The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | Quinn Hughes - Contract Discussion Thread

Rate this topic

Bertuzzipunch

37 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

i honestly think benning is trying to lowball him for the 3 year bridge.. there's no way they'll give him a 5 year contract with just 1 year of UFA in there and then he can walk. 

benning prolly look for a 3 year x 6-6.5 EP prolly want something like 4 or 5x 8-8.5 or 3 year at 7-7.5

I’d rather have him at 5 years on a good deal than him wanting 10-11 mil when his 3 year deal is up.

Gives us a bigger window to ice a deep roster. If he wants to walk when he’s 27 we’ll trade him in the last year of his deal.

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, stawns said:

that's a pretty big

Stretch Armstrong 90S GIF

The facts don't think it's a stretch. 

Calder runner up 

Record for canucks rookies (not just dman) for most assists 

Most points by a rookie defenseman since nick Lidstrom (and if the season wasn't cut short due to covid would have actually had more points then even him) 

3rd defenseman in history to lead the rookie scoring race (other 2 were scrubs Leetch and Orr) 

So ya please elaborate how is it a stretch? Let alone a big stretch? Who else is comparing to him? He will probably hold every single defenseman scoring record for a canuck in half the amount of games as anyone else.

Why anyone would want to lose a player of this magnitude over a difference of a couple million in cap hit is nonsensical. I stand by my point, thank God people like you aren't in charge.

Edited by cdgraham
  • Cheers 3

46 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I’d rather have him at 5 years on a good deal than him wanting 10-11 mil when his 3 year deal is up.

Gives us a bigger window to ice a deep roster. If he wants to walk when he’s 27 we’ll trade him in the last year of his deal.

No way we'd trade him in the final year. Hang onto him so he can sign in Calgary for nothing.....

30 minutes ago, cdgraham said:

Calder runner up 

Most points by a rookie defenseman since nick Lidstrom (and if the season wasn't cut short due to covid would have actually had more points then even him) 

3rd defenseman in history to lead the rookie scoring race (other 2 were scrubs Leetch and Orr) 

So ya please elaborate how is it a stretch? Let alone a big stretch? Who else is comparing to him? He will probably hold every single defenseman scoring record for a canuck in half the amount of games as anyone else.

Why anyone would want to lose a player of this magnitude over a difference of a couple million in cap hit is nonsensical. I stand by my point, thank God people like you aren't in charge.

Because I think it's a stretch to say he might not be, without question, the most talented Canuck dmsn ever?  They've had some pretty great dmen over the years, with a lot of talent at both ends of the rink 

33 minutes ago, cdgraham said:

Calder runner up 

I might agree with the most talented offensive dman they've had.  But I might not

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

Personally I'd refuse to even consider a 5 year deal and would rather Benning make him sit until he's willing to either sign a bridge or an actual long term contract.  Dumbass bending over for Captain Underpants really screwed things up for the rest of the league.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

12 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

8x8 for Hughes would be awesome. I have no idea why you think that would be the end of Boeser and Motte, please provide your projections and the math you're basing it on.

Boeser will be going into his 3 contract year, meaning we will need to buy his UFAs years. If he continues to score at a 40 goals pace. You’re looking at 7-9M on his next contract (with term).

Hughes = 8M

Boeser = 8M

Pettersson = 6-7M (Bridge)

OEL = 7M

That’s 29-31M on only 4 players.

12 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

lol did i suggest he's getting 8+ on a bridge? .83 is close to .93? then might as well say .73 is close to .83 and so on and so on. so because the season cut the season down = he never played a full season? 68 out of 69 games + the play in 1st round then add 2 more playoff round on top looks more than enough for a full season to me. by your standard makar never should have won the calder nor should he even be in the conversation for norris since he's always injured

That’s literally a 10-15 points differential, in a single season.

Edited by shiznak

6 hours ago, stawns said:

Because I think it's a stretch to say he might not be, without question, the most talented Canuck dmsn ever?  They've had some pretty great dmen over the years, with a lot of talent at both ends of the rink 

The point is he is clearly in the conversation and it's not a stretch to say he is. 

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

Depends what you consider talented for a dman I guess.  Offense is lower down my list

quinn hughes does things every shift, while making it look ordinary, that no other defenceman in 50 years of canucks hockey had the talent to do by himself during practice. 

he needs time to develop in the defensive zone, like all young defencemen (even hedman took time), and quinn has had only two abbreviated seasons under ridiculous circumstances to do that. his intelligence, positioning, skating and stick skills mean that he'll be fine defensively.

it's not close. there is no other defenceman in team history that can hold a candle to hughes's talent. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, tas said:

quinn hughes does things every shift, while making it look ordinary, that no other defenceman in 50 years of canucks hockey had the talent to do by himself during practice. 

he needs time to develop in the defensive zone, like all young defencemen (even hedman took time), and quinn has had only two abbreviated seasons under ridiculous circumstances to do that. his intelligence, positioning, skating and stick skills mean that he'll be fine defensively.

it's not close. there is no other defenceman in team history that can hold a candle to hughes's talent. 

Again, depends what you consider talent.  It's also much easier to do the things he does in this era compared to other more physical eras.  As far as skill goes, I'd bet Lumme would be right there if he played now.

Again, for me, its not about offense as much as it is talent at both ends of the rink

On 9/10/2021 at 8:11 PM, Sean83 said:

Not sarcasm at all.  I'm an excellent judge of character.  I didn't think much of it prior to this temper tantrum by EP but it's all making sense to me now.  Go back and watch EP's old interviews on Youtube or with local sports media.  There's one in particular with EP and Brock Boesser.  You can tell BB is really a team player but EP is clearly only out for numeral uno.  He's hated being on this team since Day #1.  Just go back and listen to his interviews.  Note the tone of his voice.  He hates Vancouver for some reason and wants out ASAP.  He is downright miserable about being a Canuck.

Before you bash this post, go back and watch some of his Canucks promo stuff.  Does any of it send a message to you of a guy who wants to be here even one iota?

Quinn, I can understand.  He just wants to go play with his bros in New Jersey.  He's not self-entitled or "crap doesn't stink" kind of guy like EP is.

Also of note, Sidney Crosby and Connor McDavid complain not one iota about having to play in cities not anywhere near world-class like Pittsburgh and Edmonton.  Meantime, we're stuck with this selfish clown.

The fact that neither one is even close to signing with us lends great credence to my thoughts, unfortunately. 

Either way, I wish it weren't so, as we could have won a cup with these 2, but they don't want to be here like, at all.  So, alas, we are screwed (like usual for Canucks fans). 

This is so many shades of garbage.  Do NOT try to speak for our players. 

If you're making character assessments from interviews in a language new to a player who is obviously a bit awkward and new to it all, that's on you not them.  

"He's hated being on the team since day #1"?   

A selfish clown? 

Quite trolling.  I, too, am an excellent judge of character from reading between the lines.  

Can you point out where either of these two have "complained about having to play in (this) city"?  I'll wait.

• Cheers 3
  • Vintage 1