The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[DEBATE] Which GOALIE in their prime are you taking?

Rate this topic

Which GOALIE in their prime are you taking?  

117 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

18 hours ago, hammertime said:

No doubt he was one of the all time greats. I just question how prime Dryden would perform in todays NHL. 

That's the trouble with comparing eras.

If guys like Dryden, Hall, Plante, Esposito, Bower, and Sawchuk had the same advantages (gear, training, etc) that more recent players like Roy, Brodeur and Price had, wouldn't it be reasonable to predict that they would still be among the elite?

• Cheers 1

On 8/29/2021 at 9:32 PM, Ghostsof1915 said:

Brodeur, not only a great goalie. They had to make rules so he couldn't handle the puck as well as he did. (The trapezoid) 

My choice as well.  Brodeur does more a team than Hasek ever did. Dude was carried to his Cup win by a stacked pre cap era Wings. They won one with Osgood ffs. 

On 8/29/2021 at 10:12 PM, goalie13 said:

I went with Dryden.  Probably my original favourite goalie.

Only played 8 years in the NHL, won a major award in seven of those seasons.

1 Conn Smythe

1 Calder

5 Vezinas

6 Stanley Cups

The Red Army team also would vote for Dryden (as the goalie they'd like to face).:P

Seriously though, the irony of him being originally drafted by the Boston Bruins of all teams (and trading him to the Habs for two nobody's).

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

As a goalie...how do I choose? An incredible case could be made for so many of these guys.

Hasek could steal a goal, a game, a series on any given night. He was jaw-dropping and instilled a sense of bewilderedness and disbelief in his opponents. 

Roy was one of the GOATs and just acted like a vacuum in the net, sucking up any chance of offense from the other team.

Look at Brodeur in his early years: he was acrobatic, then when the modern butterfly took over the game, he said "pas de problem, I can do that, too". 

How about Plante? His best years came when he was nearly 45 lol! I cringe at my joints acting up pulling the stuff he did. Perhaps one of the toughest men to play the game, too. 

Tretiak could have shattered records if he had had an NHL career. What we missed out by not seeing him play on this side of the world is a travesty.

Esposito, Dryden, and the 70's goalies, Sawchuk, Hall, Bower as the trailblazers before them.

Bernie Parent in 73-74 had 47 wins and a GAA under 2. Lol!

George Hainsworth in the 1920's posted GAA's under 1. Different game, but...under 1?

What about Nabokov?

Fuhr had a great team, but he played 79 games in 95-96. That's willpower mixed with a bit of white powder.

Even Tiny Tim (*shudders*) in his prime for those one or two years channeled his inner Hasek by stealing games, and his inner Roy by being (more than slightly) a nut-job.

Sorry, I went off. I've now got my list of highlights to peruse to psyche my old, slow ass up the next time I play.

As for the actual question? Hasek is the correct answer. I chose Tretiak just cuz he's underappreciated. Any of the goalies I listed above are not going to get an argument from me. Wrong answers include Tommy Salo, Dan Cloutier, and Greg Millen.

• Like 1

On 8/30/2021 at 7:31 PM, goalie13 said:

That's the trouble with comparing eras.

If guys like Dryden, Hall, Plante, Esposito, Bower, and Sawchuk had the same advantages (gear, training, etc) that more recent players like Roy, Brodeur and Price had, wouldn't it be reasonable to predict that they would still be among the elite?

I always look at it this way.   If Gordie Howe at what - 51? could score 40ish points his last year ... or whatever it was (won't bother checking), against guys 1/3 his age .... to make it really really simple since most on this sight got to see Iginla and Jagr when he came back...well Iginla was ok in the 90's, not much really, playing against guys in their mid-late 30's from the 80's who did better....and Jagr was a top player in the 90's, 2000's as well ...but already in his 30's...it's really not too difficult to track era to era if you take the blue chip stars in their swan song days and compare them to the next crops 22-26 years is it?   Just spend a little time and trace it back.   If Jagr was getting 70 plus points in his 40's coming back ...well isn't that what Seguin and Benn were averaging lol .... its that simple. 

Parent and Dryden were outstanding - and thanks to hockey historians we have save percentages for them now, same with Bower NHL days (and he's the only other pro goalie to have 600 wins)...Sawchuk?  We don't have his yet, but can't wait to see it.   Guy played entire series with under 1 - ONE - GAA.   Plus got a shutout every four wins  basically.   Why he's still considered the best ever by THNs famous list.  Hasek was 6.   Burned the brightest for a 4-5 year period ... but as far as careers go not at the top of the heap. 

Edit:

Hasek .922

Dryden .922

Bower  .922 

Edited by IBatch

8 hours ago, We Are All Cucks said:

As a goalie...how do I choose? An incredible case could be made for so many of these guys.

Hasek could steal a goal, a game, a series on any given night. He was jaw-dropping and instilled a sense of bewilderedness and disbelief in his opponents. 

Roy was one of the GOATs and just acted like a vacuum in the net, sucking up any chance of offense from the other team.

Look at Brodeur in his early years: he was acrobatic, then when the modern butterfly took over the game, he said "pas de problem, I can do that, too". 

How about Plante? His best years came when he was nearly 45 lol! I cringe at my joints acting up pulling the stuff he did. Perhaps one of the toughest men to play the game, too. 

