The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | Quinn Hughes - Contract Discussion Thread

Rate this topic

Bertuzzipunch

9 minutes ago, MNaslund?? said:

Do you think I guy like Naslund or Linden or the Sedins would be taking pictures like this when they were unsigned RFA’s in the midst of a complicated deal.  It’s not really a big deal but it doesn’t scream Canucks commitment  

I mean if you want to get nitty gritty, None of those guys won a cup either so….. 

• RoughGame 2

50 minutes ago, J-Dizzle said:

So should they just take a smaller salary because the world isn’t what it was 18 months ago? I’m not sure that’s really a fair expectation….

What I said was, I think “the heat around this is heightened because of the current cultural moment.” And that them posing for photos is a middle finger to a fan base waiting on them. 

I said nothing about salary.

Although I do think their demands on salary should be tempered by things like: still being restricted, the desire to have a winning team, team’s current cap space, and getting on the ice for training camp. But I know that’s all wishful thinking. 

41 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Going to a football game is flaunting?  :lol:

Alf, we think alike in a lot of matters but you’re not getting this. These two players are not taking part in Training camp while the rest of the team is getting bag skated to hell. Instead, they are enjoying a nice sporting event as fans and flaunting it all over social media. It’s in bad taste. 

• Huggy Bear 1
  • Vintage 1

Trade BOTH of these players ASAP.. except they arent signed yet ... so we cant trade them ? LOL..  I am pretty done with both these flakes.

PTERSON MADE OF GLASS NEVER FINISHED A SEASON YET IN HIS CAREER . STRONG GUST OF WIND BLOWS HIM OVER.

QUIN HUGHES LOOKS 15 YEARS OLD. MINUS 150 last season.. dont care if he got points.. the POINT of the game is to get more goals for then against ... Quin fails at this stat very badly.

DAHLIN > HUGHES

puts hughes at 5.5m per season IF WE ALWAYS JUST USE COMPARABLES

• Wat 1
  • RoughGame 1

10 minutes ago, Grape said:

There are many perks to having row A student section seats to Michigan Football games. Did not expect (politely) yelling at Quinn and Petey to sign their contracts to be one of them.

They both gave me a look so my takeaway is that I either did my part or they’re never signing with Vancouver.

Doing the lord’s work. 

• Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, TheNewGM said:

Trade BOTH of these players ASAP.. except they arent signed yet ... so we cant trade them ? LOL..  I am pretty done with both these flakes.

PTERSON MADE OF GLASS NEVER FINISHED A SEASON YET IN HIS CAREER . STRONG GUST OF WIND BLOWS HIM OVER.

QUIN HUGHES LOOKS 15 YEARS OLD. MINUS 150 last season.. dont care if he got points.. the POINT of the game is to get more goals for then against ... Quin fails at this stat very badly.

DAHLIN > HUGHES

puts hughes at 5.5m per season IF WE ALWAYS JUST USE COMPARABLES

Lol. Basically everything in this post is factually incorrect.

what I am saying is they are both great YOUNG players with alot of potential but they have not done anything yet to warrant big contracts. PERIOD., and yes pettersson has been injured at least once in every season since he started. and hes 180 pounds. I weighed that when i was 15, and not cause im fat.

So what should they be doing? Training hard and bag skating themselves while waiting for the contract resolution to resolve? I mean it make sense for them to enjoy themselves and do some minor workout rather than train hard and risk injury without a contract. They are kids they do what kid does best. Enjoying themselves and party. If they were fringe player looking to make a nhl team make sense to take the risk train hard to get a contract. For them if they get injured while waiting for a contract there will be 0 sympathy from the team nor the fans 

• Upvote 1

I wonder how well the Canucks can do without those two in the lineup. If Canucks can play at .500 or above without them for a few games, the pressure will be more on Hughes and Petey to get signed. If Canucks get out the gates on a major losing streak, Benning will feel major heat to get them signed.

3 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Interesting. Don't you guys have somewhere to be?

It's like calling in sick to work, then posting a photo of you out with your friends

Except not really at all, I'm just overreacting haha 

Ok. You want me to actually go through this I guess:

40 minutes ago, TheNewGM said:

Pettersson missed 11 games in his first season due to a pair of injuries, most notably getting choke slammed on his head a la The Undertaker. His 2nd season Pettersson missed 1 game due to the flu, I believe. Is it somehow Pettersson's fault that the league shut down the the 2019-20 season due to Covid? 3rd season he missed extensive time due to injury but he has still put up the 30th best p/gp in the league since he joined and deserves to be paid as such.

Quinn Hughes Career Stats:

Official NHL.com +/-: -34 (Ouch, that looks bad, but still better than Dahlin)

Actual All Situations +/-: +32!!! (also better than Dahlin who is at a +1 in all situatuions)

but wait... how did I come up with such a wierd, magical number....

That's easy. In his career Quinn Hughes has been on the ice for 167 goals for the Canucks and 135 goals against the Canucks. Would you like some help with the math?

DAHLIN > HUGHES

Can you please name one actual category where Dahlin out performs Hughes aside from hits because basically, literally every stat says Hughes out performs Dahlin.

Edited by 204CanucksFan
  • Cheers 1

Training camp is over.  First preseason game is tomorrow. Petey and Quinn are unsigned and in Michigan.

Glad these two are having fun. They deserve it.  They are fantastic long term Canucks and have earned this over many years, so they should be able to do whatever they want whenever they want for as long as they want and hold off signing as long as they please. None of that will have anything but a positive effect on their teammates, the team, the coaches, the fans, everybody. Everybody will be lifted up by seeing them have fun.

Terrific job boys! Go Michigan!

28 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

So what should they be doing? Training hard and bag skating themselves while waiting for the contract resolution to resolve? I mean it make sense for them to enjoy themselves and do some minor workout rather than train hard and risk injury without a contract. They are kids they do what kid does best. Enjoying themselves and party. If they were fringe player looking to make a nhl team make sense to take the risk train hard to get a contract. For them if they get injured while waiting for a contract there will be 0 sympathy from the team nor the fans 

I would say it's not a particularly good look