The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | Quinn Hughes - Contract Discussion Thread

Rate this topic

Bertuzzipunch

3 minutes ago, cuporbust said:

If they are not taking term, what what hell else are they talking about? There is a certain amount of cap space they have.  How could is possibly be complicated?

It's just a poker game.   Both will try their bluff at the start - and late in the game too.   JB wouldn't be doing his job if he agreed to stupid d!ckhead master agent at the start.   Would he?  Imagine whatever deal that would be ... goodbye Miller before the season started and might as well just get Dubas to manage these guys.   CDC needs to relax it's getting a little overbearing.   EP .... well guess what.   Because JB ALWAYs overpays - EP will get like 7.75 x 3.   Whoopie.  Cue the complainers.  Also QHs will get something like 7.75 x 4/6  Also cue the complainers and on this one yes  maybe they should.   Both guys will be there opening night i have zero doubt.    They will find the "middle ground".   Makes zero sense for either to sit out.   Also makes zero sense for JB to take such a hard ass stance that they don't play too.  On the latter - R E S P E C T if he does. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, DS4quality said:

This should have been done months ago...

Yes.... but you can't hold a gun to their head. If their agent says 11+ or whatever, they have to negotiate. And there is very little that JB can do. EP and QH are after big money.... otherwise it would have been settled months ago. 

• Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

OK, them's fightin' words.

Yeah Jack is trying to do Quinn a solid here... but in reality Quinn got walked many times last year. The defence argument is a valid one. The funny thing is all this banter of "the number has to be right etc".. that has to apply to both sides. No one is asking for EP or QH to be underpaid. The agent (and Jack) are likely asking for an overpayment.

• Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

OK, them's fightin' words.  Cute that he talks about our team being one of the worst...yet they finished well above the Devils and their measly 45 point season (and we had our star player out and the worst bout of COVID).  

He needs a good hip check this year.

He's not wrong? The Canucks were one of the worst teams in the league last year. 

Idk why everyone's so defensive when it comes to this team, The Senators had more points than the Canucks last year. They've won 1 playoff round under Benning. 

It's ok to have rose coloured glasses on 24/7, as a fan you can view the team as the defending 10 time champs if you'd like. But I dont know where to take offence when players say things that aren't wrong? If the Canucks were in the top half of the league and Jack said that then sure claws out. 

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, Zhukini said:

He's not wrong? The Canucks were one of the worst teams in the league last year. 

Idk why everyone's so defensive when it comes to this team, The Senators had more points than the Canucks last year. They've won 1 playoff round under Benning. 

It's ok to have rose coloured glasses on 24/7, as a fan you can view the team as the defending 10 time champs if you'd like. But I dont know where to take offence when players say things that aren't wrong? If the Canucks were in the top half of the league and Jack said that then sure claws out. 

He's not wrong but why do we need to hear from him at all?  Yes, we weren't very good last year but the point is that we want to be good this year and going forward.  And that requires players to attend camp and in general to put the team's interests ahead of their own.  Holding out through training camp in order to squeeze out the very last dime is low class in my opinion.  Hasn't happened yet and they could sign any time, and I hope they do, but if they miss camp that's not good for the team and ultimately the players too.  GCG!

Edited by nux_win
grammar
  • Vintage 1

19 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

OK, them's fightin' words.  Cute that he talks about our team being one of the worst...yet they finished well above the Devils and their measly 45 point season (and we had our star player out, THE worst schedule in the league and the absolute worst bout of COVID).  

He needs a good hip check this year.

Of which QH was a huge part of.  Not like they were bad in spite of Hughes play.......his play was a huge part of why they under performed.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

Here's the math I'm doing on future Salary, based on my idea of 3 year, 7.5 million to Pettersson and 6.5 million to Hughes. Looking at 2024/25 primary players, based on what I think Hughes and Pettersson will sign as their 8 year contracts. I'm working off the NHL's projection that cap will rise 1 million per for the next few years, meaning that we'll have 84.5 million to play with in that season.

Forwards:

Pettersson - 10.5 million Per

Boeser - 8 million per (likely 8 years)

Horvat 7 million per (likely 8 years)

Miller or Miller replacement 5 million per I'm assuming that he will eventually be pushed out by younger / cheaper player. Maybe Klimovich??

Garland 4.95 million per

Dickinson 3 million per or similar player. He may be squeezed out by one of our upcoming by then at a lower cap hit.

