The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | Quinn Hughes - Contract Discussion Thread

Rate this topic

Bertuzzipunch

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

That's risky.   EP could explode this year or the next ... if he doesn't he's still like a Sedin out there during their prime minus their peak year.    He explodes and the next deal is going to cost major bank.    He's got a Mckinnon trend in him possibly.    I'd be happy to lock him up for 8 years.    But would pay him anticipating a PGP (point per gamed played).   That's Sedin like money, 6.1 back then, so in today's money that's 7.75-8.25 tops.   The last 3-6 years the cap will start rising again.   Back then the cap was rising again and like 8.6.   

QHs i'd like a 2 year deal... 

If Petey has a lot of success and his wrist is back to normal then management will have no problem paying him what he is worth.

This team has a short window before they have more cap issues. 

I would save as much cap space to go all in now.

Boeser coming up next year. Miller and Bo are UFA's the year after. Now that they have brought in OEL  and Garland.

IT IS GO TIME. ALL IN.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, IBatch said:

First of all i agree they really haven't earned much more then BB money.   It's flat cap for three years at least, possibly five.    GMs made some big mistakes so far this off season.   Makar - hasn't earned top three money, neither has Seth Jones.   Hamilton yes of course he has, four years in a row as a top RHD in this league, was on his way to winning a Norris two years ago, plus freaking 30 in 48ish games and almost as many points too, fourth in voting this year as well.  Three years younger then AP was in his walk year and tops or top five in virtually every 5 x 5 catagory.    Better then AP really.   And AP signed in Vegas, making more then Hamilton take home wise.  It's flat cap.   So deals signed three years ago are what they should be considering not bumping pay up like this.   Barzal was signed after flat cap.   Don't like that deal much either.    AHO doesn't count, thought cap was going up, neither does any contracts signed a year or so before covid.    GMs have all these smart people working for them but somehow just keep creating inflation for everyone else.   Seth Jones...wow.   Werenski WTF!!.   Idiotic.   Rant over.   Sakic also overpaid Rantanen.   Good luck keeping COL together now that he's made TWO blunder deals.   Mckinnon?  He's getting 13 somewhere when he's up but not in COL.   Best to win a cup now.   He's helping boost ALL those guys stats.   Says he would do it again (sign cheap - which of course he didn't, he got a fair deal for what he'd done so far and didn't bet on himself)...  Landeskog ...Why would he?  

EP hasn't played more then 60ish games yet.   Couldn't because of injuries first and third season, the other one who knows maybe he could.    PGP is pretty close to BB.   BB played with Horvat and Bear his rookie season lol.   EP played with Miller and BB.   For sure he's loaded with potential.   But you have to balance with what has actually happened too.   6.25 x 3 compared to BB deal.   He isn't very good at face offs although getting better.   C is more important but he's sheltered (and well done JB for this) with Miller ... they share the duties to a certain degree.   That's why he should  get  500k more.     

QHs.   Tough one.  Again we haven't seen 82 games but good on him for not having to take time out although he was beat up in the bubble..we still don't know if he has 115 plus games in him in one year.    Will give him the benefit of the doubt on that one.    He's a top ten scoring D too.   That for sure counts for something.   He's also not providing much value once you take the PP points out of the equation.   Let's be real, he's a third paring 5 x 5 D that wouldn't be in the league as a D if it wasn't for his transition game which is superb.  Chabot, Chychrun, McAvoy, Werenksi, Sergachev.   Where does he fit in with these guys?  He's no Heiskanen or Makar.   I'd give him at most, a BB deal. Let him earn his next deal.  EP i'd be stoked if we went full 8 on him.   We need to see what Podz can do still as well.    If he's a 40-50 point third line guy who's plus 20 and kills all the penalties .... who's more valuable?   Point is don't sell the farm yet.    And that's what i truly thing both guys have earned so far.   Both have massive ceilings.   Both haven't shown enough they've earned 9x6 (like and including Makar), or 8.5 x 5 like AHO.      What i expect to see, mostly because other GMs have made it really tough - 7.25 x 3 for EP and 6.5 x 3 for QHs.  

I see what your saying, but EP didn't play with high-end scorers (Miller and Boeser) in his rookie year (at 5 on 5). He played with Eriksson and Goldobin. I'd say Boeser had the better line mates as a rookie, and Boeser got to be the right shot triggerman for the Sedins on the PP.

• Cheers 1

27 minutes ago, MattJVD said:

I see what your saying, but EP didn't play with high-end scorers (Miller and Boeser) in his rookie year (at 5 on 5). He played with Eriksson and Goldobin. I'd say Boeser had the better line mates as a rookie, and Boeser got to be the right shot triggerman for the Sedins on the PP.

Yes that's right.   EP did some pretty amazing stuff his first year.   The entire hockey world and of course us as fans are waiting to see that again.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, appleboy said:

If Petey has a lot of success and his wrist is back to normal then management will have no problem paying him what he is worth.

This team has a short window before they have more cap issues. 

I would save as much cap space to go all in now.

Boeser coming up next year. Miller and Bo are UFA's the year after. Now that they have brought in OEL  and Garland.

