The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Trevor Linden Hockey Hall of Fame?

Rate this topic

Nucks89

When he retired, he was top one hundred in scoring.   I do think if he never moved to center and remained a winger, he'd have another 70-80 goals which would push his stats.   But still not enough.   It's the HHOF - not the Hockey Hall of very good.   There are other guys much more deserving that haven't made it yet.   That said the bar does seem to keep getting lowered.   Dave Anderchyuk.    Feasted on the PP but was never dominant.   Even Mark Recchi.  

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Iron Fist said:

No, he didn't win any personal awards. He wasn't the best player in the game at any point in his career. Naslund probably has better chance, but even him no. They should both be in ring of honour and not retired jerseys

Might be the homer in me but (imho), he was among the better forwards for Team Canada in Nagano. 

https://www.cbc.ca/player/play/867899459976/

But yeah, retire his number at Rogers but no Hall of Fame for him (imho).

• Vintage 1

12 minutes ago, tas said:

he would either need about 5 cups or 50% more career points to even be considered. 

Naslund actually has a better case.  Won a Pearson, and three first string all-star berths in the dead puck era.   But what he didn't do - was post season stuff.  Linden was pretty darn good at that - best in franchise history at least.   

• Cheers 1

Cup in 94 HHOF he was that close, regular season stuff is icing.  Only two goals in game 7 and his body was a mess

Edit: he was built for the playoffs and only got better in them while the chaff disappeared, Sedins, Naslund and Bertuzzi do not hold a candle to Linden in the playoffs, only Bure was able to maintain regular season performance in the playoffs whereas Linden went into beast mode.  Greatest Canuck ever

Edited by bbllpp
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

No and no. His play on the ice isn't even close to getting him in the Hall and his only chance would be if he was a coach or in team management and the combined part of both of those getting him in.

His play in the post season is close to getting him into the HHOF.     Which is what matters most. 

• Wat 1

14 minutes ago, IBatch said:

His play in the post season is close to getting him into the HHOF.     Which is what matters most. 

It is what matters most, but I still don't think it's close personally. He had one run past the second round and although it was great, I think if you're gonna focus on playoff performance as a metric, you'd want more playoff success. Linden's teams had a 45.97% win percentage in the NHL playoffs and although he stepped up his game in playoff times, I don't think it brings him close enough to compete with HHOF levels. Bo Horvat may end up in the same boat. He's shown that he can elevate his game in the playoffs, but I don't think he'll ever get into the Hall, even if he wins the Conn Smythe with 20 points in 21 games in a Cup win or something. You need more than one good run and the regular season matter too.

31 minutes ago, bbllpp said:

Cup in 94 HHOF he was that close, regular season stuff is icing.  Only two goals in game 7 and his body was a mess

Edit: he was built for the playoffs and only got better in them while the chaff disappeared, Sedins, Naslund and Bertuzzi do not hold a candle to Linden in the playoffs, only Bure was able to maintain regular season performance in the playoffs whereas Linden went into beast mode.  Greatest Canuck ever

is 0.80 ppg really that much better than 0.74 ppg?

There is the back to back Memorial Cups, and the Gold Medal in 1988 Team Canada. 

He would win every level except the NHL. 

The problem isn't he wasn't a good player or good person. 

It's the bar to get into the Hall of Fame is damn high.

However, Trev's numbers slaughter Dick Duff. 

But Duff's 6 cups is what put him in the Hall.

So it depends on your criteria. And the Hall seems to favour Stanley Cups.