The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumor] Canucks Interested in Tyler Bertuzzi

3 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Man if a deal for Tyler blew up in our face, say Tyler misses a whole chunk of the season. JB would be laughed out of town. 

Long past that for me already with this Canuck GM, saving face if he can bring in Bertuzzi and don't gut the team by inlcuding the 9th overall. But maybe he sends the 9th pick for him if we can dump a big contract like LE and say a roster player like Virtanen who Detroit could buyout if they want. Unlikely any team trades for Jake with his current legal situation tho, and for the Canucks I think they should hold onto Jake and if he gets charged they can terminate his contract with 0 cap hit this year or next. 

I want the Canucks to buyout NOBODY, you can shed salary without impacting our cap going forward and it won't cost us a ton to do it. Cap space is such a big luxury to have during the flat cap, even a 500k cap hit next year for Jake is still a big NO for me.

23 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Stevie Y is stockpiling draft picks.  He now has 22 picks over the next two drafts.  I would say at this point he may be looking for some young prospects who can step in and play.

Bertuzzi checks most boxes in terms of what we need.  Obviously the issue is his health.  If he is 100% this is a no brainer, he would be a perfect fit in our lineup.  I'm sure we wouldn't want another Ferland situation.  He's also up for a new contract, but I'm assuming he will take a short one year deal to get more leverage next year.

I'd do our 2nd plus a prospect.  DiPietro could work.  He would be a backup here and Benning can draft another goalie this year.  Or we could do our 2nd plus Lind and Virtanen.  

I wouldn't touch the 9OA though.  We still need to keep building our base of young core players.

If Stevie Y is stockpiling draft picks, maybe Jim should take notes. We don’t need to be trading any draft picks away. We need to strip back down to the frame, which is a pretty decent frame, and do what Jim does best. Draft the hell out of some players.

I seriously can’t believe we are even talking about trading futures for players other GMs give up on. How many times do we need to be bitten by this stupid idea? Like 12? 

3 minutes ago, lmm said:

and note that they didn't make it past Vegas

when I watched the Avs spank Vegas in game one, I thought the Avs in 7

then I looked at how small their D was , 

I was not surprized when it ended the way it did

A Cautionary Tale

Except we aren’t competing for a cup here. We need to make steps towards that direction. That is why we have to be cautious on who we move out. Hughes and Rathbone may not be huge but they are talented and young af. A big defence core may have won the whole thing in the past but if you can’t move the puck you aren’t even going to make the playoffs. We could very well be eating our words when the Avalanche win the cup next year with those guys 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Convincing John said:

If Stevie Y is stockpiling draft picks, maybe Jim should take notes. We don’t need to be trading any draft picks away. We need to strip back down to the frame, which is a pretty decent frame, and do what Jim does best. Draft the hell out of some players.

I seriously can’t believe we are even talking about trading futures for players other GMs give up on. How many times do we need to be bitten by this stupid idea? Like 12? 

Ummm the Canucks already have most of their core in place.  Detroit has stripped to the bare bone and need help in ALL positions.  Big difference.  We already have our top 2 centres in place, starting goalie, #1 winger, #1 or #2 Dman (whatever you want to call Quinn) and two very promising young studs in Hoglander and Podkolzin.  Detroit is still missing some big pieces.  

Stevie Y is going a great job so far.  With those 22 picks in the next 2 years he should be able to acquire most of those missing pieces.  Bertuzzi is just another chip he is dangling.  He doesn't really need him because there is no urgency for Detroit to make the playoffs in the next 2-3 years.  Benning has already stated that his intention is for the Canucks to e competitive next year and make the playoffs, so he's not going to change course and start stockpiling draft picks.  That ship has sailed.  If Benning gets fired next summer then the new GM can start from scratch.  Let's hope that doesn't happen as I do really want to see Vancouver win a Cup before I die.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Now I'm curious about his recovery schedule.  Saying he's ready for next season might not cover having enought time to rehab and fully train to improve/be at his peak. 

Either way still just a rumour at this point I guess 

• Cheers 1

Just now, Angry Goose said:

Now I'm curious about his recovery schedule.  Saying he's ready for next season might not cover having enought time to rehab and fully train to improve/be at his peak. 