Tretiak could have shattered records if he had had an NHL career. What we missed out by not seeing him play on this side of the world is a travesty.

Esposito, Dryden, and the 70's goalies, Sawchuk, Hall, Bower as the trailblazers before them.

Bernie Parent in 73-74 had 47 wins and a GAA under 2. Lol!

George Hainsworth in the 1920's posted GAA's under 1. Different game, but...under 1?

What about Nabokov?

Fuhr had a great team, but he played 79 games in 95-96. That's willpower mixed with a bit of white powder.

Even Tiny Tim (*shudders*) in his prime for those one or two years channeled his inner Hasek by stealing games, and his inner Roy by being (more than slightly) a nut-job.

Sorry, I went off. I've now got my list of highlights to peruse to psyche my old, slow ass up the next time I play.

As for the actual question? Hasek is the correct answer. I chose Tretiak just cuz he's underappreciated. Any of the goalies I listed above are not going to get an argument from me. Wrong answers include Tommy Salo, Dan Cloutier, and Greg Millen.

Good post.   I'm glad you mentioned Parent.   If you ignore his TO days early on, and just look at his PHI days - well he was the only goalie that could challenge Dryden back then.   On Dryden...to me he was close to Hasek ... save percentages don't lie.   

As for wins.   I have an issue with shootout wins going in the same column as wins for goalies.   Guys like Osgood, earned their 400 wins.    And really he should be in the HHOF - without him no final cup (was a front runner both late runs for the Conn Smythe against PIT) ... Lundqvist ... would he even have 400 wins if it wasn't for the shoot-out?  And for sure even though he sucked at it, Luongo would be where Sawchuk ended up if they were ties.    They need to taken off the top - and put in their own column, or with ties.   It's a team sport, not a skills competition. 

Which goalie had the best season ever? Well Plante did, at age 42, a save percentage of .942 - shattering Haseks best season of .937....also a guy that THN ranks ahead of Hasek - and for a reason.   Had other amazing seasons too.  He "dominates" the list of 35 wins and seasons with over .920 save percentage - well him and Dryden.    Other noteworthy guys - Glen Hall, in 56-57 had a sp of .928 and 38 wins. 

Or what about Esposito ... 38 wins and Sp of .932?  Or Parent...Broduer finally broke his record of 47 wins ... and he had a .932 sp that year - still better then Broduers and Luongo's record years...GAA of .189 lol in the 70's!!  I wouldn't say no to anyone picking him in "his prime"...actually the guys that "dominate this list" are Plante and Dryden.    Hasek is on it once.   Roy twice.  Broduer  twice.    And some of the save percentages are mind boggling ... Luongo made it once - same with Tim Thomas who's save percentage was .933, Haseks .930.    

Not to take anything away from Hasek, but can see why Plante was so highly regarded and why THN ranked him higher.   Already know why Parent and Dryden were, just via osmosis growing up.     Hasek ranked higher then both those guys but wow did they ever have some amazing seasons too. 

Edit:  I still picked Hasek lol...but can see and understand why anyone would pick Roy, Parent, Plante or Dryden too...or Sawchuk - his first four years seem to compare well too Haseks best four years as well.  

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Teemu Selänne said:

No one even compares to Hasek. Easy vote.

The guy literally carried Czeck Republic to a gold in 98’ and almost singlehandedly carried Buffalo to the cup finals a year later (that + Peca’s great post season play from what I remember).

Edited by Patel Bure

On 8/29/2021 at 10:12 PM, goalie13 said:

I went with Dryden.  Probably my original favourite goalie.

Only played 8 years in the NHL, won a major award in seven of those seasons.

1 Conn Smythe

1 Calder

5 Vezinas

6 Stanley Cups

Agreed.  He pretty much single handedly made the difference for Montreal against Boston (with Esposito and Orr no less) in his first Stanley Cup.  Called up for 6 regular season games and went on to win the Conn Smythe as the playoff mvp.

• Vintage 1

7 hours ago, Patel Bure said:

The guy literally carried Czeck Republic to a gold in 98’ and almost singlehandedly carried Buffalo to the cup finals a year later (that + Peca’s great post season play from what I remember).

Yea, multiple Hart trophies as a goalie, six Vezinas, Stanley Cup, like you said, carried a non contender to a gold in '98. Imagine being a GM and choosing Jimmy Waite over him. Ouch.

• Upvote 1

On 9/9/2021 at 7:09 AM, IBatch said:

Good post.   I'm glad you mentioned Parent.   If you ignore his TO days early on, and just look at his PHI days - well he was the only goalie that could challenge Dryden back then.   On Dryden...to me he was close to Hasek ... save percentages don't lie.   

As for wins.   I have an issue with shootout wins going in the same column as wins for goalies.   Guys like Osgood, earned their 400 wins.    And really he should be in the HHOF - without him no final cup (was a front runner both late runs for the Conn Smythe against PIT) ... Lundqvist ... would he even have 400 wins if it wasn't for the shoot-out?  And for sure even though he sucked at it, Luongo would be where Sawchuk ended up if they were ties.    They need to taken off the top - and put in their own column, or with ties.   It's a team sport, not a skills competition. 

Difference maker (Parent) when the Bruins tried to play the Flyers game in their battles in those years.  I could have the timelines wrong but this might've been around the time the Bruins lost Cheevers to the WHA (big loss for them).

• 2 weeks later...