The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | Quinn Hughes - Contract Discussion Thread

Rate this topic

Bertuzzipunch

1 hour ago, combover said:

I get Dickinson and building a winner but doesn’t that mean you need to have your two best players in the lineup . 
these two are part of the core group and the foundation to build up from.

signing support players is great if they have someone to support. 

I think till get worked out but at what cost now 

We needed a positive feel good camp

after the disaster last season. Now this camp has started with a cloud over it and it’s Vancouver so if there’s a cloud the rain isn’t far behind.  

You sign players like Dickinson first because those contracts are easier to do.   Why do we need a positive feel good camp?  So that you feel good?  It's the regular season that counts, not training camp.  I don't care about what happens at training camp either.  It's the exhibition games that are even more important than training camp.  That's where the players will either earn or lose their spots.  The only thing good about training camp, is that it symbolizes that the new season is about to start.

If you go by your logic and have to get your best players signed first, then we would have 4 RFAs unsigned and missing from camp, instead of just EP and QH.

• Cheers 1
  • RoughGame 1

12 hours ago, qwijibo said:

The Hughes contract suggestion is possible under the CBA.  The Pettersson one isn’t.  If his AAV is $7.25m the qualifying offer maxes out at $8.7m (120% of the contract AAV) 

Neither is possible. Rules changed, QO is based on AAV. 
Brock’s deal is grandfathered through so it applies to his QO, but row QH’s and EP’s would be based on AAV. 

13 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

Neither is possible. Rules changed, QO is based on AAV. 
Brock’s deal is grandfathered through so it applies to his QO, but row QH’s and EP’s would be based on AAV. 

The QO is still the last salary but there's now a cap at 120% of the AAV. 

If on a 7M aav the last salary is 7M - the QO is 7M and not 8.4M.

If the last salary is 9M - the QO is now 8.4M because of the 120% cap.

8 hours ago, Viper007 said:

You sign players like Dickinson first because those contracts are easier to do.   Why do we need a positive feel good camp?  So that you feel good?  It's the regular season that counts, not training camp.  I don't care about what happens at training camp either.  It's the exhibition games that are even more important than training camp.  That's where the players will either earn or lose their spots.  The only thing good about training camp, is that it symbolizes that the new season is about to start.

If you go by your logic and have to get your best players signed first, then we would have 4 RFAs unsigned and missing from camp, instead of just EP and QH.

No we would have signed ep and hughes FIRST and had plenty of time to get the deals you called easy to do done. 
oh no not 4 bottom six rfas unsigned you think there would be 200 pages of those 4 weren’t signed.

And it’s pearson poolman were the mistakes 

that we didn’t need to sign until of top line Center Calder winning all star and top pair Calder runner up was under contract.

And we needed a positive camp because this teams been a total disaster  for 7 seasons. The gm had to be told he WASNT FIRED. Now the 8th is starting off without our two best players. 
good thing you don’t care. 

19 minutes ago, combover said:

No we would have signed ep and hughes FIRST and had plenty of time to get the deals you called easy to do done. 
oh no not 4 bottom six rfas unsigned you think there would be 200 pages of those 4 weren’t signed.

that we didn’t need to sign until of top line Center Calder winning all star and top pair Calder runner up was under contract.

And we needed a positive camp because this teams been a total disaster  for 7 seasons. The gm had to be told he WASNT FIRED. Now the 8th is starting off without our two best players. 

you need to relax. A lot of the quality role player UFAs would be scooped up quickly. RFAs are generally saved for later because other teams can't swing in and sign them. Stars holding out into training camp for top dollar isn't new. Bo and boeser both signed late. Dahlin just signed and obviously BT, QH, and EP have yet to. I think Matthew Tkachuk signed late as well? The examples are many with RFAs signing late. I don't like it but don't act like it is some how Benning's fault for not signing them in June. Benning is working to get a team friendly deal that is fair to the players. In the end, that is what we all want. We just have to wait it out and save judgement for when it happens.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, combover said:

How many Cups (even rounds of the playoffs) have teams won that are overpaying their star players?  Leafs?  Oilers?  Rangers?  Hawks?  

56 minutes ago, combover said:

Actually no. You end up having to do Dickinson first because the Pettersson and Hughes contracts are much more complicated but don't really have an actual deadline outside of the Dec. 1 RFA deadline. Dickinson, however, does have a very firm deadline because he is arbitration eligible and filed for it, as is his right.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Viper007 said:

In all fairness we'd miss out on combover's unending bitching about all things Benning and Canucks so really it only be 4 bad things to 3.  <_<

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Alflives said:

How many Cups (even rounds of the playoffs) have teams won that are overpaying their star players?  Leafs?  Oilers?  Rangers?  Hawks?  

How many have we won by doing what we’re doing? 
you think this team stands a chance without those two?  I don’t. 
Over paying is a pretty loose term maybe an a slight over payment today but what do you think hughes and ep will want in three years after being cheaped out on. “Hope they take a discount” after this lol good luck. 

I hate the oilers but they have a group that’s one or two good moves from being a powerhouse. 

Hawks over paid there guys after they won and are paying them for declining. I rather pay a premium now to lock in guys that haven’t hit their prime than over pay a 30 year for six years. (Cough OEL.) 

doesn't Tampa have some expensive contracts 

didnt the kings Win when they had capped out with stars. 

long term will be a bargain in 3 years as apposed to doing this again in 3 years when they are in their prime and want  double.

“overpay”  to see you asset grow 22-28 or “overpay” and watch you asset diminish 28-36. 

7 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

In all fairness we'd miss out on combover's unending bitching about all things Benning and Canucks so really it only be 4 bad things to 3.  <_<

Lol.

if they don’t sign that’ll be fixed to since Jb wont last another losing 10 game skid or season

3 minutes ago, JM_ said:

Does anyone else find it ironic that the Benning bashers want Jim to overpay? 

Why Keep saying over pay.

Ep is the teams best player 

top line Center so he’s 22 you’d be okay with 12 mill when hes 24? Oh he’s a UFA so it’s okay to throw money away then. 
Ive never liked the bridge deals I remember when subban signed his bridge  now  look at what teams are paying for now. Lol what a bargain. 

Edited by combover

1 hour ago, Jester13 said:

Any moment now.

"Soon"

I'm over the whole being mad at them as my over reaction when Jack stuck his nose in.   I'm just sad they're not here, joining in for camp and getting to know/bond with teammates.  Brock's having so much fun and it really makes me miss Petey.  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, MikeBossy said:

The same people who didn't want him to overpay in Free Agency and yet they want him to just give these two whatever they want? Confusing isn't it. 

Because true Over paying for a 30 year olds has worked out so well around the league but especially in Vancouver.