The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why we are never in the conversation for big name trades in the Benning era?

Rate this topic

15 minutes ago, Angry Goose said:

He didn't put the points up people were expecting so he gets written off.  Hope he's a big part of the team next year 

Yeah me too. One player can struggle on a new team while a similarly or lesser skilled player will thrive immediately on their new team. This is different for all players. Let's consider that Vegas played an up tempo style with pucks literally being rifled to the opposing blue line constantly for breakaway attempts. Compare that to Van where it literally looks like they are commanded to keep possession of the puck at all costs in there own zone. It's not like Schmidt can't learn to play in that system but I definitely see it taking a while to unlearn certain instincts while developing others.

Some players take more of a wait and see approach on a new team than others before deciding to play balls out consequences be damned. Long story short it's too early to write this guy off because of last year.

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Gawdzukes said:

Yeah me too. One player can struggle on a new team while a similarly or lesser skilled player will thrive immediately on their new team. This is different for all players. Let's consider that Vegas played an up tempo style with pucks literally being rifled to the opposing blue line constantly for breakaway attempts. Compare that to Van where it literally looks like they are commanded to keep possession of the puck at all costs in there own zone. It's not like Schmidt can't learn to play in that system but I definitely see it taking a while to unlearn certain instincts while developing others. Some players take more of a wait and see approach on a new team others before deciding to play balls out consequences be damned. Long story short it's too early to write this guy off because of last year.

And I guess we will see whether he's here or next season to boot.

5 hours ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

It’s a little frustrating to see where this franchise is at and all the pieces it is still missing and then realize we don’t have the assets to make impact trades. This franchise should at least have assets to make deals for players like a Seth Jones, yet this team isn’t even mentioned.

The team could make a trade at any moment but will probably wait, much like a lot of other teams, until the playoffs are over. Question for you. Just because the team isn't mentioned in a trade for Seth Jones doesn't mean that they haven't inquired. As well, it could be possible that the team sees Jones' declining numbers, and wants to stay away. Remember that Brad Shaw, the newly hired assistant coach in Vancouver, had a hand in coaching Jones in Columbus. 

That happens at every free agency and trade deadline.

At plenty of the FA and trade deadlines, the Canucks have been quite active. 

It’s just another example of how this franchise has not been set up to get better or to improve. There is very little in the prospect cupboard as of right now which is alarming at this point. It would just be nice to at least be in that conversation. Hearing Schmidt wants out just goes to show there is something wrong with this organization.

The team will improve. This last season was definitely one to forget. That happens. Not giving anyone in the organization a free pass, but also I understand that the last year was a hard one. Shortened season where some core pieces of the team moved on. The defensive play was atrocious, no doubt. What did Benning do to deal with that? He hired a proven and experienced coach in Shaw to help right that part of the ship. This hiring will have a profound effect on how the team plays defense, and will most likely help to shape the actual defense corps going forward. 

Schmidt may want out, or he may not. That's his choice is as reflective on him as it is on the team. I can't look at that situation, if it is proven to be true as an issue with the team, and not with the player. 

• Vintage 1

48 minutes ago, Angry Goose said:

Underperformed big time? Under 10mins in penalties and was one of the most steady d men on a terrible team in a covid last season.  I'd wait till a normal regular season before casting negative judgement.  

Funny how that terrible team was in the playoffs the year before :ph34r:

33 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Some people don't understand moving to a new team often has an adjustment period. He's played in a $&!#ty half season in which he definitely started looking more comfortable as the season went on. He's obviously a better player than what he showed. A better understanding of talent and hockey wouldn't lead to these snap judgements.

Oh that's why Loui Eriksson hasn't lived up to expectations, I got it now he just needs more time.

Keegan-Michael Key Lol GIF by HULU

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Oh that's why Loui Eriksson hasn't lived up to expectations, I got it now he just needs more time.

Keegan-Michael Key Lol GIF by HULU

JB screwed up, should of been for one more year. Watch him score 50 next year on McDavid's wing.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Funny how that terrible team was in the playoffs the year before :ph34r:

I don't get it.  Line up changes.  Some key players underperformed.  COVID schedule definitely had an impact.  I didn't say they are a terrible team but last season there's no denying it was a rough one 

4 hours ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

Thank you very much for opening this thread.

Thank you very much for your opening statement.