IT IS GO TIME. ALL IN.

Don't forget we should have two windows with these guys but for sure the first one is most critical given cap issues later on that might/probably will come in again after any bridges.    To me this window is mostly about getting reps with this core.   We don't have any superstars.   So don't have worry about that sort of thing.    But on that note just look how long it took Ovi and Stamkos to lift the cup.   They were both on their second cores.   Ovi had Green (who for a little while was the leagues best or second best offensive D), Semin et al... but won with a total different crew.   Stamkos and Hedman almost went to the final in 2011 with St. Louis ... totally different core won the cup a decade later.    We surely have gone as far as "all in" as we can with Horvat and Miller.   But not expecting to win a cup with them either.   I'm expecting reps in the playoffs.   And our best chance will be when EP is 28-32.   

Edit:  Not trying to be a downer.  Sure maybe we win the cup this year and all is forgiven, JB/TG get immortalized and we will want a second cup.    Point is, these guys are so darn young, and it's far from the norm a team wins with their key guys during that first window.  St. Louis.   The only teams that did win was CHI and i guess LA.   5 cups.   PIT also won because Crosby and Malkin got screwed on this too, are two of the top hundred guys to ever play.    Crosby is going to be a top ten all-time C when he retires.  Maybe even a top five but i probably won't agree to that.   But for sure is a generational talent, as is Ovi.    We don't have anything like that in our lineup, our best chance is to be a team like St. Louis.   Or CAR....a throwback ANA team also won.   This team doesn't have the talent to win a cup without spreading out the depth.   Which i think it has.   We don't have the firepower to overcome our D deficiencies yet.   A LOT would have to go right.  Like OJ finally living up to his draft spot, and Podz coming in and becoming this teams Russian Linden which i actually believe is possible. 

Double Edit:  Demko.   Is he for real as far as bubble Demko goes?   Hasek/Roy level stuff.   He's also our best chance at a cup with this core.   

Edited by IBatch

1 hour ago, Dumb Nuck said:

Hughes is now the longest tenured Canucks defenseman.

He was also the 7th worst +/- in the league last year.

Is that a FACT?  R U Serious?  I thought it was TG fault for all of our failures...can't wait for do bubble magic this year and the FIRE  GREEN  stuff.  Kermit The Frog GIF

Edited by IBatch
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Is that a FACT?  R U Serious?  I thought it was TG fault for all of our failures...can't wait for do bubble magic this year and the FIRE  GREEN  stuff.  Kermit The Frog GIF

Yes, both those are facts and yes, I blame Green.

• Cheers 2

4 hours ago, drummerboy said:

Awwww.   Don’t like getting called out on your homer nonsense?  My reading comprehension was fine.  You going off like Petar Pan in Neverland is another story.  

I never mentioned 5-6 (even though that is a fair number considering Quinn is a one trick pony)

Quinn WAS a comparable to Makar a couple years ago. He has always been a bit behind him, now it’s not even close.  Only a couple of rose coloured glasses kinda people such as yourself think he is. 

Again, I guess you have some reading comprehension issues as I mentioned the other poster "VancouverHabitat" said he should be offered a 5 or 6 million dollar contract. I never mentioned anything about you and the nonsense you are spewing. :lol: 

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

Yes, I also 100% agree with Dumb Nuck and believe it or not we are not one and the same - rather amazingly there are actually two people (maybe more) out in the world with differing opinions than you who haven't completely swallowed the TG/JB kool-aid and who are as passionate fans as you are but see things a bit differently .  So please show some respect to your fellow Canucks family. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Dumb Nuck said:

Think about how many times Hughes got burnt because his shifts were way too long, that’s on Green.

Yep.   No disagreement here.   Think of how many times we lost too.  A lot.   We will see next year.   I think he's done alright by the guys he's had to work with. 

2 hours ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Yes, I also 100% agree with Dumb Nuck and believe it or not we are not one and the same - rather amazingly there are actually two people (maybe more) out in the world with differing opinions than you who haven't completely swallowed the TG/JB kool-aid and who are as passionate fans as you are but see things a bit differently .  So please show some respect to your fellow Canucks family. 

Of course your welcome members!  I love Dumb Nucks method of making a point.  And loved 189lbs too.  And the guardians.   It was a playful poke nothing more nothing less.  

Edit:  Even we win a cup i still expect nothing less then a FIRE GREEN every thread. 

Edited by IBatch

24 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Yep.   No disagreement here.   Think of how many times we lost too.  A lot.   We will see next year.   I think he's done alright by the guys he's had to work with. 

He’s a skilled player run by a bad coach, in fact I like our team, always have, I’ve only ever had one issue, actually two, first, Green is a terrible coach, second, the orca jersey sucks.

Now should we win a cup under Green I’ll never post “Fire Green” ever again and I’ll rush out to buy an orca jersey.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, RU SERIOUS said:

You complain about being labelled then go on to label others in the same sentence. If you don't want to be characterized for your negative outlook, then don't do that to those who disagree with you. Take your own advice and be respectful of other peoples viewpoints.

• Thanks 1