The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | Quinn Hughes - Contract Discussion Thread

Rate this topic

Bertuzzipunch

Hughes is probably overpaid for his current abilities but with that said there is the likelihood that he grows into that contract in year 2-3ish. It's a calculated risk on the organization's part and I'm ok with it. EP's deal seems to be fair for both sides. All in all, I think the fans, the Canucks, and the players should be happy with this outcome. Though one would think that these could have been agreed upon sooner. Most of us plebs on this forum accurately assessed their AAV. At least they will get a pre-season game in.

3 minutes ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

Hughes is probably overpaid for his current abilities but with that said there is the likelihood that he grows into that contract in year 2-3ish. It's a calculated risk on the organization's part and I'm ok with it. EP's deal seems to be fair for both sides. All in all, I think the fans, the Canucks, and the players should be happy with this outcome. Though one would think that these could have been agreed upon sooner. Most of us plebs on this forum accurately assessed their AAV. At least they will get a pre-season game in.

I'd say they were trying to squeeze JB and he wouldnt move much

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, tas said:

assuming these contracts proceed as reported, we're at a point now where we have to low key start considering jim benning to be the most underrated gm in the league ... maybe ever? all he ever gets is $&!# on by the fans, the media, the twitter analytics dummies and everyone else and look what he's built. of course there have been missteps along the way because there always are, but he vastly exceeds his reputation and is never given credit when due. 

No matter what, the sky is falling, the sky is falling! Nothing wrong with these contracts AT ALL, if that's how they stand. EP, with Barzal money, for 3 more years, and QH, with far less than Nurse money. Still room under the cap, if guys like Sutter, and Hamonic aren't able to go, to get another defenseman into camp. 4 more pre season games, I doubt they play tonight, left, so lots of time to get up to speed.

1 hour ago, Chris12345 said:

It's also more than Wayne Gretzky took in his prime.

Inflation and growth, they matter.

When did Wayne sign his last contract? When did the Sedins? Has your wage risen as much from when the Sedins signed to today? Didn’t think so… kids are entitled today. 

• Haha 1
  • Wat 1
  • RoughGame 1

9 hours ago, Mossberg said:

Isn't Demers the one who refused to waive his no trade clause to the Canucks a couple years ago?  If so pass on that

1 hour ago, FlyLow_ said:

Demers can kick rocks, he's openly stated he didn't want to play in Vancouver and denied a trade here before.

Different circumstances. He'd just recently signed a $4.5 deal. One he would have had to have paid higher taxes on coming here, with a higher cost of living, all to play on a team in the depths of a rebuild.

Now we're a team coming out of that rebuild, with a solid, young group, and he's looking to stay in the league.

If Hamonic indeed opts out, he's likely our best bet.

8 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Dude - JP Barry is not involved in this.   Pat Brisson is the agent for both players.    Did JP run over your dog or something.   You even started a thread just to bash JP.    Met the guy and he isn't that bad - really.    :lol:

dude, its a discussion over tactics.

7 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

lmao sedins took 10% of the salary cap each back when they signed.. if the rumor is true on what they are signing that's less than 10% so how is it they took more? like u know currency/market inflates? price for living inflates? just like everything else inflates?

Sedins in their prime… not 22 years old but had proven themselves. Maybe Canucks fans have been spoiled by players who want to prove themselves first and win and are willing to leave money on the table for other hard working players on the team. 

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 2

7 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

lmao sedins took 10% of the salary cap each back when they signed.. if the rumor is true on what they are signing that's less than 10% so how is it they took more? like u know currency/market inflates? price for living inflates? just like everything else inflates?

Is that like econinimics?

3 minutes ago, ABNucksfan said:

Sedins in their prime… not 22 years old but had proven themselves. Maybe Canucks fans have been spoiled by players who want to prove themselves first and win and are willing to leave money on the table for other hard working players on the team. 

Then again, they could get Stan Smyl, Mark Messier, Mats Sundin, Daniel and Henrik Sedin, or Markus Naslund money in the twilight of their careers. You folks won't stop will you? 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, JM_ said:

dude, its a discussion over tactics.

