The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Flames sign Erik Gudbranson

Erik Gudbranson is perhaps one of the least impressive shut down defenseman I have watched live.

I have been to 15 live games since 2016. I have seen a lot of defensive/shutdown/hitting defenseman either playing for the Canucks or against the Canucks. A lot of names were people who makes fun of online. The list of names includes Luca Sbisa, Roman Polak, Codi Ceci, Luke Schenn to name a few.

Luca Sbisa: I had my mind set that Sbisa is not a very good player going into the game. But after watching him played live just once, I understand why he still consider to have value by GMs. He does look better live than he does on TV. In live games, I notice he does seems to be at the right side of the puck more often than not. I can tell he is aware of what's going on around him. For some reason, he just looks a lot worse on TV, but I could have also been to one of his better games.

Roman Polak: Same with Sbisa. He was rumoured to be old and slow and a pylon by the time I went to a game. However, watching him playing for the Stars that game, I understand why he still has a job at the NHL level. He knows where to be and knows when to body check a player. May not be flashy, but GM/Coaches know what to expect of him.

Codi Ceci: Again, he gets ripped apart by a lot of fans on the internet. I watched him with the Senators one game and I actually think he was pretty decent player and knows where to be when a play develops. These are things you won't notice on TV, but in a live game situation and being in the building, you will notice it.

Luke Schenn: I went to his first game as a Canuck. It was against Anahiem on TDL. The day where Gudbranson was just traded for Pearson. Luke Schenn played because of the void Gudbranson left. I immediately notice how much better and effective he is than Gudbranson. I understand why he was drafted high. He may not be a flashy defenseman, but he is always on the right side of the puck, keeping the puck in the zone, getting the puck out and body checking opposing players at the right moment. These are all things we hope to see from Gudbranson, for years and I saw them all with Luke Schenn in his first game as a Canuck.

Now onto Gudbranson...

Unfortunately, Gudbranson doesn't seem to know what to do or where to be most of the games I have watched live. He never gave me the "ya, now I know why he is still in the NHL" vibe that I got from the names I mentioned above. Most of my memories of Gudbranson was just him getting caught out of position, sprawling on the floor and lead to a scoring chance or goal against. He has never manage to impress me in any of the games I have been to. I had more vivid memories of good plays made by guys like Tryamkin, Biega, Del Zotto, Pouliot and Hutton. If you ask me about Gudbranson from all the games I have watched, my most vivid memories of him was his fight with Michael Hayley. Other than that, was just his facial expression after he was on the ice for a goal against.

• Cheers 3
  • Haha 1

Gudbranson is the type of player who would have been a top 2/3 Dman in the 90's. Unfortunately that's not the game anymore. 

If put in the right pairing and right situations he could do well, its 2M but its only for a season. If it doesn't work oh well

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

21 hours ago, Salacious Crumb said:

5 years ago bro, let it go. What’s your interest level in the coming season?

Interest level is the same as it’s been for 30 years. I want this club to win. I want the young players to excel and get even better. 

Ive moved on and I hate the flames but mocking a gm for signing a depth d man for 1 year at 2 mill needed some perspective like how much we paid to acquire the same player    or you know like signing a depth d man for 4 years a 2.5 mill. (Poolman)

I find it hard to mock other gms while we have this one and his many terrible signing trades an moves (or lack of,  letting ufas leave for nothing) running the show here. 

Kinda like throwing stones from inside the glass house. 

• Wat 4

If Gudbranson could ever take himself seriously as a great hockey defender  in the NHL ,  he would be one.

He has all the abilities,  but his weaknesses have never gotten better.

As Horvat worked on his skating, realizing it could be better,   It turned him into a Bull with the puck.

Gudbranson has needed to work on his weaknesses and never has,.  Only hiding behind a “Willie Mitchel” stick that’s too long and a Grimace.

Wake up Eric..  where is the player I saw take the Panthers deep into the playoffs?

Get rid of those flat feet.

at least play with the radius and depth of grind in your blades.

Edited by SilentSam
  • Cheers 1

23 hours ago, combover said:

Almost as bad as 

Erik Gudbranson and a 2016 fifth-round pick to the Vancouver Canucks for center (1st rounder) Jared McCann, a 2016 second-round pick and a 2016 fourth-round pick. 

A bit misleading because McCann actually got moved around several times before he 'got it'. If there was something to criticize, it's the fact that they didn't understand McCann very well when they drafted him. He was not the character guy they were looking for, but took a gamble on skill. The trade for Gudbranson ended up being Pearson. Not a bad return.

Anyway, combover, seems like you're just biased about this GM because there have been awful trades around the league that you fail to point out, including our previous GMs.

Edited by Dazzle
  • Cheers 4

On 9/12/2021 at 4:12 PM, FutureFilm said:

Gudbranson is the type of player who would have been a top 2/3 Dman in the 90's. Unfortunately that's not the game anymore. 

If put in the right pairing and right situations he could do well, its 2M but its only for a season. If it doesn't work oh well

He might be the type of player that would of excelled in the 90s but I don't think he would have.  His issues are more about reads and puck handling as well as his pivots and turns.  

There is enough there to carve out a career and maybe a bit better than he has now, still would have been a disappointment for such a high pick.

That Flames D is going to be big and Sutter may be the coach who gets Gudbranson playing salvageable minutes because of his structure.  I think the Flames will be in tough in the regular season because speed will kill them, if they can make the playoffs though they are built to be a tough out much like Montreal.  

• Upvote 2

Well when I saw they'd hired Sutter last season I knew they must have the old Flames time machine out.

Forget about the Gudbranson signing here for a moment. When one travels back to the days of Sutter coaching and managing the show 

he ran the Flames into the ground. Mubbles has a short shelf life and with the age of some of the Flames players

they'll have a short shelf life too. 

This has become an old team with a seemingly low amount of up and coming prospect. If I were a flames fan I'd be pissed.

The back end seems weaker . 

I don't see this team doing much but picking up penalties for getting beat wide.

• Cheers 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, jovocop55 said:

At least flames will be tough team.  Him zadorov lucic tkachuk 

Also a lot of gutless cowards in the top six.  Tkachuk's not exactly known for being a man when it's time to answer the bell either.  Their skill will either be neutered by playing with plugs, or still easy to push around.

On 9/11/2021 at 10:41 AM, Honky Cat said:

Like the Canucks , the Flames had an off year last season...On paper, their team is still fairly talented..imo

Gaudreau-Lindholm-Tkachuk
Mangi-Monahan-Coleman
Pitlick-Backlund-Dube
Lucic-Richardson-Lewis
x: Ritchie, Gawdin

Hanifin-Tanev
Zadorov-Andersson
Valimaki-Gudbranson
x: Stone

Markstrom
Vladar

That team isn't very good. That second line? They can't put Lindholm and Monahan on the same line any more because of their lack of center depth. If they utilized their cap space in the future, it might make sense to make a pitch for Eichel that includes Backlund, a boatload of prospects and picks and then maybe another piece. That way, Gaudreau can play with Eichel while Tkachuk and Monahan can play with Lindholm. Then there's the D. Hanifin as their top guy? Really? With Tanev? Than there's Zadorov, who isn't a top four guy but they're trying to develop Valimaki. Markstrom is what holds the team together and Vladar is a decent backup. Overall, this team is way worse than we are. Probably a tweener.