The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Mark Giordano left unprotected in expansion draft

13 minutes ago, rekker said:

Kraken not getting the Knights treatment. I hope Ron Francis is overplaying his hand.

he seems to be, but holy cow can they ever put together a good team if they want to spend. 

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

he seems to be, but holy cow can they ever put together a good team if they want to spend. 

The names out there are very intriguing for sure. Some age to the players, but nonetheless talent is there. 

1 minute ago, rekker said:

The names out there are very intriguing for sure. Some age to the players, but nonetheless talent is there. 

unless there's some kind of yet to be revealed side deal in place, Seattle should take Price to give their team a chance to win every night out of the gate. Add to that a guy like Gio that you can flip at the TDL if they stumble or if not go on a nice run and mentor a younger partner. Wow. 

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

unless there's some kind of yet to be revealed side deal in place, Seattle should take Price to give their team a chance to win every night out of the gate. Add to that a guy like Gio that you can flip at the TDL if they stumble or if not go on a nice run and mentor a younger partner. Wow. 

Looking at the lists coming out I wonder if Seattle doesn't take a whole bunch of players on expiring contracts to flip at the deadline. Load up for the 2022 draft. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Just now, rekker said:

Looking at the lists coming out I wonder if Seattle doesn't take a whole bunch of players on expiring contracts to flip at the deadline. Load up for the 2022 draft. 

yup they could very well do that. So many good players available this time, its quite the list. 

• Upvote 1

• -Vintage Canuck- changed the title to [Report] Mark Giordano left unprotected in expansion draft
12 hours ago, SilentSam said:

If Gio does move,  that’s a hell of a hole in the Saddledome.

It's true, but it'd also free up almost 7M a year early. Gio's pushing 38, that hole will be there sooner than later regardless. 

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

It's true, but it'd also free up almost 7M a year early. Gio's pushing 38, that hole will be there sooner than later regardless. 

7 mil is only good if you spend it wisely.

No guarantees any top UFA wants to go to Calgary. That means they might end up overpaying for someone who’s not that good.

12 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

7 mil is only good if you spend it wisely.

No guarantees any top UFA wants to go to Calgary. That means they might end up overpaying for someone who’s not that good.

It's true, but they're gonna have to decide on how to utilize that cap space sooner than later regardless. If Gio stays it doesn't hurt em much, if he goes it won't either, he's not long for the league anyway. 

Some of these reports. Like this one and Quick.   It’s kinda like well no shiz lol.

I get it, they use to be stars but they are just regressors with $ attached to them. Really they are no brainers 

Edited by Devron44
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Lots of big contracts being dangled, Seattle will surely bite on someone.

For me they should build around Landeskog rather than an old Price or Giordano.

How about all three?  If they take these guys and it doesn’t work out they can flip them for more assets.

2 hours ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

How about all three?  If they take these guys and it doesn’t work out they can flip them for more assets.

True, I'm just not sure if many teams will want an old Gio and they could just grab Kylington who's got more potential/possibly more trade value instead. Same could be said about Price, I'm not sure how many teams would trade for an older 10M now-injured goalie. Landeskog though would be much better to just keep him or trade him for a couple of 1sts and prospects.

6 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

True, I'm just not sure if many teams will want an old Gio and they could just grab Kylington who's got more potential/possibly more trade value instead. Same could be said about Price, I'm not sure how many teams would trade for an older 10M now-injured goalie. Landeskog though would be much better to just keep him or trade him for a couple of 1sts and prospects.

Kylington has already gone through waivers without being claimed.

Landeskog is a UFA.  Can't see Seattle picking up a player and convincing him to sign only to trade him a few days later.

Price has a full NMC.  Seattle can pick him up for themselves because he waived it but can't just move him further without his consent.  NTC/NMC now travel with the player.  

Edited by mll
  • Vintage 1