn?  Do we want to become the Toronto Maple Leafs?  It's in both parties best interests to do short term bridge deals at 3 years.  We have lots of cap space for that.  Their agent is just throwing stuff out there to make the Canucks look weaker.  We can easily open up over $6 million in cap space by simply buying out Holtby and Virtanen.  Benning has already stated he is open to buyouts.  

But we don't know what buyout budget FA might have given Benning.   $3 or $4 million wouldn't do both.   And, realistically, if Seattle doesn't take Holtby, is his buyout charge, then the cost of a back up, going to free up that much?  It isn't in the Club's or Mikey's interests to be gatekeeper for 50 games in Vancouver - he needs to play 50 games in Abbotsford

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Why would the Canucks want to do long term deals with Petey and Quinn?  Do we want to become the Toronto Maple Leafs?  It's in both parties best interests to do short term bridge deals at 3 years.  We have lots of cap space for that.  Their agent is just throwing stuff out there to make the Canucks look weaker.  We can easily open up over $6 million in cap space by simply buying out Holtby and Virtanen.  Benning has already stated he is open to buyouts.  

Agreed.  Why would these elite RFAs (there’s a group of these guys coming up right now) take a longer term than three years during a flat cap.  It’s for sure in their best interests financially to sign 3 year bridge deals, and then get the longer term deal after the flat cap era.  

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

20 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I'd love to know the number of things Jim is working on at the moment on this front. I do think he'd do a deal prior to expansion and expose Myers if a right side d comes along.

Maybe, like a moth to a flame, working on an OEL deal again?????

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

6.0 M AAV / Cap hit for a 3rd pairing guy like Myers is one of the reasons why Canucks can't sign both Pettersson and Hughes to long term contracts:

Rick Dhaliwal: Barry continue: “Canucks have cap issues, I dont think we can do long term deals for Petey and Quinn. We have started the dance, we are engaged in talks.”

6.0 M AAV /Cap Hit for Myers is a joke.

I remember very well that I posted Myers stats from his time in Winnipeg in the Myers thread. His stats were mediocre. Everything over 4.5 m for a guy like Myers is an overpayment. 6.0M is a massive overpayment. Jim maneuvered Canucks in serious cap trouble and there is no easy way out. Canucks couldn't resign Toffoli and can't do long term deals for both Pettersson and Hughes.

Lmao Myers is maybe overpaid by a million hardly reason why were in cap hell problem is you have Schmidt and Myers both number 4 d making 6 mil and Myers is physical harder play against and rhd they gotta trade Schmidt we have enough soft d in Hughes and juolevi/rathbone 

• Vintage 1

4 hours ago, IBatch said:

Sure 4.5 is better.   Much happier to have him then 8 x 8 for Trouba though.  These RHD blue chippers (and i'd include Schmidt in that group) just don't fall off trees.   4.5 is actually ridiculously low for a UFA like Myers ... 5.5 is more like it.   Without covid nobody would be complaining either.   Petry just got 6.25 x 6 and look at his age.  Even with covid, it won't be long before there is many more guys making what Myers is before he's done.   You simply can't include any second contract or RFAs to Myers.    And as far as RHDs does ... he's got a lot to offer.   Amps it up in the playoffs, and had the IT factor i like anyways during important games.   Injured and back him, Demko and Motte were the only guys that could handle them.   After Vegas scored he skated the puck out each and every shift he had, took it into their zone and created a scoring opportunity.   None of our guys - zero - no forwards, no defense did that.   QHs had 5 minutes the entire series 5 x 5 that he did anything. 

Haha I meant 4.5 as in he has performed like a 4-5th defenseman

4.5 is still too high for him. I understand that people overpay for size and previous draft pedigree but like.. just.. don’t? 

17 minutes ago, Tom Sestito said:

Haha I meant 4.5 as in he has performed like a 4-5th defenseman

4.5 is still too high for him. I understand that people overpay for size and previous draft pedigree but like.. just.. don’t? 

Lol.   Ok.   Just wonder, given he was the best D we had this last year, how you feel about the rest the of the team then? 

29 minutes ago, Scottydzik said:

Lmao Myers is maybe overpaid by a million hardly reason why were in cap hell problem is you have Schmidt and Myers both number 4 d making 6 mil and Myers is physical harder play against and rhd they gotta trade Schmidt we have enough soft d in Hughes and juolevi/rathbone 

Some folks i'm not sure if they actually bother watching the games.   Myers is like Edler was a few years ago when we really sucked.   Just the best we have.  Don't get the picking on his cap one bit, even with covid it's ok for a UFA 6 x 5, hasn't been injured yet like Elder was either ... or Tanev for that matter.   I sound like a broken record but we need more guys like him not less.    Seems like most of the CDC was around for the 2010-2013 team.   Go back and look at the cap percentage we paid for that D.   Myers vs Ballard....the more we get like him, the more effective the entire D will become. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Some folks i'm not sure if they actually bother watching the games.   Myers is like Edler was a few years ago when we really sucked.   Just the best we have.  Don't get the picking on his cap one bit, even with covid it's ok for a UFA 6 x 5, hasn't been injured yet like Elder was either ... or Tanev for that matter.   I sound like a broken record but we need more guys like him not less.    Seems like most of the CDC was around for the 2010-2013 team.   Go back and look at the cap percentage we paid for that D.   Myers vs Ballard....the more we get like him, the more effective the entire D will become. 

