The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Lightning trade Tyler Johnson, 2023 2nd-round pick to Blackhawks for Brent Seabrook

3 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

It's totally BS. EVERYONE knows that Seabrook is not playing - much like the Clarkson contract.

Lightning takes on something to maximize its space. It's pure cap circumvention. Meanwhile, we're stuck with a Luongo retention + Ferland LTIR.

Time to trade Ferland for a 2nd to. Cap crunch team then we just don’t have to put him on LTIR to a team who doesn’t have a guy they can place and need the space

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Truth.

In before @Petey_BOI tries to explain to Tampa's GM why they don't want Seabrook's LTIR :P

Ferland for Palat/Killorn please!

Truth.  I mean, u typically can only win the cup once or twice by taking advantage of LTIR... otherwise it's a dreadfully bad thing for your team.  

So remember, you can only win the cup once or twice by doing this.  So it's bad mmmkay?

• Haha 1

Tampa did a salary dump (Johnson) and it cost them a second round pick and they cover the portion of Seabrook's salary not covered by insurance. They gain nothing with the LTIR just as we gain nothing with Ferland's LTIR.

“Seabrook's contract is likely insured, so the acquiring club would get 60 percent of his salary back from the insurance. It's usually 80 percent, but that drops to 60 percent once a player hits 35 years of age. 

5 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Why do teams keep helping Tampa out?

I think there's something to gain from this. When GMs are in desperate need of help, others will certainly take advantage of it, sure, but ultimately if all GMs just stood around watching a team be drowning in cap waters, I think that would be a bad look for everyone. I dunno.

It's just my theory that Winnipeg bailed out Vancouver with their trade for Schmidt. Benning's got a decent rep around the league. Cap space is definitely a luxury to have. That being said, I don't understand why Holtby wasn't in fact traded, instead of bought out, if my theory makes any sense.

Ah, i guess I'm just speculating.

Edited by Dazzle