The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT - Preseason] Calgary @ Vancouver Monday, Sept. 27/21 7:00 PM Abbotsford Centre

Rate this topic

-DLC-

17 minutes ago, Chickenspear said:

If he put  himself in a better position, yes, he had enough time to make a play. Yes it is a peewee level play to tie your man up and take a penalty.

I'm saying he should have been moving towards the middle, facing the middle, and chipping it off the wall behind him on his backhand, where his winger is... what is so hard to understand about that? 

Off a scramble draw like that? the winger pushed the puck back to Guddy, so now if he ties up a man, it's interference. 

If he had moved to the middle as I have said, he would have opened up the backhand chip to the wall, which his winger could retrieve, being the closest to where it should have ended up.

And yes, I played for 17 or so years. I was a scoring forward that could play C, and both wings, while being defensively responsible, which involves covering the point when the d-man jumps up, and making those types of plays. 

DUDE HES ON HIS BACKHAND THE FORWARD IS BEHIND HIM. The puck STILL has to move  LATERALLY BACK TOWARD the forward. He is still under pressure and has to move the puck in a similar path as his attempt to drag it back in.

So you played Hockey.. good to know, I still do and I am a Dman.

So let me just walk you through this one more time.

Guddy took the puck on his backhand, correct?

It was in tight on his backhand, correct?

He got poke checked trying to shift it from backhand to forehand, while the puck was still on his backhand, correct?

Okay now that we broke down that play, lets break down the play you wanted him to make.

Puck is on his backhand, he should move it on his backhand to the forward on the wall. Right?

How do you move the puck on your backhand behind you? By moving the puck across your body.

If he makes a backhand pass, he has to somewhat follow through, you cant make a pass without moving your stick. HE WOULD STILL BE POKE CHECKED. ITS A BACKHAND PLAY EITHER WAY. Passing or shifting it to the forehand And now Im the pissed off Dman because you are the goal scoring forward who parted the bloody seas and is looking to chisel a tip in shot from the point. Meanwhile im dealing with a puck in tight on my backhand with a guy coming almost full speed and Im still just trying to get control of the puck. 

100% that is your fault for putting me in that situation and not buying me any time, the only way I can possibly buy myself a split second of time is to try and make lateral movement to open up space because YOU left your man free to walk right up the middle and attack me.

CA00D064-6548-4809-B29A-7BCC64390178.jpeg

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, bbllpp said:

Anyone else want to see the mayhem caused by:

Gadj-Miller-Podz

Hog-petey-boes
pears-horvat-garland
gadj-miller-podz

motte-dickinson-lockwood
sutter/pizza

oel-poolman
huggy-hamonic ( if his personal issue gets resolved )
boner-myers
OJ/hunt

Demko/halak

poolman to the 1st pair and pears on the 2nd just to rustle peoples jimmies.

Still lots of of pre-season to go so opinions could change as we play better competition 

• Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, knucklehead91 said:

DUDE HES ON HIS BACKHAND THE FORWARD IS BEHIND HIM. The puck STILL has to move  LATERALLY BACK TOWARD the forward. He is still under pressure and has to move the puck in a similar path as his attempt to drag it back in.

So you played Hockey.. good to know, I still do and I am a Dman.

So let me just walk you through this one more time.

Guddy took the puck on his backhand, correct?

It was in tight on his backhand, correct?

He got poke checked trying to shift it from backhand to forehand, while the puck was still on his backhand, correct?

Okay now that we broke down that play, lets break down the play you wanted him to make.

Puck is on his backhand, he should move it on his backhand to the forward on the wall. Right?

How do you move the puck on your backhand behind you? By moving the puck across your body.

If he makes a backhand pass, he has to somewhat follow through, you cant make a pass without moving your stick. HE WOULD STILL BE POKE CHECKED. ITS A BACKHAND PLAY EITHER WAY. Passing or shifting it to the forehand And now Im the pissed off Dman because you are the goal scoring forward who parted the bloody seas and is looking to chisel a tip in shot from the point. Meanwhile im dealing with a puck in tight on my backhand with a guy coming almost full speed and Im still just trying to get control of the puck. 