Either way still just a rumour at this point I guess 

Sure beats the hell out of talking about Schmidt and OEL though  lmao 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

Except we aren’t competing for a cup here. We need to make steps towards that direction. That is why we have to be cautious on who we move out. Hughes and Rathbone may not be huge but they are talented and young af. A big defence core may have won the whole thing in the past but if you can’t move the puck you aren’t even going to make the playoffs. We could very well be eating our words when the Avalanche win the cup next year with those guys 

or the Avs spend a few years not getting past Vegas, 

then retool their D just as the forward group pass thier peak

8 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

pass on an injury riddled player. 

Keep that 9OA, Benning. The closer we get to the draft, the more this management team seems to scare me. 

The sky is not falling. PTSD maybe?  Note: rumours are just rumours... Breath.  Being a canuck fan requires a strong constitution.  Definitely not for the faint of heart.  Hang in there... You'll be okay. 

Edited by Hogs & Podz

6 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Ummm the Canucks already have most of their core in place.  Detroit has stripped to the bare bone and need help in ALL positions.  Big difference.  We already have our top 2 centres in place, starting goalie, #1 winger, #1 or #2 Dman (whatever you want to call Quinn) and two very promising young studs in Hoglander and Podkolzin.  Detroit is still missing some big pieces.  

Stevie Y is going a great job so far.  With those 22 picks in the next 2 years he should be able to acquire most of those missing pieces.  Bertuzzi is just another chip he is dangling.  He doesn't really need him because there is no urgency for Detroit to make the playoffs in the next 2-3 years.  Benning has already stated that his intention is for the Canucks to e competitive next year and make the playoffs, so he's not going to change course and start stockpiling draft picks.  That ship has sailed.  If Benning gets fired next summer then the new GM can start from scratch.  Let's hope that doesn't happen as I do really want to see Vancouver win a Cup before I die.

We don’t have a Tampa bay core. We have a Canadian franchise being rushed out of a rebuild core. So ya, let’s go all in on little Bertuzzi. It’s in sync with our goal of making the playoffs. 

3 minutes ago, lmm said:

or the Avs spend a few years not getting past Vegas, 

then retool their D just as the forward group pass thier peak

Yeah I don’t have a crystal ball but they have a pretty big window right now imo. We will see. 

1 minute ago, Convincing John said:

We don’t have a Tampa bay core. We have a Canadian franchise being rushed out of a rebuild core. So ya, let’s go all in on little Bertuzzi. It’s in sync with our goal of making the playoffs. 

We going “all in” on Bertuzzi

Spicy 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Convincing John said:

Trading a 2nd round pick and a prospect like DiPietro or Lind for a 26 year old 20 goal scorer is not going all in.  I already said we shouldn't trade our 9OA this year.  And I don't think Benning is gonna trade it either unless he gets a great offer for it.

27 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

Can’t draft a local kid - Virtanen.

No he Had an injury - Ferland

Player is almost 30 - Eriksson.

We really back ourselves into comers sometimes don’t we. Life is full of risk and rewards. If we played it totally safe we probably wouldn’t make any moves 

someone says it every deadline day

"Sometimes the best moves you make are the moves you don't make"

The same is true July 1 (or when ever that day comes now)

Jim's mantra from day one has always been "Character Guys" 

that is why we drafted Brisebois. 6 years after his draft he has played 9 NHL games

Looking back at Jim's first draft, 2014, one wonders what is Jims criterion for "Character Guys"

Looking at Loui the Lump still hanging around one wonders some more what does Jim actually mean when he says "Character Guys"

Sure you have to make moves

Jim is paid to make the right moves

21 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

Yeah I don’t have a crystal ball but they have a pretty big window right now imo. We will see. 

Ah but you'd be surprized how quick a window can slam shut

Colo looks about 1 maybe 2 years younger than the 2004 Canucks

( I meat to paste  2004 Canuck roster, but the sarcasm detector  has infected my computer) 

You'll have to find hockey db 2004 canucks if you want to see what I meant, sorry

things looked promissing 

and then it was over

Edited by lmm
  • Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, 2009cupchamps said:

Bertuzzi is worth way more than Dipeitro, Lind and Erickson so why would they trade their 6 for our 9th?

Little Bert is coming off major back surgery.  It’s caveat emptor with that guy.