The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | Quinn Hughes - Contract Discussion Thread

Rate this topic

Bertuzzipunch

Was listening to SN650.  They had a guy from The Athletic.

Says likely EP to get a bridge deal similar to Barzel.  $7.25-7.5m x 3yr.  

Says QH is a bit more complex cuz he has no real comparable. Might go bridge then score big like Werenski.  Maybe MacAvoy or Werenksi type bridge deal ($5M x 3yr) he suggested.  Says of the 2, QH would be the one to sign a long term deal.

• Like 1

I'd just do bridge deal for both of them.

Don't like the idea of paying young players way too much money for so many years before they win anything.

EP and QH haven't had a sniff of winning.

Sign EP to Barzal type deal, QH to 5.5-6 x 3 years. Leave some cap space so that we can add a player (rental or not) depending on how the season goes and also leave some space for Brock, Bo, and Miller down the road.

If they win something or get close to contending by the end of their contracts, we can considering rewarding them with 8 year 9+ million dollar deals.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

this is why the Uber-agents annoy me. Its a critical year to have everyone in camp learning new systems and getting the pairings set. I really hate it when the agents recommend their players sit camp out, it hurts their performance and the team. 

The kids at any time can say enough is enough. If it drags into camp that's on them every bit as it is on the agent. Pretty obvious with our remaining cap it's not about the dollar, its term and/or contract structure that's the holdup. Expecting 3/5 year for both. Toronto ruined contracts for everybody, Every kid will now want the same sort of deal post ELC that takes them to UFA asap. Maximizing the potential two monster deals in their careers as opposed to the typical ufa when 28 we are use to seeing

• Cheers 1

Just now, Mustard Tiger said:

The kids at any time can say enough is enough. If it drags into camp that's on them every bit as it is on the agent. Pretty obvious with our remaining cap it's not about the dollar, its term and/or contract structure that's the holdup. Expecting 3/5 year for both. Toronto ruined contracts for everybody, Every kid will now want the same sort of deal post ELC that takes them to UFA asap. Maximizing the potential two monster deals in their careers as opposed to the typical ufa when 28 we are use to seeing

yup Dubas didn't help. 

I don't blame the kids, I mean when we were all 22 and had millions on the line we'd be listening to our agents. 

3 year deals seems fine to me, but I guess they could be pushing for deals that takes them both to UFA status. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

yup Dubas didn't help. 

I don't blame the kids, I mean when we were all 22 and had millions on the line we'd be listening to our agents. 

3 year deals seems fine to me, but I guess they could be pushing for deals that takes them both to UFA status. 

5.5x3 for huggy, 6.5x3 for ep. I'm expecting 500k/1m more though due to these donkey bigshot agents however. I would consider upwards of 8 on a long term with EP. Too much godly hockey skill and swede center. Cant let him go.

Huggy has the potential to be a HUGE cup window extending trade chip if alot of other things go right, So i'm only willing to bridge him unless he would take a 6m long term.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

13 minutes ago, 70seven said:

3 x 7.8 for Petey  

6 x 7.2 for Quinn

That seems too much for that short of term for Petey. I’d think more like 6.5 for 3 yrs with him, but I really hope they sign for longer.

25 minutes ago, Slegr said:

That seems too much for that short of term for Petey. I’d think more like 6.5 for 3 yrs with him, but I really hope they sign for longer.

Everything I’ve heard is it’ll be on par with Barzals bridge @ 7.5…  but expect slight inflation… tougher taxes here

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Petey at $6,940,000 x 3 with a nod to not only his number but his line mates as well.

Hughes at $6,430,000 x 6 years... Expires right when OEL does.

No way they should be giving hughes anything like that.  He still has a lot to prove on the defensive side of the puck and he's still not a surefire star until he shows he's got more to his game.  If they sign him long term and he's a one trick pony he will be unmoveable

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, stawns said:

No way they should be giving hughes anything like that.  He still has a lot to prove on the defensive side of the puck and he's still not a surefire star until he shows he's got more to his game.  If they sign him long term and he's a one trick pony he will be unmoveable

Are we worried he's 'only' a 'Tyson Barrie'? 

I'm not particularly. YMMV. I have little problem sighing him for 6 years, at a reasonable hit, that expires right when OEL does.

Otherwise, we're looking at something closer to $5m for a short 3 year bridge.

4 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Are we worried he's 'only' a 'Tyson Barrie'? 

I'm not particularly. YMMV. I have little problem sighing him for 6 years, at a reasonable hit, that expires right when OEL does.

Otherwise, we're looking at something closer to $5m for a short 3 year bridge.

I do think there's a definite Tyson Barrie risk, yes.  If they sign him for 6 years and it turns out he can't play defense and other teams figure out how to shut down his offense then they're stuck with a big contract for a long time.  

Though I think a show me deal is the way to go for both players, moreso for Hughes.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, stawns said:

I do think there's a definite Tyson Barrie risk, yes.  If they sign him for 6 years and it turns out he can't play defense and other teams figure out how to shut down his offense then they're stuck with a big contract for a long time.  

Though I think a show me deal is the way to go for both players, moreso for Hughes.

Even if he only becomes 'Barrie' level (which IMO is doubtful), that's still on average worth around $5.5m+/- as a UFA, in today's dollars

I wouldn't be particularly worried about paying Hughes that to lock him in for 6 years. The cap risk isn't really as dire as your making it out to be and IMO, Hughes is as good or a better player than Barrie already. Never mind any development.

Edited by aGENT