The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Oliver Ekman-Larsson | #23 | D

-AJ-

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

It’s a misrepresentative poll because there is no “none” option.  

OEL is in his prime.  That trade was a steal by Benning.  We got a top pair D, a top six winger, and dumped three bad contracts for Dylan Geunther who is obviously a bustaroo bonsai.  

We need our goalie to be as good as his opposite.  Then we will win.  

People are so worried about OEL's cap causing the problem down the road that they miss the important things.

OEL's defensive game is subtle but very effective. He aims to disrupt the play rather than aiming to take the puck away. Force them into taking a bad shot, force them to fumble the puck, angle them off to the corner boards and limit their options. 

This is how Lidstrom defended. Granted, Lidstrom had way better stick work and was superior in almost every way but if there is one player that embodies Lidstrom's style of defending, I will say it's OEL. And because OEL and Lidstrom type defencemen are less reliant on physical attributes, they last longer. 

The offence will come as time goes but with Hughes, OEL doesn't have to be the main play driver. He does need to get to 40+ points level and when that happens, this team will be scary good (and of course, Petey needs to get going for this team to go anywhere).

I think OEL will play a significant role for this team down the road for years to come.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

I'm loving the numbers, but I'm not sure OEL has completely passed the eye-test yet for me.

He's been good, not great. Defends well, but wish he were more physical. 

Obviously he's doing his job, though.

Really hope to see more offense out of him going forward. 

Edited by nergish

55 minutes ago, nergish said:

I'm loving the numbers, but I'm not sure OEL has completely passed the eye-test yet for me.

Yeah, physicality would be nice but it's just a different style of defending. I mean, would you expect Lidstrom to be more physical? Should he have laid a big hit on Todd Bertuzzi to avenge for getting his back folded in half in that series?

I know big hitting defencemen receive more attention and more pleasing on the eyes but guys like OEL with his stick work and disrupting the puck carrier are equally efficient in preventing scoring chances.

I just hope his scoring numbers would rise. He gets his shots through but maybe we need to go to the net more and guys to work on deflections? As I see it, the players are still getting used to each other and building up team chemistry. The points will come.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, khay said:

People are so worried about OEL's cap causing the problem down the road that they miss the important things.

OEL's defensive game is subtle but very effective. He aims to disrupt the play rather than aiming to take the puck away. Force them into taking a bad shot, force them to fumble the puck, angle them off to the corner boards and limit their options. 

This is how Lidstrom defended. Granted, Lidstrom had way better stick work and was superior in almost every way but if there is one player that embodies Lidstrom's style of defending, I will say it's OEL. And because OEL and Lidstrom type defencemen are less reliant on physical attributes, they last longer. 

The offence will come as time goes but with Hughes, OEL doesn't have to be the main play driver. He does need to get to 40+ points level and when that happens, this team will be scary good (and of course, Petey needs to get going for this team to go anywhere).

I think OEL will play a significant role for this team down the road for years to come.

Totally agree.  Just looking at his low injury profile and you can see how durable he will be over the next few years.

If you look at Edler's track record (who is still a decent player at 35yrs), you can see the amount of shot blocking and physical play is taking its toll on him. 

OEL has years of hockey left in him and he will continue to maintain his top 4 d status.

39 minutes ago, nergish said:

I don't think we'll ever see OEL as a physical D, but that is what will keep him healthy and playing top 4d over the next 5 years (which is the best case scenario for the Canucks).

I think OEL is being utilized as a shutdown and defensive dman.  His toi is outstanding. He is also on the 2nd PP, so he really isn't getting much in the way of offensive opportunities.  Hopefully, his offensive game will improve when the Canucks overall d have better defensive coverage. 

5 hours ago, Alflives said:

It’s a misrepresentative poll because there is no “none” option.  

OEL is in his prime.  That trade was a steal by Benning.  We got a top pair D, a top six winger, and dumped three bad contracts for Dylan Geunther who is obviously a bustaroo bonsai.  

We need our goalie to be as good as his opposite.  Then we will win.  

Lets see what u will say 3 - 4 years down the road. That 7M+ cap is alot. 

38 minutes ago, DontMessMe said:

Not worth at 7.26M. Thats my only issue. 

At the moment, that is true.  OEL needs to be putting up .5 pts a game to be worthy of that salary.  Seeing that this is the first time in his career that he is below that mark, we have to consider what is causing the sudden change (I discussed this in a prior post).  After all, if you look at point per game %, Hunt, Schenn and Myers are ahead of OEL, which really doesn't make sense at all.