100% that is your fault for putting me in that situation and not buying me any time, the only way I can possibly buy myself a split second of time is to try and make lateral movement to open up space because YOU left your man free to walk right up the middle and attack me.

CA00D064-6548-4809-B29A-7BCC64390178.jpeg

I know that's what Guddy tried to do, but that freeze frame is when he's already started him momentum back towards the boards. He had the time if he had kept his momentum towards the middle, opening up the backhand play. Note the angle of his skates in that frame. Arrow on the left is exaggerated, but 2'-3' more to the middle would have made the difference.

guddy fuck up.png

37 minutes ago, Chickenspear said:

If he put  himself in a better position, yes, he had enough time to make a play. Yes it is a peewee level play to tie your man up and take a penalty.

I'm saying he should have been moving towards the middle, facing the middle, and chipping it off the wall behind him on his backhand, where his winger is... what is so hard to understand about that? 

Off a scramble draw like that? the winger pushed the puck back to Guddy, so now if he ties up a man, it's interference. 

If he had moved to the middle as I have said, he would have opened up the backhand chip to the wall, which his winger could retrieve, being the closest to where it should have ended up.

And yes, I played for 17 or so years. I was a scoring forward that could play C, and both wings, while being defensively responsible, which involves covering the point when the d-man jumps up, and making those types of plays. 

STAND YOUR GROUND!! BATTLE FOR THE LANE. Dont give the up the god damn highway to hell. Make him go around you, its buying your team time on the the ice to make a play. ITS NOT INTERFERENCE 

Guddy moved to the bloody middle to get the puck, he tried to step back the other way and get around the checker. If Guddy keeps going to the middle, on his bloody backhand he is an easy check. No lateral movement whatsoever. He is a sitting duck. What do you not understand about that. If he keeps going to the middle, on his backhand, he is stuck on his backhand and has very little options, far less options than trying to pull it to the forehand and dish it down low. 
I really get the sense you played hockey for fun and not competitively, no offence, but you are a bit confused.

• RoughGame 1

1 minute ago, knucklehead91 said:

STAND YOUR GROUND!! BATTLE FOR THE LANE. Dont give the up the god damn highway to hell. Make him go around you, its buying your team time on the the ice to make a play. ITS NOT INTERFERENCE 

Guddy moved to the bloody middle to get the puck, he tried to step back the other way and get around the checker. If Guddy keeps going to the middle, on his bloody backhand he is an easy check. No lateral movement whatsoever. He is a sitting duck. What do you not understand about that. If he keeps going to the middle, on his backhand, he is stuck on his backhand and has very little options, far less options than trying to pull it to the forehand and dish it down low. 
I really get the sense you played hockey for fun and not competitively, no offence, but you are a bit confused.

I loved the game, and was very competitive, fyi. If he hadn't made that transition back towards the wall, he would have gotten to the puck sooner, and been able to make the backhand play off the wall. Even if the backhand fails, at least he's moving in the right direction and not giving up a clear cut breakaway up the middle, rather keeping the forward to the outside so you can angle him out on the backcheck.

Man, why you getting so pissy?

11 minutes ago, Chickenspear said:

I know that's what Guddy tried to do, but that freeze frame is when he's already started him momentum back towards the boards. He had the time if he had kept his momentum towards the middle, opening up the backhand play. Note the angle of his skates in that frame. Arrow on the left is exaggerated, but 2'-3' more to the middle would have made the difference.

guddy fuck up.png

And look where the oilers stick is. Its taking away ANY backhand play. First off like i said a few times now. Look at where Gudbranson took the puck, it was in tight on his backhand side. If he keeps skating like you want him to, he is going to overskate the puck and its goint to be in even tighter to his feet and even more awkward to deal with on his backhand. If it was his forehand, SURE he could possibly skate onto it and push it forward and skate with it. It is not so easy to skate onto a puck in tight on your back hand

4709CAB6-5351-444D-9026-A89254BCCAF1.jpeg

B5E2B694-B8C1-414E-ACAD-3CFEF27976E9.jpeg

• Thanks 1