The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Wild buying out Ryan Suter and Zach Parise

mll

2 minutes ago, 204CanucksFan said:

True, but smart players also look at a team's entire roster make up. And if it was me, looking at the teams entire line up even with McDavid and Draisaitl it would be a hard pass. Not even taking the City of Edmonton in to consideration. I see a team with very little cap space to make any additional improvements and with that they are going in to next season with a starting duo of, quite possibly, Mike Smith who will be 40 before next season ends and Mikko 'Glove Hand' Koskinen.

With no cap space to improve their goaltending, especially if they manage to resign one of Larsson or Barrie because it's one or the other, they absolutely can't afford both as they only have 10 forwards signed for next season, I think that is going to be the hardest part to explain to UFAs to attract them to sign.

If I am Suter, I look at the roster and see if Larsson gets re-signed.  If he does, I bank on myself being a much better overall defenceman than Barrie (who I am replacing).  If I'm capable of reducing the team's GAA by a margin where the team wins more of those close games (because face it, even at this age, Suter can play 20+ minutes a game effectively), then Edmonton may be a much better team overall. 

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

What are you talking about?  You asked why all the UFAs are not flocking to Edmonton and I'm saying due to the cap, Edmonton can't afford big ticket UFAs.  I'm not sure what your ramble has to do with what I'm saying?

I don't know either.  Too many things going on right now on CDC...  :frantic:

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

I don't know either.  Too many things going on right now on CDC...  :frantic:

Lol... wait until next week when it really kicks off with expansion and amateur draft 2 days apart!

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

If I am Suter, I look at the roster and see if Larsson gets re-signed.  If he does, I bank on myself being a much better overall defenceman than Barrie (who I am replacing).  If I'm capable of reducing the team's GAA by a margin where the team wins more of those close games (because face it, even at this age, Suter can play 20+ minutes a game effectively), then Edmonton may be a much better team overall. 

But I'd also be looking at the goaltending and realizing that Edmonton has precisely zero NHL quality goalies and a captain who refuses to backcheck.

Just now, BPA said:

Minnesota gonna suck hard.  Guess they will be tanking the next few years in hope to win the lottery (Wright/Bedard).

Why? Parise kinda sucked. Suter is a loss but at 36 he aint getting better. Each year he will drop off now. 

And they keep Dumba this way.

They need ELC contributions and guys to play up to their contracts though now especially that's for sure

5 minutes ago, BPA said:

Minnesota gonna suck hard.  Guess they will be tanking the next few years in hope to win the lottery (Wright/Bedard).

Playoffs still the goal.  Their roster players are in their prime - granted they have holes but this is just the start of the off-season.   They also don't want to lose Kaprizov who wants to play for a contender. 

Just now, HKSR said:

I completely agree about Suter being able to still play effectively and being better defensively than Barrie but does his 5 on 5 play and keeping a few more pucks out of the net at even strength make up for losing Barrie as a PP quarterback and his nearly 0.5 powerplay points per game?

It very well could, and maybe Nurse or now Keith can step in to that PPQB role but in 1.5 mins of PP time per game last season Nurse only put up 7 PP points all season. Sure he was on a much weaker PP2 in Edm but he just doesn’t have the same offensive acumen and isn't nearly as dynamic as Barrie. And Keith only put up 6 PP points last season sharing time on a PP1 in Chi that featured Kane, DeBrincat and Strome. He is definitely losing his touch as he approaches 40.

Just watched Fargo again, recently. These GM manoeuvres are something Jerry(the car salesman) might attempt.."We're NOT a bank, Jerry!..What the Hell were ya'thinkin'?!"

Meanwhile the whole Minny fanbase must feel they've got 3 yrs of woodchipper pain, comin' soon.

Ahh heck, this whole deal is kinda' funny-lookin'!

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, 204CanucksFan said:

I completely agree about Suter being able to still play effectively and being better defensively than Barrie but does his 5 on 5 play and keeping a few more pucks out of the net at even strength make up for losing Barrie as a PP quarterback and his nearly 0.5 powerplay points per game?

Absolutely.  Barrie is so much of a liability in his own zone that he doesn't belong in the NHL.  Replacing him with a good shutdown guy is a huge upgrade.  That being said, Edmonton still has so many problems that by the time they actually built a decent lineup, Suter would be challenging for the record for most games if he was still playing.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Absolutely.  Barrie is so much of a liability in his own zone that he doesn't belong in the NHL.  Replacing him with a good shutdown guy is a huge upgrade.  That being said, Edmonton still has so many problems that by the time they actually built a decent lineup, Suter would be challenging for the record for most games if he was still playing.

Barrie isn't THAT big of a liability in his own zone. He does manage to have nearly an even Corsi and Fenwick at 5 on 5 and was 2nd in  +/- among defencemen on the team despite putting up almost half his points on the PP. 

Is he a shutdown defender that makes scoring and playing difficult for his opponents every night? No. But he is still a solid 2nd pairing, PP1 defenceman in the NHL.