I get that Pat is their agent but JP has been yapping on behalf of CAA about these deals quite a bit. Doesn't surprise me that posters are mentioning him as he has been around for a while. 

https://canucksarmy.com/2021/06/15/caa-agent-j-p-barry-speaks-elias-pettersson-quinn-hughes-contract-negotiations/

https://www.thedailygoalhorn.com/nhl-rumors-elias-pettersson-and-quinn-hughes-closing-in-on-new-deals-ryan-strome-not-listening-to-trade-rumors-and-more/

“I know the talks have intensified between the Vancouver Canucks and the agents for Quinn Hughes and Elias Pettersson, that’s J.P. Barry and Pat Brisson from CAA Sports,” Darren Dreger said on Insider Trading.

• Vintage 1

Petterson at 7.7 x 3.

Is this a good deal? I see him putting up pt/game this season while being an above average 2 way player (he doesn't have the size and strength to battle but his mental and defensive awareness / drive makes up for it)

That's prob what we'll see in the next 1-2 years and he might take another step in year 3 as he builds more strength. 

Anyway, I'm ok if other players who are at this level is getting paid 7.7.

However, we should not be paying for potential at this point as this is a short term deal and he should be getting paid as the player he is today rather than the player we hope him to be. 

Hughes I think is fair. The money will even out over the term and he may be a bargain in years 5 and 6.

If he can be a Brian Rafalski level defensemen while racking up points, that's a win. 

I could see Rafalski being the poor man's version of what Quinn will end up being when he hits his ceiling which is actually pretty great. 

• RoughGame 1

14 minutes ago, ABNucksfan said:

When did Wayne sign his last contract? When did the Sedins? Has your wage risen as much from when the Sedins signed to today? Didn’t think so… kids are entitled today. 

From when I retired 13 years ago, wages in every trade have gone up significantly in that period. I think so!

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I get that Pat is their agent but JP has been yapping on behalf of CAA about these deals quite a bit. Doesn't surprise me that posters are mentioning him as he has been around for a while. 

https://canucksarmy.com/2021/06/15/caa-agent-j-p-barry-speaks-elias-pettersson-quinn-hughes-contract-negotiations/

https://www.thedailygoalhorn.com/nhl-rumors-elias-pettersson-and-quinn-hughes-closing-in-on-new-deals-ryan-strome-not-listening-to-trade-rumors-and-more/

“I know the talks have intensified between the Vancouver Canucks and the agents for Quinn Hughes and Elias Pettersson, that’s J.P. Barry and Pat Brisson from CAA Sports,” Darren Dreger said on Insider Trading.

I know,  I didn't want to bring that up, Rob seemed very happy with himself and I didn't want to ruin the moment.

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, Locke Lamora said:

Did people really expect them NOT to sign? Not sure this is worthy of a forum implosion

But hey, its still good news, don’t get me wrong

No, fully expected them to sign - I just wonder if they will be docked pay for not showing up at training cam - IE, they lose a few weeks of their salaries for that.

Makes me wonder if that tweet before, where the guy says he saw Petey and Quinn at the airport in Michigan was true. They could be here right now and have already signed.  Expecting the big announcement this morning sometime - followed by Hamonic news that he's also here ready to play.  Maybe?

Canucks are gonna be good this year :towel:

1 hour ago, ABNucksfan said:

This is absurd. 

I don't even know how this is a debate. 

Did the Sedins really try to max out their pay??? 

You don't think they could have gotten more as back to back art Ross winners and literally 2 of the best players in the league? They both won an art Ross. They were both  in the running for the hart trophy. 

Petterson and Hughes are not yet in the conversation as the best players in the NHL... 

Once Petterson wins an art Ross and is up for the Hart and Hughes wins the Norris or the Hart, maybe then we can compare? 

I do have faith that Petterson and Hughes can be Hart Norris, Art Ross winners but they are not there yet. 

Edit... Removed the part about millennials... That was a poor choice on my part. 

Sorry! 

Edited by CanucksJay
  • Cheers 4