Let's take a look back: Canucks lost two right handed D-Men in Tanev and Stecher and Jim Benning probably tried to land Tyson Barrie (that's an assumption - to be fair). Barrie of course joined the Oilers because he knew he would get way more time on the PP than in VAN. Option A find a replacement for the right side was no longer available. I really can't understand that Jim Benning added a LHD in Schmidt after losing two right handed D-Men.

One of the reasons why Schmidt had a down year was that he played not on his natural side, the left side. Not to mention that Schmidt's cap hit with 5.950.000 US-$ is massive, especially in the Canucks situatiion.

Jim Benning mentioned several times that he wants the Canucks to get bigger and stronger. Nevertheless he added a player like Schmidt with his 6.0 ft.

To sum it up: Schmidt was not a fit when the Canucks signed him. He was clearly the wrong player.

According to Pagnotta's note "things haven't worked out for Schmidt in VAN" and that's the reason why Jim Benning is trying to trade Schmidt and of course to clear some cap space.

I do not agree with your statement that Canucks do not have the assets to go after Seth Jones. Canucks have the assets (1st round pick, prospects like Podkolzin, Hoglander). Canucks can't go after Seth Jones because they don't have the cap space because of signings like Schmidt, Roussel, Beagle, Ferland... and so on. That's the truth.

I think the two most important things for Jim and his staff going forward are-

1. make sure that you add the right players to the team !!  - no Gudbranson's , no Schmidt's .... and of course no Holtby's ...

2. make sure that you make your due diligence on prospects (why isn't Kole Lind still not on the Canucks team, why isn't Gadjovich still not on the Canucks team). Both were 2nd round picks. You have to nail those if you want to become a playoff team.

Refresh my memory, please, where did Gads and Lind finish playing  last year?

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Stupid Benning!  Seriously, drafting guys who make our team.  We need drafted guys who stay in those cupboards, right?

Just don't draft Tom Cruise, or John Travolta:

1 hour ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

I'll give credit for Miller but Schmidt..... He underperformed big time imo, I was expecting more out of him and that didn't happen. And hearing rumors now that he wants to be traded out, not really an excellent move there.

Where are you hearing those rumours?

1 minute ago, Angry Goose said:

I don't get it.  Line up changes.  Some key players underperformed.  COVID schedule definitely had an impact.  I didn't say they are a terrible team but last season there's no denying it was a rough one 

Samuel L Jackson Reaction GIF by Coming to America

You literally used the exact words terrible team....

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, gurn said:

You are using that as a source to hear rumours?

Do you really believe though that every player is happy on this team? Do you really believe no one would be interested in going somewhere else? 

Instead of people always questioning sources, ask yourselves the real question, then make decisions, I really don't believe everything is as peachy as some may want to believe. 

4 hours ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

Right, with his pedigree. 7 years and counting. We actually are looked at by other organizations as a laughing stock because of the amount of disfunction that has happened. Why do you think the Sedins were brought on now at this point.  They could feel the heat and needed to do something to calm the fans down. It’s not good when players are wanting to leave an organization without a good reason. Schmidt had great ice time and was being given a lot of opportunities. The writing is on the wall. They aren’t anywhere close to competing for a cup which is disappointing after 7 years. They have so many holes in the bottom half of their lineup. It’s impossible to fill all the teams needs by next season. You have to be realistic. 

No, just a lot of our fans are viewed that way...

:huh:

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Do you really believe though that every player is happy on this team? Do you really believe no one would be interested in going somewhere else? 

Have you ever seen me say  or imply that?

Strawmen are cool, but they burn easily.

49 minutes ago, Dixon Ward said:

Ferland gets forgotten, I was pretty psyched when he got that inked, sadly his career is over, but he would have made us a much better team over the last couple of years.

I wonder if Ferland ever feels guilty for signing that monster contract. I assume he was having head / concussion issues throughout the summer that he signed. He missed most of training camp and never looked comfortable early on. I think that’s partly why he tried so hard over and over again to come back, because he knows he signed the contract in somewhat bad faith, hoping his head issues would clear up in time.

1 hour ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Personally was expecting him to play like a 6 million dollar dman even a 5 woulda been nice but a 2 million dollar one meh not impressed

$6 million dmen who play like $6 million dmen aren't offloaded for 3rd rounders. 

1 minute ago, gurn said:

Have you ever seen me say  or imply that?

Strawmen are cool, but they burn easily.

Nope can't say I have, but the way you replied to me made me think that you don't believe it's true at all because of the source and questioning me for even considering it a possibility of truth, so you don't believe he wants to be moved, correct?