The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | Quinn Hughes - Contract Discussion Thread

Rate this topic

Bertuzzipunch

5 minutes ago, ohmy said:

On a bridge deal there should be no way Hughes gets 7. Long term your right, short term no way.

The precedent is definitely there for long term… Heiskanen at 8.5 and Makar at 9 probably puts Quinn somewhere in the 8/year range (which I don’t think is surprising to anyone at this point). 

You gotta think Dahlin’s deal sets the floor for short term. I could see Hughes pushing a little higher, maybe 3x6.75. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, J-Dizzle said:

The precedent is definitely there for long term… Heiskanen at 8.5 and Makar at 9 probably puts Quinn somewhere in the 8/year range (which I don’t think is surprising to anyone at this point). 

You gotta think Dahlin’s deal sets the floor for short term. I could see Hughes pushing a little higher, maybe 3x6.75. 

Yeah I could see that being the ask right now and the Canucks wanting 3×6.25, can't see them going higher than 6.5 but who knows. It's a weird negotiation because if one player gets more then in theory the other player gets less. That's why I think its a little dirty representing 2 stars on the same team. They know they have the team over a barrel in a sense. The can negotiate in so many different ways but hard to get multiple sides to agree. Thays why we see so few multi team trades.

2 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

So one of the things that's stuck out for me is Drance saying there's an feeling amongst everyone that the deals for both guys can't be far apart from each other. So if Hughes won't agree to 8x8, then;

Hughes 3 x 6.75 - structured w/ 8M qualifying offer

Pettersson 3 x 7.25 - structured w/ 10M qualifying offer

The Hughes contract suggestion is possible under the CBA.  The Pettersson one isn’t.  If his AAV is $7.25m the qualifying offer maxes out at $8.7m (120% of the contract AAV) 

• Thanks 1

Just now, ohmy said:

Yeah I could see that being the ask right now and the Canucks wanting 3×6.25, can't see them going higher than 6.5 but who knows. It's a weird negotiation because if one player gets more then in theory the other player gets less. That's why I think its a little dirty representing 2 stars on the same team. They know they have the team over a barrel in a sense. The can negotiate in so many different ways but hard to get multiple sides to agree. Thays why we see so few multi team trades.

Yeah I think the QH one has gotta be close. My guess is the Petterson negotiation is the more difficult one, the comparables are a little more ‘various’ for him than they are for Quinn I think. 

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, J-Dizzle said:

I would way rather have those dman over Hughes. You cant pay him that kinda money until he learns how to defend 

56 minutes ago, ohmy said:

On a bridge deal there should be no way Hughes gets 7. Long term your right, short term no way.

if dahlin 26 points -36 gets him 6mil on a bridge good luck convincing hughes he's barely worth more than dahlin based on stats alone regardless of how bad buffalo is.. considering the canucks were almost as bad defensively. as terrible as buffalo is they only gave up 11 more goals than the canucks

1 hour ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

I'm with Friedman on this take from yesterday when he talks about locking up cornerstone players.

Starts at 9:04. Good take imo. 

Yup totally agree .

the price will only go up. Cornerstone pieces should have been done long ago. Playing hard ball with the two best players at this point will only breed long term contempt. 
100% on the management , lame way to start a season especially for a team that’s been a bottom feeder and needed some good news. 

• Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, combover said:

Yup totally agree .

the price will only go up. Cornerstone pieces should have been done long ago. Playing hard ball with the two best players at this point will only breed long term contempt. 
100% on the management , lame way to start a season especially for a team that’s been a bottom feeder and needed some good news. 

Agree. We finally have two franchise players in place and we need to pay them what they're worth. And if we need to move a bottom contract, that's what needs to happen. 

29 minutes ago, combover said:

Yup totally agree .

I go backwards and forwards on this. Did Benning not prioritize signing them, or did he want to build a winning team first (ie getting out of the bad contracts, signing Dickinson, garland etc) to show Petersen that they should want to sign long term because Canucks are committed to building a winner? 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

I’m still okay to have Petey and Hughes sit out at least 10 games in order for them and the Canucks to try to settle on a fair deal. These will be BIG contracts and even lessening the amounts by a little will go a far way to help us stay competitive down the road and keep other talented players.

In the meantime, Rathbone can show what he’s made of offensively and we have plenty of top forwards to see what different combinations look like.

When Hughes and Petey do eventually sign and return, it’ll be a healthy injection of talent to take us over the top.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, austy said:

I go backwards and forwards on this. Did Benning not prioritize signing them, or did he want to build a winning team first (ie getting out of the bad contracts, signing Dickinson, garland etc) to show Petersen that they should want to sign long term because Canucks are committed to building a winner? 

I get Dickinson and building a winner but doesn’t that mean you need to have your two best players in the lineup . 
these two are part of the core group and the foundation to build up from.

signing support players is great if they have someone to support. 

I think till get worked out but at what cost now 

We needed a positive feel good camp

after the disaster last season. Now this camp has started with a cloud over it and it’s Vancouver so if there’s a cloud the rain isn’t far behind.  

• Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, fanfor42 said:

This holding out crap happens every year. The only unique thing about this situation is QH end EP and BT are all hanging out and holding out together.

That is not only unique  - but kind of sickening.

EP, QH, and BT holding hands like the Whos singing in Whoville ... ;)

spacer.png

Edited by Dr. Crossbar

3 hours ago, austy said:

Gunna be pressure on them with this holdout and Pettersson's comments in the summer.

They've made the team better so we can win. Pettersson is the best player, and obviously wants to be paid like a franchise player. 

They will be counting on (and paying) him to be the driver. The support should be good enough to make this a good team, but ultimately your best players make the difference. They both need to be better than last year for this team to be a winner. 

• Cheers 1