The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumor] Canucks Interested in Tyler Bertuzzi

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

buying out Jake gets us 1/2 way into TB's next deal, so I don't think cap is an issue for us, but the right cost.... thats tough. 

I don't think anyone's going to (or should) consider a top 20 1st. So thats out. 

2nd and home town boy Lockwood? 

I'd be trying to do a deal around Juolevi, if Stevie would bite on that we could do another deal for a RHD pre-expansion. 

By young guns I meant roster players (and pod). 

• Vintage 1

29 minutes ago, Pears said:

Not all injuries are the same (especially concussions). I think Boeser came back pretty ok from his injury issues. 

Love Bertuzzi but his value should be discounted because of his back issues. Steve Y is a crafty GM and he scares me if dealing with JB. I want Bertuzzi and if he had no injury history he may be worth a late first. As is, our second is a high one so I wouldn't add much to our second as the offer.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, gurn said:

So far between the two players mentioned, Boeser and Edler, 50 % of them have been 100% since their injury.

Small sample size for sure, however I'm not big on tradeing for a 50/50  risk player at a $5 mill per cap hit.

If the guy's name wasn't Bertuzzi, I'd say half of the support for this idea vanishes.

Could be. But I've been a fan of his since his guelf storm days. 

Also hes an rfa so I dont know where 5mill comes from.

When did edler have his back problem I forget. Pretty young?

As much as I’d like to see OJ remain in blue, I’d float:

OJ + JV + 2nd or 3rd round pick for Bert + later round pick

Not saying OJ is Lidstrom 2.0 or will be, but in all of this there’s some potential chemistry between the two teams with the names being bandied about.

Stevie Y gets two young players with something still to prove, which fit the young rebuilding Det core, and both on cheap contracts that afford for larger high profile contracts when the team is ready as a unit to take that next step in a couple years. They will both also get the ice time there they need to develop as players. JV has potential to be a Mantha replacement as well. 

Nux free up a F spot, move on from two players who have been invested into and still remain question marks, and attain a solid top 1-9 F who battles, is a team player, fits the age demo, and who the fans will get behind because of his papa.

The contract is large and could be a weight, but given what will be happening after next season in terms of money off the books, and especially this coming season as a serious assessment of who/what defines our core and how we shape it going forward, this imho is a good move.

Depending on what other moves JB can pull off (moving out some 3/4th line vets) or how much money ownership commits for buyout, it presents an opportunity for some younger guys to fill out the bottom two lines and finally get the experience that they require to remain with the team and contribute.

If we can flesh out a worthy top 9, perhaps even draft a McTavish this year, a player type who we should be molding the team around) we can then afford to focus on building our D over this and next season between trade and FAs. Drafting D and slotting into NHL usually takes a learning curve, so again imho, we should focus on the area where we will see major turnover next season.

Give Rathbone some time to see what he has over a larger sample size, try and bring back Hamonic, go after Oleksiak if we can afford. 

My prime target for D trade this season would be Brady Skjei. Just throwing that out there too, haha.

Thoughts?

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Nux free up a F spot, move on from two players who have been invested into and still remain question marks, and attain a solid top 1-9 F who battles, is a team player, fits the age demo, and who the fans will get behind because of his papa.

Uncle.

14 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

When did edler have his back problem I forget. Pretty young?

Wiki            https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_Edler

"Recovering in time for the 2010–11 season, Edler continued to improve and was on pace to record new career-highs in goals, assists and points when he suffered a back injury in January 2011. Canucks general manager Mike Gillis told reporters that Edler had been experiencing tightness in his back at several times in the season, but an open-ice hit against Dallas Stars forward Jamie Benn during a game on 24 January might have contributed to his back problems.[28] Edler underwent microdiscectomy surgery to relieve pressure on a herniated disk and was sidelined for two-and-a-half months,[29] returning for the second-last game of the regular season.[

19 minutes ago, rekker said:

Love Bertuzzi but his value should be discounted because of his back issues. Steve Y is a crafty GM and he scares me if dealing with JB. I want Bertuzzi and if he had no injury history he may be worth a late first. As is, our second is a high one so I wouldn't add much to our second as the offer.

is he crafty? he's able to take on bad contracts since ownership is OK with a full on years-long tank. Not sure he's fleeced anyone tho. 

• Upvote 1

The cost of acquisition for Ferland was worth it, even as a gamble. Free agent, identity player, and would have been a major boon to the top 9 if he stayed heathy. 

It sucks to see how it turned out for him, and for us as fans, but placing him on LTIR affords other opportunities. Ebb and flow. Might be the same with Beagle this season.

All players get injured at some point, every contract comes with a risk. Look at what happened to McDavid. No one is immune from it. Due diligence doesn’t come with a crystal ball, and in regards to Ferland, JB needed someone who could potentially be a jack of all trades and protect EP, QH. Ferland was heralded as a top option amongst most pundits.

• Vintage 1

8 hours ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Yzerman, really doing a full rebuild by selling expensive & young assets (even the young Larkin), while he builds his (own) young core; and saving his cap to add when his core is ready.  Ballsy but he is able to sell his plan to the owners & (to a lesser) the fan.

Something to ponder: if Yzerman, was our GM - would he had traded the Twins ?   My guess: Yes.

I would have loved to see him try. Because in the end the Twins probably would say "What part of no movement clause do you not understand?"

• Cheers 1

23 minutes ago, gurn said:

Wiki            https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_Edler

"Recovering in time for the 2010–11 season, Edler continued to improve and was on pace to record new career-highs in goals, assists and points when he suffered a back injury in January 2011. Canucks general manager Mike Gillis told reporters that Edler had been experiencing tightness in his back at several times in the season, but an open-ice hit against Dallas Stars forward Jamie Benn during a game on 24 January might have contributed to his back problems.[28] Edler underwent microdiscectomy surgery to relieve pressure on a herniated disk and was sidelined for two-and-a-half months,[29] returning for the second-last game of the regular season.[

Real young

13 minutes ago, Pears said:

Again, concussions are a much different injury from backs. If I recall correctly Edler rebounded pretty well from his back injury. 

I concur. Bertuzzi hasn’t had any head injuries, has he. I wouldn’t be afraid to go after him. Fans would love this guy 

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 2

22 minutes ago, Pears said:

Again, concussions are a much different injury from backs. If I recall correctly Edler rebounded pretty well from his back injury. 

Edler has also said he will nevber have his back at 100% again.

Many posters on here will say Edler has never been good enough since that injury. To be fair alot of them don't think he was all that good before the injury either; so take opinions with scepticism.