Excactly iv watched a lot Canucks game he was one of our best players in playoffs last year with demko ideal d with one trade and fa signing

hughes Larsson 

graves myers

rathbone hamonic

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Googlie said:

Yeah, right.  At 2.27 giveaways per 60 mins, he's second in giveaways to only Brisebois (5.20), Rafferty (4.29) - a limited sample of just 1 game each with negligible ice time - then  Schmidt (3.75), Rathbone (2.90) and Hughes (2.81).   The much maligned Chatfield was best among all of our defencemen (0.74 giveaways per 60 mins)

Myers turning the puck over is the least of our defensive problems

Some people don't seem to just parrot whatever others are saying.  Yes Myers is probably overpaid a little in flat cap.  Get over it.  We need him.   Our right side is back to Del Zotto without him no thanks.   Chatfield wasn't good.   Would have been nice to see more Rafferty but get the coaches work with what they see, not what we think is there.    Myers was relied on the R side the same way JV was a couple years ago as in all over the place.   QHs doesn't kill penalties for a reason.   Myers kills penalties for a reason, and also used in the third period a lot for a reason whether we are ahead or behind.   It's hard to even determine our 1, 2,3 pairings.   But Myers was double shifted a lot, same as QHs only when we were behind though which was a ton.  Why?   Because they can skate with the puck.   Myers is good at that, same with Schmidt and of course QHs is a master although he rarely enters the zone and actually goes to the net for a shot (now that's something i'd like to see more of, like Niedermayer another great puck handler).   Suppose it will come with time. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

I'm still not sure if it's they're system or personnel? They have some good pieces but they're not being utilized properly. If Hughes can fix his defensive game and they can pick up another big fast skating D man they may be ok ? Hopefully Shaw can fix some of they're woes ?

• Cheers 1

On 6/27/2021 at 1:16 PM, Rick_theRyper said:

This makes me wonder why the Baumer extension since it happened. I would feel better seeing a complete walk away. Technically his role as defensive coach was extended no? Will he just be told “do what Shaw tells you” 

From what I've taken from the interview Shaw has done, he's the coach in charge of the defense now. BumG reports to him and Green, and will primarily be in charge of the penalty kill. The systems work and structure will come from Shaw. 

It wouldn't make sense to hire a coach with Shaw's experience, developing defensemen in both St. Louis and Columbus, and not give him the ability to apply that experience to the situation. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RWMc1 said:

Daly released a statement last year stating that the cap would go up 3-6 million depending on escrow. The consensus was that the players would choose the low end of 3 million. With the Seattle expansion and a new TV deal in the States, the cap probably would have gone up even more. The cap landscape would look radically different if not for Covid.

The season before the league projected 83M - it ended up being only 81.5M.   It was going to be a repeat.

The player side found those projections unrealistic even before Covid.  

Mirtle in The Athletic:  "Multiple sources on the players' side said on Thursday that has almost no chance of happening. In fact, many believe the cap will not even reach the league's minimum projected figure of $84-million for next season, which would mean an increase of $2.5-million or less."

The league projects with the full escalator but it's a player decisions.  Escrow has been a growing issue.  There were even discussions to keep the cap somewhat flat for several years, even after the new TV deal kicks in, to allow revenue to catchup to the salary cap. 

• Vintage 1

2 hours ago, Scottydzik said:

So last year the Canucks traded for Schmidt and everyone on here tried to say he was a first pairing dman.

Now he's a number 4 dman we should trade?

I always didn't like the Myers or Schmidt deal but everyone yoyos back and forth.

12 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

So last year the Canucks traded for Schmidt and everyone on here tried to say he was a first pairing dman.

I always didn't like the Myers or Schmidt deal but everyone yoyos back and forth.

CDC during a heatwave.

1 hour ago, Chris12345 said:

For 3rd round pick it was a good shot to try to see the fit I feel his value is still high enough get something decent and use that money elsewhere like a partner for Hughes 

3 minutes ago, Scottydzik said:

For 3rd round pick it was a good shot to try to see the fit I feel his value is still high enough get something decent and use that money elsewhere like a partner for Hughes 

Id trade him and use the money for montour in UFA for hughes partner.

• Like 1