The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Tucker Poolman

On 9/1/2021 at 3:26 AM, BigTramFan said:

Let's also remember that Poolman scored 16 pts in 57 games during the 2019-20 season (a 23 pt pace in 82 games) so he is not completely ineffective at scoring. That would have been the second highest point total for Dmen getting paid $2.5m that season (McNabb got 9 pts in 71 games that season and was a +1).

I think your focus is on one single stat from one single year, and that is not a fair reflection of the whole player (for both Poolman and McNabb).

Poolman played avTOI of 18:18 mins last season. Those are not sheltered 3rd pairing minutes. He was actually matched against tougher opposition (QoC rel Corsi For % = 0.311) in those minutes. 

He showed he is a very strong defender with even strength oiGA/60 of 2.0 and shorthanded oiGA/60 of 3.4. These are excellent defensive numbers from last season. This is actually exactly what VAN needs.

I think we should expect a guy that can easily handle 2nd or 3rd pairing minutes. Can be relied upon to be a defensive stay at home guy, block shots, hit, and play a mean PK. He also has some size to help him clear the crease. If he can do that well in VAN then he will be worth the $2.5m cap hit imo.

But he only had one point last year. :ph34r: 

:picard: Stuff like this really makes me wonder. Why would people be posting commentary like this when they don't even get the basics of hockey. Back in my day we watched hockey first (for many years) and then went on message boards to accentuate the experience. Reminds me of analytics these days. I guess nowadays you just read twitter and then parrot stuff on internet boards. They can watch start watching hockey in 10 years after they made their first $30 mil. :picard:

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 3

42 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

But he only had one point last year. :ph34r: 

:picard: Stuff like this really makes me wonder. Why would people be posting commentary like this when they don't even get the basics of hockey. Back in my day we watched hockey first (for many years) and then went on message boards to accentuate the experience. Reminds me of analytics these days. I guess nowadays you just read twitter and then parrot stuff on internet boards. They can watch start watching hockey in 10 years after they made their first $30 mil. :picard:

Message boards are littered with people that don't watch the games but just look at the 3 minute recap video and look at the boxscores. Not naming anyone in particular, as actually the average CDC poster is not like this but the Canucks' Reddit and Twitter on the other hand are. 

14 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Message boards are littered with people that don't watch the games but just look at the 3 minute recap video and look at the boxscores. Not naming anyone in particular, as actually the average CDC poster is not like this but the Canucks' Reddit and Twitter on the other hand are. 

What people lose sight of is you couldn’t run a defense of 6 poolmans nor could you run a d with 6 Hughes.  You need a variety of skill sets and mesh them together as a team.  Nobody complained about Rodmans ppg when the bulls were winning championships.

• Cheers 4

1 hour ago, Westcoastcanucks777 said:

So what’s the latest on Poolman?

He’s going to be wearing Dana Murzyn’s old #5 in Vancouver.

Not a lot of recent “news” on Poolman, since that PITB “deep dive” article posted above. It’s worth a read though.

Particularly, Poolman’s isolated impact heat charts are worth a look (included in that article). His 5v5 xGA/60 is really encouraging. If he can just maintain those suppression stats, the rest should take care of itself, and he’ll be a strong partner for either OEL or Hughes.

Looking forward to seeing how he looks at camp and through the exhibition games. Hopefully he finds good chemistry and clicks with his partner, forming a longterm, stable pairing in our top-4, either with OEL (most likely) or Hughes (a “plan B” option that I really think has potential to prove successful, if given the chance, and a partnership that might actually be “greater than the sum of its parts”).

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Cheers 3

5 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Not a lot of recent “news” on Poolman, since that PITB “deep dive” article posted above. It’s worth a read though.

Particularly, Poolman’s isolated impact heat charts are worth a look (included in that article). His 5v5 xGA/60 is really encouraging. If he can just maintain those suppression stats, the rest should take care of itself, and he’ll be a strong partner for either OEL or Hughes.

Looking forward to seeing how he looks at camp and through the exhibition games. Hopefully he finds good chemistry and clicks with his partner, forming a longterm, stable pairing in our top-4, either with OEL (most likely) or Hughes (a “plan B” option that I really think has potential to prove successful, if given the chance, and a partnership that might actually be “greater than the sum of its parts”).