Motte 2.5 million - or similar player, I'm assuming that he will eventually be squeezed out by younger guys playing similar game

Hoglander 5 million per - I'm assuming a bridge deal on this one, same as Pettersson and Hughes

Podkolzin - 5 million per - I'm projecting his 2nd contract and assuming that it will likely be a bridge deal

Total for Top 9 Forwards, 50.95 million

Defense:

OEL 7.26 million

Hughes 9 million

Rathbone 3.0 million - will sign a bridge deal, has no arbitration rights and can't get an offer sheet

Juolevi 2.5 million

Poolman I think will eventually be traded and replaced at similar cap hit, possibly to make room for Woo

Total top 4 Defense: 21.76

Demko - 5 million - I'm assuming that we will carry one primary and a sub 1 million backup moving forward. Unless DiPietro proves he's better than Demko, DiPietro will eventually be moved for picks or prospects. I think we ride Demko at least till the end of his current contract.

Total 78.71

That leaves 6.79 million to round out the roster, not accounting for LTIR, which happens every year, or other changes.

This is just my estimate, there will be trades and moves. I don't think Myers will be here till the end of his contract and it's very likely someone on my forward and defense projections will be moved to spread out cap space, the same as all competitive teams do. Look what has happened in Tampa the last few years on moving guys out to make room.

Go ahead and rip it to shreds :)

38 minutes ago, T_Linden said:

It all seems so unnecessarily complicated. Get all involved parties in a room together and lay out all the available options and don’t leave said room until the contracts are signed. If the team wants the players and the players want to still be here (which is almost certainly the case), there should be no reason such a discussion couldn’t take place. 

I will be losing a lot of respect for all parties involved if any hockey (even camp) is missed.

You have to provide them with lots of coffee and refuse to let them have bathroom breaks. Then things move quickly :)

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

Why don’t players tell their brothers/families to STFU about their contract negotiations. It’s never helpful (see Tkachuks) and causes a lot of unnecessary criticism. Although here Jack should be considered somewhat of an expert on playing for one of the worst teams in the league. So yeah, he’s got that going for him.

Right??!

It seems a little immature to be truthful.  NO player is bigger than the team.

• Cheers 2

19 minutes ago, Zhukini said:

He really should focus on HIS crappy team though.  He's not in a position to look down on other teams until his is at least...ahead of them?

What do the Senators have to do with this?

Did you miss the part about:  Petey being out?  COVID hitting hard?  The WORST schedule in the league?  Oh right...dark glasses on.

Just now, -DLC- said:

He really should focus on HIS crappy team though.  He's not in a position to look down on other teams until his is at least...ahead of them?

Well Jack is an RFA next offseason.

The media better ask Quinn about his brothers negotiation after the Devils finish bottom 5 yet again.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Here's the math I'm doing on future Salary, based on my idea of 3 year, 7.5 million to Pettersson and 6.5 million to Hughes. Looking at 2024/25 primary players, based on what I think Hughes and Pettersson will sign as their 8 year contracts. I'm working off the NHL's projection that cap will rise 1 million per for the next few years, meaning that we'll have 84.5 million to play with in that season.

Forwards:

Pettersson - 10.5 million Per

Boeser - 8 million per (likely 8 years)

Horvat 7 million per (likely 8 years)

Miller or Miller replacement 5 million per I'm assuming that he will eventually be pushed out by younger / cheaper player. Maybe Klimovich??

Garland 4.95 million per

Dickinson 3 million per or similar player. He may be squeezed out by one of our upcoming by then at a lower cap hit.

Motte 2.5 million - or similar player, I'm assuming that he will eventually be squeezed out by younger guys playing similar game

Hoglander 5 million per - I'm assuming a bridge deal on this one, same as Pettersson and Hughes

Podkolzin - 5 million per - I'm projecting his 2nd contract and assuming that it will likely be a bridge deal

Total for Top 9 Forwards, 50.95 million

Defense:

OEL 7.26 million

Hughes 9 million

Rathbone 3.0 million - will sign a bridge deal, has no arbitration rights and can't get an offer sheet

Juolevi 2.5 million

Poolman I think will eventually be traded and replaced at similar cap hit, possibly to make room for Woo

Total top 4 Defense: 21.76

Demko - 5 million - I'm assuming that we will carry one primary and a sub 1 million backup moving forward. Unless DiPietro proves he's better than Demko, DiPietro will eventually be moved for picks or prospects. I think we ride Demko at least till the end of his current contract.

Total 78.71

That leaves 6.79 million to round out the roster, not accounting for LTIR, which happens every year, or other changes.

This is just my estimate, there will be trades and moves. I don't think Myers will be here till the end of his contract and it's very likely someone on my forward and defense projections will be moved to spread out cap space, the same as all competitive teams do. Look what has happened in Tampa the last few years on moving guys out to make room.

Go ahead and rip it to shreds :)

This looks good except imo your low balling Petey’s next contract