A defensive deployment and little PP minutes, along with a huge TOI + PK  are having an effect on OEL's offensive #s, rather than anything to do with his ability to put up points. 

For now, we can be thrilled with his defensive game, but I am confidant his offensive game will improve as the team improves its overall defensive skill.

• Cheers 1

On 1/4/2022 at 7:17 PM, lmm said:

so he is playing better than Loui Ericksson?

OMG

Did anyone else notice that OEL and LE share a birthday?

LE is 6 years 0months, 0days, 0 minutes and 0 seconds older than OEL

and their mother's names are both Petra

Geez, no wonder OEL can't score

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

On 1/13/2022 at 2:12 PM, higgyfan said:

At the moment, that is true.  OEL needs to be putting up .5 pts a game to be worthy of that salary.  Seeing that this is the first time in his career that he is below that mark, we have to consider what is causing the sudden change (I discussed this in a prior post).  After all, if you look at point per game %, Hunt, Schenn and Myers are ahead of OEL, which really doesn't make sense at all.

A defensive deployment and little PP minutes, along with a huge TOI + PK  are having an effect on OEL's offensive #s, rather than anything to do with his ability to put up points. 

For now, we can be thrilled with his defensive game, but I am confidant his offensive game will improve as the team improves its overall defensive skill.

Yeah I was wondering about his production but you're 100% right, he's been deployed as a defensive defenseman, which is really a shame. But at the moment with Hamonic out, our options are pretty limited. Hopefully when Hamonic returns and/or we acquire another shutdown defenseman, OELs role can move back to offense-first. 

6 hours ago, eeeeergh said:

Yeah I was wondering about his production but you're 100% right, he's been deployed as a defensive defenseman, which is really a shame. But at the moment with Hamonic out, our options are pretty limited. Hopefully when Hamonic returns and/or we acquire another shutdown defenseman, OELs role can move back to offense-first. 

I was really hoping that if we were in the playoff hunt this year, we'd make a play at helping Vegas clear cap for Eichel by taking on McNabb for cheap. Clearly that's not happening, but man would someone like him look good as the missing piece on 3LD.

• Like 2

On 1/13/2022 at 1:27 PM, nergish said:

With the years on this board, I’ve figured out that the only fundamental reason the superstars who pass through town are view in either two ways: drafted, which then is “one of ours”, and everything else, which corresponds to “the other” by which none undrafted by us will ever be good enough.

The Canucks are the proprietor of OEL. The last time I was so excited for a trade was Luongo.

The Canucks have their top 2 Defensemen set for the next six years.

Ekman-Larson, Hughes, and Demko, are the least of the problems on this team on its climb toward the playoffs.

From what I’ve seen so far with Boudreau, is that the Canucks can danse with anyone. 

An Atlantic Division team is highly likely winning the Cup who’s season.

But boy would it be great to be losing in the Cup final. That would have to be considered a success, let alone making the playoffs.

Edited by Me_

Sorry 7 points isn’t good enough i don’t buy the deployment excuse he gets pp time he gets out in all situations 

he’s been Good defensively but 7.2 for defensive dman ouch.  

for example tanev is an excellent defensive dman with 9 points. 

and it’s not that he’s played bad he’s been good just think it was a very shortsighted a move that will cost us long term a JB specialty  like cap mismanagement. 

1 hour ago, combover said:

Sorry 7 points isn’t good enough i don’t buy the deployment excuse he gets pp time he gets out in all situations 

he’s been Good defensively but 7.2 for defensive dman ouch.  

for example tanev is an excellent defensive dman with 9 points. 

and it’s not that he’s played bad he’s been good just think it was a very shortsighted a move that will cost us long term a JB specialty  like cap mismanagement. 

I suppose the question is if JB could have reasonably forseen this drastic drop off in offense from OEL. Were there indications that his offense was going to evaporate? Can we hold JB accountable if there were no indications to the contrary?

19 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

I suppose the question is if JB could have reasonably forseen this drastic drop off in offense from OEL. Were there indications that his offense was going to evaporate? Can we hold JB accountable if there were no indications to the contrary?

I think it will be fine. We need Rutherford to keep building out our D, and getting younger and faster up front, and the team scoring more goals...and the assists will come. 

I was never expecting his past offensive numbers playing behind Hughes and being used more defensively because of it. Otherwise, far too early to determine what he looks like on an eventually better, Canucks team.