The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Josh Archibald out indefinitely due to heart condition

Rate this topic

No pun intended, but this is heartbreaking.  

A young man, in the prime of his career, with a new heart condition due to Covid.  

Archibald's story is sad, but I also hope it alerts more anti-vaxxers to the reality of the potential devastating effects of covid. 

I'm very pro vaccine but no one other than your doctor should be informing you on whether to get vaccinated or which vaccine to use.

Whether we like it or not there are people who have had yet rare as they are major health complications from vaccines because of rare medical conditions. So before we assume someone is dumb or selfish we should ask why they didn't get it.

I encourage everyone who can to get vaccinated but othering, segregating, and mocking people who are anti vaccine or vaccine hesitant isn't going to encourage them to get it, it's just going to make them dig their heels in.

I think the best way is education, transparency, and a bit of compassion.

I remember when Kamala Harris said she wouldn't get the vaccine because they were developed under the Trump administration, people saying these things have sewed mistrust. It's too bad that this pandemic has been soo politicized.

• Upvote 1

First of all, we don't know when this summer he had Covid.  

The 20-30 year old group was the last one to become eligible for vaccines.  

Second of all, it's very sad and pathetic to laugh at people dealing with health issues.  Don't do it, be better then that. 

12 minutes ago, on the cycle said:

I'm very pro vaccine but no one other than your doctor should be informing you on whether to get vaccinated or which vaccine to use.

Whether we like it or not there are people who have had yet rare as they are major health complications from vaccines because of rare medical conditions. So before we assume someone is dumb or selfish we should ask why they didn't get it.

I encourage everyone who can to get vaccinated but othering, segregating, and mocking people who are anti vaccine or vaccine hesitant isn't going to encourage them to get it, it's just going to make them dig their heels in.

I remember when Kamala Harris said she wouldn't get the vaccine because they were developed under the Trump administration, people saying these things have sewed mistrust. It's too bad that this pandemic has been soo politicized.

Exactly.  

Some of the pro-vaccine crowd is exhibiting the same tendencies that 12 year olds do when playing Call of Duty.  

13 minutes ago, on the cycle said:

There are a lot of other people who can advise you.  You make the decision.  Honestly, I had no need to ask my doctor.  I studied this stuff in university and am well versed in the current literature on the topic.  Vaccinologists, epidemiologists, immunologists, all of these have more information on the topic than your doctor. Your doctor knows your personal health history, which is their one advantage.  For 99% of people that is irrelevant as they have no allergies or underlying risks to vaccination.

4 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Second of all, it's very sad and pathetic to laugh at people dealing with health issues.  Don't do it, be better then that. 

I'm not laughing, however I do appreciate the irony of this situation.  Call it a character flaw if it makes you happy.

Just now, RogersTowell said:

There are a lot of other people who can advise you.  You make the decision. 

That's how you get to all the bad information that's being passed around for people that are scared of the vaccines.  

Vaccinated majority are so aggressive and judgmental without any chance of reasonable dialogue. Borderline bullies and quite discriminative.

Without a speck of intimate knowledge of the situation whatsoever, y'all just sitting back hucking personal and malicious insults at the guy.

Disappointment continues... 

The end.

Edited by bad alice french

1 hour ago, RogersTowell said:

There are a lot of other people who can advise you.  You make the decision.  Honestly, I had no need to ask my doctor.  I studied this stuff in university and am well versed in the current literature on the topic.  Vaccinologists, epidemiologists, immunologists, all of these have more information on the topic than your doctor. Your doctor knows your personal health history, which is their one advantage.  For 99% of people that is irrelevant as they have no allergies or underlying risks to vaccination.

I'm not laughing, however I do appreciate the irony of this situation.  Call it a character flaw if it makes you happy.

Your Doctor has access to the ingredient list of the vaccines and can inform you of if you are going to have an allergic reaction to any of them.....so yes talk to your doctor.

Just as you should believe in Vaccines you should be cautious and question the efficacy and safety of any medication and weigh the risk vs reward. Don't blindly follow scientists and experts that don't know your name or medical background. Be a critical think, be skeptical, but be willing to learn and change you mind.

All throughout this pandemic no one has talked about being healthy as Obesity and diabetes were two of the

biggest risk risk factors. We were told to mask, social distance, lockdown,

and vaccinate if a vaccine was available. Despite the fact that there were therapeutics and supplements such as Vitamin C&D both of which are cheap and widely available were not

pushed as preventative measures as over 80% Covid hospitalizations were Vitamin D deficient.

• Cheers 1

Just now, -SN- said:

You're thinking of Facebook. 

... and Whatsapp group chats.  Indeed, they often quote some quack science journals and people that have some backstreet accreditation that's related to science/health science.  

2 hours ago, on the cycle said:

He called it a “plandemic” - the tweet is in the article by Mark Spector posted by Alf earlier in this threat.

1 hour ago, on the cycle said:

Your Doctor has access to the ingredient list of the vaccines and can inform you of if you are going to have an allergic reaction to any of them.....so yes talk to your doctor.

Just as you should believe in Vaccines you should be cautious and question the efficacy and safety of any medication and weigh the risk vs reward. Don't blindly follow scientists and experts that don't know your name or medical background. Be a critical think, be skeptical, but be willing to learn and change you mind.

All throughout this pandemic no one has talked about being healthy as Obesity and diabetes were two of the

biggest risk risk factors. We were told to mask, social distance, lockdown,

and vaccinate if a vaccine was available. Despite the fact that there were therapeutics and supplements such as Vitamin C&D both of which are cheap and widely available were not

pushed as preventative measures as over 80% Covid hospitalizations were Vitamin D deficient.

Are obese people simply *unaware* of the health risks of being obese? Or is it more that their obesity is a result of an impulse that isn't actually that simple to get under control. Not to mention the hostile reaction that has typically been directed at anti obesity campaigns in the past. In fact, the main cohort of anti vax people right now pretty much distrust everything the government says as a rule. I don't see a rural kentuckian losing weight because the government asked them to. 

By the same token... lets just pretend that vitamins actually did something for a second. How much effect would a government "take your vitamins" campaign have? Not that much really. What could they do besides advertise. From a logistical standpoint a vaccine is a much better solution. a limited number of doses. You have it or you don't.

Edited by butters
because I don't proofread due to being a bad person

10 hours ago, PetterssonOrPeterson said:

The scary thing about Covid is how sneaky of a virus it is. 

Also unpredictable. I have a friend who is a doctor that had a 80 year old patient that tested positive for Covid during the summer. They kept him in the hospital but after sometime he had no major symptoms and felt perfectly fine, conversely she's also had young patients having serious symptoms.

So we still don't know a lot about Covid, so it's better to be safe and take the necessary safety precautions (wearing masks, taking the vaccine if you can, etc.) 

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, Patel Bure said:

No pun intended, but this is heartbreaking.  

A young man, in the prime of his career, with a new heart condition due to Covid.  

Archibald's story is sad, but I also hope it alerts more anti-vaxxers to the reality of the potential devastating effects of covid. 

**** him

• RoughGame 1

5 hours ago, Master Mind said:

There will sadly be people that take pleasure in this.

Hopefully for his sake he's able to recover and one day resume his NHL career. Likewise with Stalock.

this guy would rather put people; teammates, arena crew, fans at risk than doing what's right. i wouldn't shed a tear if he never played again

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1