Yeah, we'll see what Green and co decide, but I'm really starting to lean towards hoping they give Poolman and Hughes a good look and play Hamonic with OEL.

Just feel like Poolman's skating and defensive play might be in a similar vain to Tanev and better able to pace with Hughes. And Hamonic has shown capable of playing second fiddle on a top pair before as long as he's able to keep his game simple (with a competent partner, which OEL certainly is).

11 hours ago, Westcoastcanucks777 said:

So what’s the latest on Poolman?

9 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

On 9/2/2021 at 2:41 PM, The_Rocket said:

Good deep dive into Poolman can be found here 

TLDR:

THE GOOD: Poolman has good size and speed, decent gap control, strong defensive play when involved in a structured system, good at keeping chances away from the front of his net. 

THE BAD: Poolman can get overwhelmed or lost when matched up against elite players, is solid in his own right but doesn’t make up for his partners defensive short comings, poor counter-attack/transition game, doesn’t create offense. 

imo, given the cap hit and the places where Vancouver struggled last year, I really can’t complain. Solid signing for what he capable of bringing. He can play in the top 4 this year, but if the Canucks add a high end RHD at some point, his cap hit is low enough that you can easily justify reducing his role. 

This is a pretty good breakdown and makes some good points. I just wanted to touch on the scoring issue that gets a lot negatives. By looking at his stats I noticed that in his pre NHL years his point production isn't massive but decent at a little over .5 ppg. Good for a defensive dman. Conversely his goal scoring is quite good. 7,14,15,8,5,7 in consecutive years is above average and quite good for any defenceman really.

image.png.19053625f9aeb17ea087ac6c30635e68.png

When I compared his 2019-2020 regular season he sat in the 50th - 100th overall in goals per game range for defenceman. That's out of about 200 dmen with top 6 duties. Right around players like Seth Jones, Nurse, and Rasmus Dahlin. He also fell in at around the 75 - 110 mark in assists and scoring. Not bad at all. A lot of people seem to glance at low point totals for dmen and jump to conclusions without realizing that most dmen are on the ice to defend and the Barries and Q.Hughes are far and few between. Point totals are highly proportional to the teams and lines they play on, Lets also keep in mind he only has about a year experience in the league so he is basically just finished his rookie year. Also a minus 1 in 57 games and over his 3 NHL seasons on a middling team is impressive in itself.

Goals:

image.png.62188b993e797d34165e1f47d643a987.png

image.png.6186185ddfc4b2f2244628abf00ff9ab.png

image.png.c8d467ff28c65b822adb4d8d54fb4b0d.png

My Conclusion: A large mobile defenseman who can chip in 5-10 goals in an 82 game schedule and doesn't concede more goals then his team scores =

:metal:

image.jpeg.bdab94d0c69150aba00fa3428d7ff8b7.jpeg

image.png

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • Cheers 1

11 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I brought the idea up a while ago, but I think on paper Poolman and Hughes could make a pretty excellent pairing. I know most people have Hamonic slated to play with Hughes, but I feel a little safer with him and OEL together.

But with Poolman's 5v5 game and enough mobility to keep up with Hughes, I think they could lowkey be a really effective pairing.

• Cheers 3

2 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

This is a pretty good breakdown and makes some good points. I just wanted to touch on the scoring issue that gets a lot negatives. By looking at his stats I noticed that in his pre NHL years his point production isn't massive but decent at a little over .5 ppg. Good for a defensive dman. Conversely his goal scoring is quite good. 7,14,15,8,5,7 in consecutive years is above average and quite good for any defenceman really.

image.png.19053625f9aeb17ea087ac6c30635e68.png

When I compared his 2019-2020 regular season he sat in the 50th - 100th overall in goals per game range for defenceman. That's out of about 200 dmen with top 6 duties. Right around players like Seth Jones, Nurse, and Rasmus Dahlin. He also fell in at around the 75 - 110 mark in assists and scoring. Not bad at all. A lot of people seem to glance at low point totals for dmen and jump to conclusions without realizing that most dmen are on the ice to defend and the Barries and Q.Hughes are far and few between. Point totals are highly proportional to the teams and lines they play on, Lets also keep in mind he only has about a year experience in the league so he is basically just finished his rookie year. Also a minus 1 in 57 games and over his 3 NHL seasons on a middling team is impressive in itself.

Goals:

image.png.62188b993e797d34165e1f47d643a987.png

image.png.6186185ddfc4b2f2244628abf00ff9ab.png

image.png.c8d467ff28c65b822adb4d8d54fb4b0d.png

My Conclusion: A large mobile defenseman who can chip in 5-10 goals in an 82 game schedule and doesn't concede more goals then his team scores =

:metal:

image.jpeg.bdab94d0c69150aba00fa3428d7ff8b7.jpeg

image.png

Honestly, Poolman could score literally 0 points and I wouldn’t mind. Goal scoring won’t be a hughe issue for the Canucks this year. They should be more focused on keeping the picks out of their own net. Fortunately Poolman should help in this regard, compared to the player he is replacing….

image.thumb.png.90736d29b2d4670aba98fd185a5474f8.png

12 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

It will be interesting see how Poolman performs with OEL. It should actually be an easier assignment for him than playing with Morrissey…..

2C9FBCED-4D64-4606-9B36-7789DE72D408.png

1 hour ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I brought the idea up a while ago, but I think on paper Poolman and Hughes could make a pretty excellent pairing. I know most people have Hamonic slated to play with Hughes, but I feel a little safer with him and OEL together.

But with Poolman's 5v5 game and enough mobility to keep up with Hughes, I think they could lowkey be a really effective pairing.

Agree, but it also depends on what OEL we'll see. If OEL performs like a true top pairing D, QH will be on the second pairing with much easier deployment. Hamonic is more than capable of slotting in during those circumstances which is ways from what he was expected to do last season. So that's my dream scenario, OEL performs like a  #1D and then Poolman can play along and do the stay at home thing when it's needed although he's probably not a top pairing guy.

If OEL performs more like a #2-4D, then I agree, we'd probably have more like two 1B pairings on D and then OEL/Hamonic and QH/Poolman might make more sense.

2 minutes ago, The_Rocket said:

It will be interesting see how Poolman performs with OEL. It should actually be an easier assignment for him than playing with Morrissey…..

2C9FBCED-4D64-4606-9B36-7789DE72D408.png

That's true. Also, statistics is one thing, you also have to consider how bad ARI was vs WPG and that OEL was in a very bad situation. Let's see how OEL actually plays  before making judgements, but it's not far fetched to believe OEL is in another tier vs Morrissey and that Poolman will thrive both from his own contributions since he's a good match in Vancouver and from being partnered with a superior partner in OEL or QH.

15 minutes ago, J-P said:

That's true. Also, statistics is one thing, you also have to consider how bad ARI was vs WPG and that OEL was in a very bad situation. Let's see how OEL actually plays  before making judgements, but it's not far fetched to believe OEL is in another tier vs Morrissey and that Poolman will thrive both from his own contributions since he's a good match in Vancouver and from being partnered with a superior partner in OEL or QH.

These charts are supposed to account for quality of teammates and quality of competition, while also being isolated from the impacts of other players. 

that being said, it’s also just a one year history for each player. OEL still controls possession just fine, but something (whether it be injuries, age, system, or lack or caring) has caused him to be very permissive around the front of his own net.

im excited to see if he can regain form in Vancouver. If not, oh well. He’s still a fine #5 in my opinion. Overpayed, obviously, but he’s far less of a liability on the ice compared to what people make him out to be

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, The_Rocket said:

These charts are supposed to account for quality of teammates and quality of competition, while also being isolated from the impacts of other players. 

that being said, it’s also just a one year history for each player. OEL still controls possession just fine, but something (whether it be injuries, age, system, or lack or caring) has caused him to be very permissive around the front of his own net.

im excited to see if he can regain form in Vancouver. If not, oh well. He’s still a fine #5 in my opinion. Overpayed, obviously, but he’s far less of a liability on the ice compared to what people make him out to be

I get that but still feel the bad situation OEL was in with ARI is not reflected in stats. I do agree though that there are question marks around his performance defensively, really hope that the twins and JB are correct in their assumption that he'll bounce back.

• Cheers 1